Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Existential Depression among the Gifted

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#151    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,032 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

View PostRender, on 10 December 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

I find ppl that put their energy in becoming a better person admirable instead of the ones that waste all their energy on dwelling on their issues without end.
The part you bolded in my post was a way of saying that some ppl who call themselves "gifted" and are therefore dwelling on their issues have to tell themselves they are superior intelligent-wise. But of course, this is not the case. They are allowing themselves to be paralized by their own circular thoughts. So i think we are agreeing. ;-)
yes i think essentially we are on the same page with this

#152    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,032 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostJinxdom, on 10 December 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

Mull this around in your head though. She(your mother) acted how she acted because she didn't understand you. (The source of the problem)

Hardly a space case, you want to be comfortable(Everybody wants to be comfortable to some extent). We all look for comfort in different ways. I wear baggy clothes, people think I do it to look gangsta, but I don't I do it for comfort(mostly because I don't like how some fabrics and tightness around certain parts of my body feel sound familiar :P). Nor can I wear watches, jewelery, or ties.

The color thing isn't that far fetched either colors draw out people's emotion, The more intense your emotions the more colors will affect you leading you to being uncomfortable. This is why red cars have higher insurance rates then say grey cars. Why I rarely wear emotional charged colors(usually white black and grey).

(deja vu Lol ok it does make me think I'm a space case when I think about it and realize I do it :P )
i have come to accept a lot of things about my mother, not the least of which being that she had no idea this was a neurological issue with me. she was a mean spiteful woman who lashed out with hatred and disrespect. i can now feel pity for her for the life she was leading.
no sense being mad at the dead anyway  lol
colors are a big deal to me. both positive and negative sensations come from them. sometimes sound comes with color or a flash of light. that sounds very strange but i cannot describe it adequately. it's like trying to describe the visual aura i get with a migraine

#153    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

If we were raised in an environment. That accused.  And attacked us for feeling and. Expressing those feelings.  We will lash out and attack. Those who do the same.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#154    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,455 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:50 AM

I'm sorry...it sounds like almost every teenager I've ever known, even me. Nobody has the perfect family they wish for. Everything is the be all and end all of your happiness. I thought when I got out of school all of the pettiness would end. Guess what...it didn't. In my late thirties I had to distance myself from some of my family because they were toxic.

The best thing you can do for yourself is get rid of all of the toxic people in your lives.

Take or leave my advice...write down what is bothering you, in the moment. Read it in a couple of days and decide how important it still is. Sometimes it will still be of the utmost importance to you and sometimes it will seem trivial. Either way, talk it over with the person, or set fire to that little piece of paper as a lesson learned not to speak so abruptly to the people you love the most.

#155    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,032 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

View PostMichelle, on 11 December 2012 - 04:50 AM, said:

The best thing you can do for yourself is get rid of all of the toxic people in your lives.
absolutely. best thing i ever did.

#156    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Finding out who exactly is toxic is sometimes tricky I learned. I got burnt quite a few times by seemingly non-toxic people. This is why I'd rather take a physical beating then a mental pounding since it is easier to spot(When you are young and get beat by an adult who is strong and supposed to care for you any other physical beating will be a joke compared to it)though it took me a long time to realize that I do not deserve either. But my oh my when you do leave toxic people your life get's so much better.

#157    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,032 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostJinxdom, on 11 December 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Finding out who exactly is toxic is sometimes tricky I learned. I got burnt quite a few times by seemingly non-toxic people. This is why I'd rather take a physical beating then a mental pounding since it is easier to spot(When you are young and get beat by an adult who is strong and supposed to care for you any other physical beating will be a joke compared to it)though it took me a long time to realize that I do not deserve either. But my oh my when you do leave toxic people your life get's so much better.
sometimes, as was the case with me, you find out that one of those toxic people is yourself. your past self, that is.
i kept nurturing and coddling that little girl inside me because i thought if i didn't i would be turning my back just like everyone else did. turns out she was holding me back with her pain and sadness and hatred and fear. i loved that little girl, and i still do, but i had to put her to bed once and for all before i could address the big (present, current, real, living) me.

