Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Everyone must read this thread

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    AWJohn

AWJohn

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

Everyone listen up.... (NYC ABC 7 has covered this today aswell)

HOLIDAY THEFTS:

People are watching UPS and FEXED drop offs at houses or apartments where people are not home

UPS and vFEDEX simply drop off the boxes bought off line at the doorstep.... theifs walk up and grab the goods while the people aren't home.

I bought my son a $1500 Alienware laptop for christmas and it is gone. The company says they delivered it and now im out $1500

Everyone beware.

Eyewitness News - NYC 7 reported this today. People had cameras set up and black people walked up and stole boxes that delivery companies dropped off. What happens when you report it? The company says they dropped it off and thats that. If you have a video of the thief your in luck. No video like me means you lose the package and your money.

This opens a bigger discussion -- Should UPS leave packages (especially expensive packages) at the doorstep when no one answers?

I am very upset about this. Beware.

#2    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

Not good for you. But I didn't need to read this thread.

Posted Image

#3    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

View PostAWJohn, on 26 November 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

HOLIDAY THEFTS:

People are watching UPS and FEXED drop offs at houses or apartments where people are not home

UPS and vFEDEX simply drop off the boxes bought off line at the doorstep.... theifs walk up and grab the goods while the people aren't home.

I bought my son a $1500 Alienware laptop for christmas and it is gone. The company says they delivered it and now im out $1500

Everyone beware.

Eyewitness News - NYC 7 reported this today. People had cameras set up and black people walked up and stole boxes that delivery companies dropped off. What happens when you report it? The company says they dropped it off and thats that. If you have a video of the thief your in luck. No video like me means you lose the package and your money.

This opens a bigger discussion -- Should UPS leave packages (especially expensive packages) at the doorstep when no one answers?

If you bought it with a credit card some premium cards have purchase insurance

#4    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,474 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

HOLIDAY THEFTS:

Everyone beware.

I'm sure you can have them drop it off at the nearest FedEx or UPS store. I occasionally have packages delivered to my office where I almost never am but if I leave a note they'll usually take it where you ask. Not sure if that's a common option(store drop off) while delivering but it's worth trying or at least making phone inquiry. Sorry about the loss though. That really sucks.

Posted Image

#5    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,474 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Or if you know anyone who owns a business like an office or a store front where somebody is always going to be at that could be a safe option. Or do you know anyone who lives in a decent apartment complex? Use their address and if they're not home they always deliver packages to the on site rental office in that case. Ok, I'm out of suggestions.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 26 November 2012 - 11:51 PM.

Posted Image

#6    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 12,927 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

HOLIDAY THEFTS:

Everyone beware.

Just black people huh?......Any white people, brown people, yellow people?

I ordered a couple of computers shipped through FedEx......They would not leave without a authorised signature. As far as I know, this is protocal for Fedex on certain items.

Alienware ( Dell ) would not send a computer with Fedex that could just be left on a door step, that I do know.

Also, anyone ordering things like this would typically have it insured. I know Dell will not send a expensive item without this option. Nor would they have it delivered without a signature ( authorised ).....To much liablility, and scams out there.

If no one is home, UPS and FedEx leave a " 1st notification " letter......They try 3 times to deliver, after that they leave a final note stating where to pick up the package.

Contact Dell, and they will replace it, as for sure they would have insured such a expensive item.......( they also would have demanded a signature authorized delivery )

If you are being honest.....

Edited by Sakari, 27 November 2012 - 12:36 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

This is nothing new . Started about 3 years ago in huge way. Luckily,my neighbors are the nosiest bunch on the planet .Nothing goes on ,on this block without at least 2-3 neighbor's witnessing it .
On year ,a guy was trying to break into the garage of the guy across the street from me .
I didn't see it,but the guy three houses down from me did.
Took off after the guy with a baseball bat .He got nothing .

And its all kind of people doing it. My neighborhood is generally hit by white mafia types ,but we have had people come over the bridge from the Bronx ,and hit houses .Quite brutal those attacks ,but all kinds of people commit crimes .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 27 November 2012 - 12:49 AM.

Miss me?

#8    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

HOLIDAY THEFTS:

Everyone beware.

No courier should be leaving packages without a signature, or without consent of the intended recipient to do so.
If they do leave the package without either, well, that's just plain stupid.

I would think you have a legitimate claim against UPS.  If not, it means every time they lose a package in transit, they can just say they delivered it to cover themselves.

Seems there's something wrong with this picture.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

View Postsynchronomy, on 27 November 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

No courier should be leaving packages without a signature, or without consent of the intended recipient to do so.
If they do leave the package without either, well, that's just plain stupid.

I would think you have a legitimate claim against UPS.  If not, it means every time they lose a package in transit, they can just say they delivered it to cover themselves.

Seems there's something wrong with this picture.
It depends .Some packages require signatures ,some do not. It usually depends upon who sent it ,and how diligent they are about monitoring their deliveries .
My ups guy leaves my stuff with my neighbor ,and notes that .
USPS requires no,signature ,and fed ex is like ups. Some do need it,some don't .

Miss me?

#10    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,678 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

I think UPS/Fedex should have to pay for it.  They are suppose to get a signature.  Was it insured?

Nosy neighbors do come in handy.

#11    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,678 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

Thieves are the big downfall of ordering stuff on line.

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

HOLIDAY THEFTS:

Everyone beware.

Dell/Alienware require a signature for any computer delivery.

If FedEx/UPS just left it at the door, they are responsible.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#13    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,382 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

HOLIDAY THEFTS:

Everyone beware.

That is very upsetting and it is never right to take what doesn't belong to you, but I would have bought insurance for a purchase that large.  Also, you can leave a note telling them you do not want it left if no one is home and they will take it to your local post office for pickup.

#14    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

♔ Queen E L S A

• 8,507 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

This happened last year somewhere in my state. It was on the news. I can't recall what happened. |:

#15    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Guessing there was something more that got the thief's attention. After all they're not going to spend days on end watching a house, hoping that something valuble will be randomly dropped off.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users