Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cryptozoology in Perth, Australia

perth cryptozoology australia

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    flareobox

flareobox

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

Hi there guys,

I live in Perth, Australia and was wondering if there is anything cool that involves Cryptozoology here, because I cannot find anything no matter what I type into that google search bar. I am looking for absolutely anything, from any level of expertise.

I hope someone can help!

Thanks if you can.

#2    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

There's the usual cougars in the hills but other than that I haven't heard of anything.

This thread has a few stories from around Perth: http://www.unexplain...pic=229536&st=0

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#3    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• 1,223 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

If you Google "western australia" with yowie or thylacine you'll find some information.

Historical accounts:

Giant monitor lizard Megalania monstered WA Aborigines

1929 - Northam Monster

1934 - Rottnest Monster

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#4    rampaging redneck

rampaging redneck

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Another West Aussie here! Welcome aboard!

Mostly just ABCs (alien big cats) and the odd historical yowie account is about as much as we get here much to my disappointment.

#5    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Perhaps West Aussie's aren't as gullible as the rest of the world seems to be?

You could always just make something up and see if it sticks to the wall.

Edited by evancj, 25 November 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#6    rampaging redneck

rampaging redneck

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Like the slenderman from down under lol.

#7    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

View Postrampaging redneck, on 25 November 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

Like the slenderman from down under lol.

I've never heard of that, in fact I had never heard of Slenderman until i came to this site.

I think the same sort of people that try and push Bigfoot, Nessy etc. also live here. People loved the story of Bigfoot and wanted an Australian version. Aboriginal stories get taken as fact by these people then other people start saying they have seen a Yowie.

Fun to think about but doubt anything remotley close to them exist.

But growing up I did wish there was some mysterious creature lurking about. The only think I can think of were the cougars, which I think are most likely very large feral cats.

Just look how big feral animals can turn into in the remote Outback:

Posted Image

He kept the tail which measured 60cm long, longer than the total length of a house cat. Videos of him and the tail are on youtube.

And this razorback:

They are true monsters haha.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

#8    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:41 AM

I've heard stories of enormous bigfoot-like beings seen by prospectors in the desert near Kalgoorlie, and there's always the Burrunjor to look out for if you're further north.

#9    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

I've read in early colonial times the Aborigines would tell tall tales to the colonists. A lot of them would say huge monsters lived in the centre. Because of that and the extreme heat the colonists ventured around the coast instead of straight through the centre.

Also this isn't cryptozoology related but there has always been rumours of old WW2 bunkers and ammunition holds in the hills. http://www.ozatwar.c.../bunkersetc.htm

Confucius Says:

#10    JasonExplosion

JasonExplosion

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

• "No matter the consequences, stay true to yourself." - Jesse David Leach

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

The Slender Man myth originated in Perth, I kid you not. The first image (of the girl on the slippery-dip at the park) shows a watermark for the City of Stirling public library. The watermark on the image is the same as the crest the city used to use.

Posted Image

#11    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Saw a Monster Quest episode years ago about sightings of enormous, dinosaur sized lizards in the outback.  Pretty interesting, I found it on YouTube.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#12    rampaging redneck

rampaging redneck

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

View PostJasonExplosion, on 26 November 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

The Slender Man myth originated in Perth, I kid you not. The first image (of the girl on the slippery-dip at the park) shows a watermark for the City of Stirling public library. The watermark on the image is the same as the crest the city used to use.

Are you serious?? That's pretty cool.

In terms of cryptozoology in Perth, the only thing I vaguely remember was Today-tonight doing a feature on "WA's own x-files" more than ten years ago now. They mentioned the usual big cats but also the "swan river serpent"
amongst other things.

Oh! And of course the Alkimos!! But that's not a conversation for this thread.

#13    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Go and talk to Sid Slee and visit his Thylacine Museum near Busselton. Sid is a real authority on the Thylacine.

http://www.tasmanian...TML/000066.html

#14    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Greetings! I really like Australia; very cool country with interesting animals :)

I don't know if there's any cryptids originating from the exact location of Perth, Austrailia...but I know there's a few cryptids down under.

The Burrunjor, a living dinosaur reported to roam northern Australia:
The Bunyip, a creature that lives near creeks or other bodies of water: The Thylacine, a marsupial that was said to go extinct in the 1930's though there are reports that some may have survived. There's also the Yowie and a few others I probably missed.

Here's a list of ten Australian cryptids that you may want to read: Hope this helps and welcome to UM! :)

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#15    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

View Postrampaging redneck, on 26 November 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

Are you serious?? That's pretty cool.

In terms of cryptozoology in Perth, the only thing I vaguely remember was Today-tonight doing a feature on "WA's own x-files" more than ten years ago now. They mentioned the usual big cats but also the "swan river serpent"
amongst other things.

Oh! And of course the Alkimos!! But that's not a conversation for this thread.

I go 4WD-ing by the old Alkimos all the time, it's pretty much all gone now. Just the engine remaining.

Confucius Says:

Also tagged with perth, cryptozoology, australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users