#158    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 23,018 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostJGirl, on 07 December 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

is this directed toward me? this is the very arrogance i refer to!
your experience is not the model by which all others are given merit
and wait,
you are accusing me of  mauling??
playing the victim card is something i would expect from someone with a lot less 'savvy' than you cassea.

i'll have you know i understand a whole lot more about it than you think. i didn't have the luxury of a stable home and loving parents to help me through it either. there were many serious abuses and horrors that i navigated along the way. so please don't speak down to me.

i have been through it, i spent a lot of time in therapy dealing with it - which is no longer necessary, because i learned to live with and around the issues and challenges that being 'gifted' or exceptionally perceptive  present in life among the so called normal.
i see by your posts that you have not learned this and i would suggest perhaps you consider changing therapists

if you want to discuss the specific challenges presented to those who share this trait then discuss them - discuss strategies for overcoming rather than whining about being misunderstood. i am suggesting that yes you should get off your pedestal (that is to say stop separating yourself by measure of how much more exceptional you are and how much more difficult and lonely everything is and poor you because you have so much more insight etc etc)
yeah we all get that. there are those of us on this thread that go through it and have been through it. the fact that we may not agree has nothing to do with whether we understand the topic but whether or not we have the same experience or agree with your perception.

In all fairness-- a therapist acts as a mediator. The therapist would determine where the client is and work with them from there. Changing is the sole responsibility of the client-- not the therapist, the Psychologist has no investment in the choices one makes along the the way. They act as the support for the client, offering a course of action , but the client is always at free will on taking the suggestions..  if it seems as if one is not benefiting from therapy one has to keep in mind it is a process, change does not happen over night (sometimes not at all) people are heavily conditioned by their childhoods etc... the success of therapy is determined by the amount of effort and work the client puts into working on their issues. One cannot lose sight of the fact that what you would call a therapy success-- may be different then what Cassea would.

Edited by Sherapy, 14 December 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#159    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,032 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostSherapy, on 14 December 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

In all fairness-- a therapist acts as a mediator. The therapist would determine where the client is and work with them from there. Changing is the sole responsibility of the client-- not the therapist, the Psychologist has no investment in the choices one makes along the the way. They act as the support for the client, offering a course of action , but the client is always at free will on taking the suggestions..  if it seems as if one is not benefiting from therapy one has to keep in mind it is a process, change does not happen over night (sometimes not at all) people are heavily conditioned by their childhoods etc... the success of therapy is determined by the amount of effort and work the client puts into working on their issues. One cannot lose sight of the fact that what you would call a therapy success-- may be different then what Cassea would.
i'm not sure i understand why you clarify it this way, but i don't disagree that the therapist is not there to make decisions or or choices for the client. in my experience they are there to help the client find their own way.
you are not benefitting from therapy if you spend years there and never touch the issue. those who continue with therapy without results may as well talk to the wall. at least that doesn't cost a hundred dollars an hour.
it seems from what i've read that cassea's 'team' of psychologists are doing nothing to help her address her problem with existential thinking. this seems (by her accounting) to be the major problem and why she is seeking therapy in the first place.

#160    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

View PostCassea, on 24 November 2012 - 06:16 AM, said:

One of the struggles in my life has recently been diagnosed as existential depression.  I had no idea that others didn't see the world this way. Through a long time of therapy it has been shown to me that this is a very different type of depression.  I have dealt with an increasing amount of violence towards the way I see the world.   In time it escalated to a viciousness I didn't understand.  But then it was that it became about trying to "kill the thought' of the way I would question.  Sometimes as a believer I feel that atheists do the same thing.  It is not enough to discuss or debate.  But the person is vengeful and angry.   Bloody angry.  

This shows that existential depression can develop in gifted children

Prior to all the physical traumas in my life I was considered gifted.   Part of my recovery entailed me looking at the way violence has occurred and the reaction.  I have met many in my therapies that are going through equally debilitating physical, traumatic, and psychological issues.

None have the same experience with express harm.  For a long time I wondered if I was paranoid.  Then my therapist pointed out the way I saw the world.   Are gifted thinkers persecuted and oppressed to the point of death?  If so why?

http://www.sengifted...fted-individual

The problem is with the perceptions you allow to exist in your mind. Many people have difficulting regulating their perceptions which can lead to depression, anxiety disorders and even personality disorders.

The psychologist will be gradually teaching you correct ways of thinking and giving you the skills to regulate your thoughts yourself. When its complete you'll be able to come off therapy and any medication you're on. It sounds like you're gradually beginning to see how other peoples thoughts differ from yours which is good.

Telling you simply not to think about negative thoughts is hard for a sufferer to do if you've never learnt to do it before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users