Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is flossing your teeth a waste of time?

dentist flossing teeth

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,844 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Visits to the dentist are never pleasant. Not only do we have our pearly whites scraped, prodded and drilled, we then have to endure a telling-off for not having flossed.

Dentists insist it will keep our teeth sparkling and free from decay, as well as keeping our gums healthy. Regular flossing has even been said to protect us from heart disease.

Yet, for most of us who try wrestling with the tape, it only results in a cricked neck and bleeding gums.

And now, according to a provocative new book, Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye, it seems that dedicated followers of flossing could actually be wasting their time.

http://www.dailymail...got-wrong-.html

Posted Image

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,888 posts

• A belief should be freely chosen or not chosen, not demanded or ordered nor come should it come at the end of a fist or rifle.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

I floss..my teeth are tight against one another so I must. even if they weren't I still would because brushing alone doesn't dislodge all the particles.

Besides there are other things around than just plain floss. Those stick thingies with floss on them makes things easier, for me anyways.

#3    gnostic-deity

gnostic-deity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

• We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another. -Luciano de Crescenzo

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

i worked at a dentist for 8 years. we had a saying: "only floss the ones you want to keep". :)

oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive

#4    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

Eternal Seeker

• 3,858 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:36 AM

Now people can get off my case. I don't bother flossing unless I have stuff lodged in my teeth and my teeth are perfect.

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

#5    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,502 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

Attached File  false teeth.jpg   5.86K   0 downloadsWell I dont floss mine!

We pray for one last landing/ On the planet that gave us birth/ Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies/ And the cool, green hills of Earth.
Robert A. Heinlein

#6    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

That study doesn't say anything about the fact that if you don't floss, the crud that is between your teeth, food particles, plaque, bacteria,  will give you a serious case of halitosis!  Floss!  Please!  :P

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users