Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ancient Microbes Found in Icy Lake Vida

lake vida ancient microbes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Ancient Microbes Found Living Beneath the Icy Surface of Antarctic Lake

Antarctica's Lake Vida, the largest of several unique lakes found in the McMurdo Dry Valleys, contains no oxygen, is mostly frozen and possesses the highest nitrous oxide levels of any natural water body on Earth. A briny liquid that is approximately six times saltier than seawater percolates throughout the icy environment that has an average temperature of minus 13.5 degrees centigrade (or 8 degrees Fahrenheit).

Despite the very cold, dark and isolated nature of the habitat, the report finds that the brine harbors a surprisingly diverse and abundant assemblage of bacteria that survive without a present-day source of energy from the sun.
Source

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,288 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Cool, life is everywhere.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#3    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

So, no tentacle beasties? :(

#4    sergeantflynn

sergeantflynn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• WHY WORRY ?

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Life doesn`t just SURVIVE there . It flourishes . It is their environment .

#5    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• Dang!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

The world will know more important discoveries as for this issue in the future i believe :)

#6    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,712 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Very cool.. -sits and waits for more

#7    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

Remarkable that life can exist, even flourish in these conditions. Perhaps an interesting coincidence that news of this should come out within a week of an anticipated presentation about another very cold, nearly oxygenless environment, on Mars, and the possibility that it may harbor simple forms of life, too.

#8    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,905 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

wow! that's amazing

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#9    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,452 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

The article states the lake has the highest nitrous oxide level of any body of water on earth. So then, these are happy little organisms!

#10    pestilent0ne

pestilent0ne

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

So what is the possibility that as the ice melts new microbes and bacteria being introduced into our population causing new illnesses such as say morgellons or other unknown caused illnesses?

#11    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

View Postpestilent0ne, on 28 November 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

So what is the possibility that as the ice melts new microbes and bacteria being introduced into our population causing new illnesses such as say morgellons or other unknown caused illnesses?
Well, we'd have to wonder if they'd survive in temperature higher than that of their home-lake. Some bacterias go to sleep in freezing temperatures, which is why mould doesn't grow on frozen things, then they thrive in warm temperatures. I'd presume that it's vice versa for these ones that they just discovered. Thrive in cold, and sluggish in warmth.

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#12    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

View PostSkeptic Chicken, on 28 November 2012 - 05:31 AM, said:

Well, we'd have to wonder if they'd survive in temperature higher than that of their home-lake. Some bacterias go to sleep in freezing temperatures, which is why mould doesn't grow on frozen things, then they thrive in warm temperatures. I'd presume that it's vice versa for these ones that they just discovered. Thrive in cold, and sluggish in warmth.

Perhaps initially that's true but, what if they they begin to acclimate to the warmer environment and start to mutate?!

Hideous monstrosities will begin to roam the earth!  At first, sightings will be rare and classified as Cryptozoological or more commonly referred to as the "Gullible wack job" files.  

Then their numbers will grow until they can no longer be denied and then the terror begins!!!

Wet Willies, wedgies, invasions of personal space, that irritating mocking thing kids do sometimes...  Havoc will be wreaked!!  

Or we may be mildly annoyed... I don't know, we'll have to wait and see.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#13    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

View PostSundew, on 27 November 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

The article states the lake has the highest nitrous oxide level of any body of water on earth. So then, these are happy little organisms!

....and happy little researchers!

What could possibly go wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users