Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What happens when you die?

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

If you are an atheist, agnostic, non believer, non religious person....what do you believe happens when you die?

Physically, Spiritually, Emotionally, Morally....whatever.

#2    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,891 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

If everyone is honest with themselves the answer would be

"I dont know"

And im a agnostic btw

Edited by spartan max2, 24 November 2012 - 07:21 AM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#3    _Only

_Only

• 6,655 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

Non Religious person: Your mind takes all that you have experienced here, and starts a new story at another bat time and bat channel, after you decide what you learned from the last play, and what you'd like to learn in the next one. It may or may not be a physical play on Earth. But there are a lot of plays you're involved in here on Earth, as well as other places you don't know exist from your vantage point in this play, all simultaneously.

I believe this is possible, and that's as close as I am to believing anything that happens when you die. I just really don't know.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#4    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,798 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

Well there are really only two logical answers to this question.

The first is that nothing happens because your conciousness is an epi phenomenon of your brain. When it's dead, you are gone.  Some may experience the below just before death.

The answer would be based on statistically analyzing NDES. And is the position that your brain is a receiver of conciousness and when it's dead, your awareness goes back to where it came from.

1) you may see your self outside of your body

2) a life review of your entire life will spin through your awareness

3) you will have the feeling of traveling through some sort of tunnel into what you will perceive as a bright light.

4) at the end of this tunnel benevolent spirits will be waiting for you. These are unusually passed family members and sometimes a much more overwhelming loving presence. For a small portion of people usually people who have particularly bad to words others the spirits seem not  benovolant.

5) then there is place, for most, of overwhelming love  and release.

Take your pick. They are equally logical, neither requires faith, and the only thing for certain is that one or the other will happen to you evenchually. Oh, and you will have to pay taxes along the way ;)

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#5    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,531 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostBling, on 24 November 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

If you are an atheist, agnostic, non believer, non religious person....what do you believe happens when you die?

Physically, Spiritually, Emotionally, Morally....whatever.

Well, classicaly like a dead fish, you are, um, just dead.
Hopefully for humans this will not be the case.

#6    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,312 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

You erm.. soil yourself.

Edited by Rlyeh, 24 November 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#7    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 24 November 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

You erm.. soil yourself.

As someone who has recently lost a member of the family, I don't find that amusing or appropriate....ever. If you think that's funny, well......

#8    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 24 November 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

Well there are really only two logical answers to this question.

The first is that nothing happens because your conciousness is an epi phenomenon of your brain. When it's dead, you are gone.  Some may experience the below just before death.

The answer would be based on statistically analyzing NDES. And is the position that your brain is a receiver of conciousness and when it's dead, your awareness goes back to where it came from.

1) you may see your self outside of your body

2) a life review of your entire life will spin through your awareness

3) you will have the feeling of traveling through some sort of tunnel into what you will perceive as a bright light.

4) at the end of this tunnel benevolent spirits will be waiting for you. These are unusually passed family members and sometimes a much more overwhelming loving presence. For a small portion of people usually people who have particularly bad to words others the spirits seem not  benovolant.

5) then there is place, for most, of overwhelming love  and release.

Take your pick. They are equally logical, neither requires faith, and the only thing for certain is that one or the other will happen to you evenchually. Oh, and you will have to pay taxes along the way ;)

I respect your theories. Interesting  :tu:

#9    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

View Postpallidin, on 24 November 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

Well, classicaly like a dead fish, you are, um, just dead.
Hopefully for humans this will not be the case.

'Hopefully for humans this is not the case'- so what do you believe is the case?

I love that this topic has no right or wrong answers!

#10    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,312 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostBling, on 24 November 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

As someone who has recently lost a member of the family, I don't find that amusing or appropriate....ever. If you think that's funny, well......
Why ask a question when you really don't want to hear the answers?

#11    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 24 November 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

Why ask a question when you really don't want to hear the answers?

OK you go ahead and tell us about the physical things that happen to our body when we die. Feel free!

#12    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

I never really want to think about it. :( I'm not sure what to think

#13    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,531 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostBling, on 24 November 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

OK you go ahead and tell us about the physical things that happen to our body when we die. Feel free!

Physically we die, and rot.
Some adherents of quantum physics have a different take on what happens afterwards.

Edited by pallidin, 24 November 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#14    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

You die.

Seriously. Everyone single one of us is going to spend the majority of the universe DEAD. You will have the majority of the universe to know what happens when you die. Why are you so worried about it now? The tiny portion you spend existing you worry about the majority you will spend dead.

I don't get it. We will find out soon enough anyway.

Edited by Kazoo, 24 November 2012 - 10:10 AM.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#15    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

i'd fall under the category of non religious in the sense that i don't adhere to any specific religion - but i do believe in god

what i believe, or let's say want to believe, is that we still exist with awareness.
although i always sort of thought there must be more, it wasn't a big question in my life.  since my son died i find myself wondering where he is, how he is, if he is. it helps to imagine he is existing somewhere other than my memory.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users