Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

North Koreans defecting to Japan,die en route

Simbi Laveau

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/several-bodies-in-korean-marked-boat-found-on-sado-island?utm_campaign=jt_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=jt_newsletter_2012-11-29_AM

North Koreans trying to escape communist Korea,have been sailing to China for years. Recently ,they have been trying to get to Japan instead .

Not all of them make it .

A wooden boat ,with hard to read Korean glyphs,has been found on Sado Island ,which is an island in the Sea of Japan.

Bodies in an advanced stage of decay ,with belongings strewn around ,were inside the boat .

The exact number of bodies has yet to be determined ,but they estimate 5 .

Hmmm.... didn't know that the Japanese even accepted North Korean "defectors"

China I can see doing this.

But for Japan...

Would be SOOOOOoooo hard to tell if they were true defectors or terrorist plants.

Hmmm.... didn't know that the Japanese even accepted North Korean "defectors"

China I can see doing this.

But for Japan...

Would be SOOOOOoooo hard to tell if they were true defectors or terrorist plants.

Well I took poetic license with the word defecting,as I wasn't sure what else to call it.

I do not think they even have defector policy ,but once the Koreans are there....

Who knows. If they go by boat ,they can land ,and maybe fly out with fake passports .

I would guess that's the plan .

And I dunno about terrorists .Chances are good,north Korea has spies all over Japan ,placed with ease .

Think they had trouble of the sea and died Naturally

Well,the distance between Korea and Japan is quite small. They couldn't be out at seas longer than even ten days .

They were all still on the boat,which makes it sound like they died in there ...and the boat crash landed on the island .

Dunno. Or there were others alive ,and the dead were left behind.

Let me see just how inhabited Sado island is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sado,_Niigata

Ok,its right there,in between Japan and Korea. On a boat ,even adrift ,couldn't be more than 7 days ..

.The main city is Sado,which is the entire island . It's off Niigata prefecture on the west coast .

I assume there's a lot of deserted coastline to land on ,and its cold up there during the winter .It's just next to Nagano ,which is where the winter Olympics were held .

Japan has a coast guard ,but they seem a bit lax when it comes to security .

Population of the island is 63,000.

It's an idelic tourist attraction in nicer weather.

Edited by Simbi Laveau

I doubt Japan would have accepted them anyway. The Japanese do not like Koreans very much. Or any foreigners for that matter.

I doubt Japan would have accepted them anyway. The Japanese do not like Koreans very much. Or any foreigners for that matter.

Plenty of Koreans live in Japan ,and there's a Korea town in Tokyo. Learning Korean was all the rage a few years back .They also love a lot of k pop bands ,but recent tensions have made liking anything Korean ,frowned upon ......for now .

Koreans are cooler than the Chinese there,for sure .

It's not cool to marry a Korean,and half Korean kids are teased .If a Korean man marries a Japanese woman,they use her family name as the surname,so no one knows one of them is Korean .

That's really neither here nor there though .

They deport anyone they feel doesn't belong ,and they love FAMOUS foreigners plenty .

Plenty of Koreans live in Japan ,and there's a Korea town in Tokyo. Learning Korean was all the rage a few years back .They also love a lot of k pop bands ,but recent tensions have made liking anything Korean ,frowned upon ......for now .

Koreans are cooler than the Chinese there,for sure .

It's not cool to marry a Korean,and half Korean kids are teased .If a Korean man marries a Japanese woman,they use her family name as the surname,so no one knows one of them is Korean .

That's really neither here nor there though .

They deport anyone they feel doesn't belong ,and they love FAMOUS foreigners plenty .

Sounds like a very racist country. I heard that generations later, the Koreans that were forced to work in Japan during WWII and stayed there after the war, were never allowed to gain Japanese citizenship.

Sounds like a very racist country. I heard that generations later, the Koreans that were forced to work in Japan during WWII and stayed there after the war, were never allowed to gain Japanese citizenship.

If you're not Japanese by blood,you don't get citizenship .

It's all about the blood.

You can live there your entire life ,and you will never get citizenship .

If you marry a Japanese ,your kids can be citizens ,but you just get permanent residency status .

Ok, i'm not trying to be stereotype here, but how can they tell a korean or a half korean from a japanese? I mean, they're a lot similar, not like say a Japanese man and a bangladeshi for instance.. where the differences are more clear.

Ok, i'm not trying to be stereotype here, but how can they tell a korean or a half korean from a japanese? I mean, they're a lot similar, not like say a Japanese man and a bangladeshi for instance.. where the differences are more clear.

Unfortunately there's no answer on that one...when a country has a policy, because they think that this policy is right , they won't change it, no matter what we all say...

T

Well when I kid enters school,they usually already know the kids heritage ,or the child says so ,and they get teased all through school .

Also,there is a distinctive bone structure .

They claim to be able to tell from bone structure.

I do see a difference in the shape of the face ,personally .The Japanese have very different nose structure too.

Just because they all "look the same" to outsiders,doesn't mean they don't look very different to one another.

Most people cannot even tell the differences between the languages,which are as different as English to Spanish to them.

• Like 1

Well when I kid enters school,they usually already know the kids heritage ,or the child says so ,and they get teased all through school .

Also,there is a distinctive bone structure .

They claim to be able to tell from bone structure.

I do see a difference in the shape of the face ,personally .The Japanese have very different nose structure too.

Just because they all "look the same" to outsiders,doesn't mean they don't look very different to one another.

Most people cannot even tell the differences between the languages,which are as different as English to Spanish to them.

If only people could see the major similarities and look past the minor differences.