Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The GOPís ĎRead my lipsí moment

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,418 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Washington Post said:

Four big-name Republicans have broken with Grover Norquist in recent days, saying they won’t be bound by their Norquist-sponsored pledges to oppose any and all tax increases.

The moves by Sens. Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Bob Corker (Tenn.) and Saxby Chambliss (Ga.) and Rep. Peter King (N.Y.) represent the opening steps of a delicate dance for the GOP — and one that could come to define the just-begun talks over the looming “fiscal cliff.”

The question from here is whether this represents a simple trial balloon or the beginning of a movement in which a large segment of the GOP embraces a tax increase as an unhappy reality.

If that were to occur, it would both mark a significant shift in party orthodoxy and also threaten to make the tea party primaries of 2010 and 2012 seem tame.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,480 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I read this on huffington and it was made clear, or clearer than the WaPo, that this was more about possibly eliminating possible deductions but both have flippant negatory headlines about the GOPs intentions.

Posted Image

#3    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,709 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Fool me once as they say....

The Republicans should be doing NOTHING right now.

Barack Obama is the President.  The Senate is controlled by the Democrats.  Let them come forward with THEIR full plan on how to avoid the Fiscal Cliff.  Because as of now, there is no plan from the Democrats.  It is not the minority party's job to put forth the plan.  They won.  They own it.

Edited by Rafterman, 27 November 2012 - 06:07 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#4    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

But they are the Majority of the House...which is also expected to behave responsibly and participate in solving problems.  Waiting around and saying "the Dems won so they own it" sounds remarkably childish and butthurt.  That is not solving anything.

The Repubs proved last time that they are willing for the economy to collapse so they can say "nah-ne-nah-ne-nah-nah ..we win".  Everyone losing is not a win.

I am pretty sure they realize they have mid-terms coming up in 2014.  After the display of results this past election, I am betting they are aware that if they do not roll up their sleeves and get something positive accomplished for all of us...they will lose...again.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#5    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,042 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

View PostRafterman, on 27 November 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Barack Obama is the President.  The Senate is controlled by the Democrats.  Let them come forward with THEIR full plan on how to avoid the Fiscal Cliff.  Because as of now, there is no plan from the Democrats.

that's because there is no such thing as a fiscal cliff. It's a contrivance fostered by republicans.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#6    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,536 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:19 AM

Ya just gotta love the controlled opposition in American two party politics..... popcorn anyone?  hors d'oeuvre perhaps?  .....no?  Okay, I suppose the koo-laid suffices!

lol

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,796 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Burn it down - I don't care :)  It's almost inevitable at this point anyway.  But I agree that since the Dems feel they have a "mandate" they should be the ones to put a plan out there.  They've played brinksmanship now (both sides) until it's just boring.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#8    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,053 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 27 November 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

But they are the Majority of the House...which is also expected to behave responsibly and participate in solving problems.  Waiting around and saying "the Dems won so they own it" sounds remarkably childish and butthurt.  That is not solving anything.

Doesn't matter.  He's right.  It's the majority party's job.  I'd sit on my hands if I were in the House majority.  Make them come up with something, then explain why I cannot support it.

Republicans need to be done with this stupidity of handing them the club to beat us with.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#9    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Last time I checked, it's still the UNITED states of America.  If they all can't come to a compromise, we all lose.  But, I guess the real concern is not allowing the other side to get credit, or making sure they get blame.

Politics at it's worst.

#10    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

It's too bad the GOP idiots can't have such brilliant ideas as Obama:

Obama uses Twitter in 'fiscal cliff' PR campaign

Finally an end the gridlock! Why didn't we think of this sooner?

Posted Image

#11    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,675 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostRafterman, on 27 November 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Fool me once as they say....

The Republicans should be doing NOTHING right now.

Barack Obama is the President.  The Senate is controlled by the Democrats.  Let them come forward with THEIR full plan on how to avoid the Fiscal Cliff.  Because as of now, there is no plan from the Democrats.  It is not the minority party's job to put forth the plan.  They won.  They own it.

The Dem's have had a plan for a while now. The GOP said no, like the always do if it isn't something about Jesus.
http://www.cnn.com/2...liff/index.html

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#12    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,042 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

It's over grover.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#13    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,053 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 03 December 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

The Dem's have had a plan for a while now. The GOP said no, like the always do if it isn't something about Jesus.
http://www.cnn.com/2...liff/index.html

Please.

The Republican house has already passed budgets, so let's not pretend that the Republicans are the ones without the plan.

The Senate is Democratic.  Where's their budget proposal?

Their "compromise" with House budget proposals was:
"No."

So, who's the party of no here?

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#14    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

We could have elected the one who has a history of being able to reach across the aisle to get things done, but instead we elected the angry radical with a bullhorn who has to start twiitter wars try to turn the people against his political opposition in hopes that public anger will accomplish what he failed to do because he can't sit at a table like a civilized human being to bang a deal out with those who are beneath him. He lives up to his political philosophy of letting everyone else do the work for him. You knew what you were getting during the first budget talks and you were so impressed that you re-elected him so we can enjoy more of it. Congratulations! :clap:
BTW, nice words Obama had for David Letterman. I'm glad Obama could fit it in. All problems of the US being solved, there's time to party with the stars. Although I didn't think it was funny when Letterman asked Obama what the budget deficit is, and Obama replied, "I don't know, ask my grandkids, they're the ones that are going to pay it! Am I right? Who's with me?" I'm glad the studio audience got a hearty laugh.

Edited by Vein Capital, 04 December 2012 - 04:28 PM.

Posted Image

#15    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,675 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostHarte, on 04 December 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

Please.

The Republican house has already passed budgets, so let's not pretend that the Republicans are the ones without the plan.

The Senate is Democratic.  Where's their budget proposal?

Their "compromise" with House budget proposals was:
"No."

So, who's the party of no here?

Harte

Someone said that the Dems had no plan. All i did was provide proof that they do, in fact, have a plan.

I have no other comment on this issue other than the fact the the Rep already dismissed it.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users