Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

New project explores risk of robot uprising

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,732 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

I think robots will take over, but they will be hybrid humans.  Kind of like Borg drone.  You will be assimilated...

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#17    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

Why couldn't they become self aware? If there is some sort of programming or artificial brain that lets them figure stuff out, put pieces together just like a real brain then surely they could figure out they exist.

I'm not saying they would then revolt. Not sure if it's possible to program emotions, I guess they wouldn't care that they are slaves.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#18    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:07 AM

If robots or super computers somehow became self aware, i'm sure they would wonder why they were taking orders from an inferior species, race... If those were the terms to use...

It's happened countless times troughtout history, it's not much of a stretch to apply those same concepts to this theory.

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#19    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostOdds, on 04 December 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

If robots or super computers somehow became self aware, i'm sure they would wonder why they were taking orders from an inferior species, race... If those were the terms to use...

It's happened countless times troughtout history, it's not much of a stretch to apply those same concepts to this theory.

Where in history did a super-human or object become self aware and wondered why they took orders from an inferior species, race?
I hope you're not implying civil revolts? Because those aren't comparable at all.

#20    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

I'll start worrying about it when someone starts to invent Cylons.

#21    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostOdds, on 04 December 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

I would think the only reason something/someone would revolt would be based on emotions, IMO. Out of anger of doing dirty work for someone else or maybe envy of seeing others that aren't in their situation.

I would assume emotions would be harder to program than software that allows learning and become self aware.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#22    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

If they ever develop real AI, then I would rather assume that is a given.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#23    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostRender, on 04 December 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Where in history did a super-human or object become self aware and wondered why they took orders from an inferior species, race?
I hope you're not implying civil revolts? Because those aren't comparable at all.

Why wouldn't civil revolts, invasions be comparable? If they are programed by us, and then become self aware, how can that not be at least plausible?

And i never said a 'super-human' or object became self aware, this is all theoretical. It is simply a discussion on a forum.

#24    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,475 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Fear not, pilgrims.  It could well be the hippy robots that revolt.  Hugs all round.

#25    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hippy robots... That could be an interesting party. Lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users