Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Where Was Atlantis?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,018 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

Atlantis could have been Thera,one of the expolsion around 1500bc does coincide with the king Checrops,1582,that was said to be in this war.
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/cparada/GML/MythicalChronology.html

At Tell el Dab'a in Egypt, pumice found at this location has been dated to 1540 BCE, closer to the traditionally accepted date of Thera's eruption.

This was a Egyptian tale of a war the greeks forgot because of a great flood. I was veiwing a show about how the greeks( athens) had to send two young people to Crete every year by order of king Mino for sacifice to the minon bull ,so this powerful empire of the islands must have had some control over the greeks.This war was about 1000 years before Solon that the Egyptains remembered, but not the greeks.And there was that find on a island in the Agean ( the name I forgot) where they found this houre of weapons found buried.

#2    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,032 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Or, you know, Plato's mind.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#3    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,018 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

Plato -Chritias

And this is reason why the names of the ancients have been preserved to us and not their actions. This I infer because Solon said that the priests in their narrative of that war mentioned most of the names which are recorded prior to the time of Theseus, such as Cecrops, and Erechtheus, and Erichthonius, and Erysichthon.

http://www.classical.../18_critias.htm

Edited by docyabut2, 30 November 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#4    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,827 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

i don't know where it was but it used to be taller.

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,447 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

It was on Mars, and that's what Curisoity has discovered.

#6    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,399 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

I was under the impression Atlantis was a fictional place in some writings..Plato I think.
Either way it is a fictional place just like Avalon.

Ever noticed, when it comes to Atlantis, that this place seems to be found all over the world?

#7    Overdueleaf

Overdueleaf

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

I am inclined to believe that Atlantis.. if it ever existed ...was more than likely on the island of santorini and part of the minoan civilization

Posted Image

Your memory IS foggy. It's the pancakes

#8    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,018 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

I` am leaning towards Crete simply because of the time of the kings of Athens in the tale, that place atlantis a thousand years before Solon in the following years of the dark ages of greece when the greeks lost all arts of writing.

Chritias

(Athens )
For when there were any survivors, as I have already said, they were men who dwelt in the mountains; and they were ignorant of the art of writing, and had heard only the names of the chiefs of the land, but very little about their actions.

Edited by docyabut2, 30 November 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#9    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

It could of existed as many civilizations that have come and gone.  Who knows where though and it could of just been a fictional story to entertain the wealthy.

#10    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

I don't know where it was but I think they should keep looking - I believe they did find that Troy was more than the myth they had once assumed.

One of the things that I find interesting is that the Greek god Posideon, the "mythical" king/god of the sea and of Atlantis is always depicted with race horses.  Plato mentions the Atlanteans love of racing and their race tracks in his narrative.  Why would the god of the sea, Posideon, be shown with horses and not... say dolphins maybe ?

#11    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,018 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

Chritias

All the outside of the temple, with the exception of the pinnacles, they covered with silver, and the pinnacles with gold. In the interior of the temple the roof was of ivory, curiously wrought everywhere with gold and silver and orichalcum; and all the other parts, the walls and pillars and floor, they coated with orichalcum. In the temple they placed statues of gold: there was the god himself standing in a chariot-the charioteer of six winged horses-and of such a size that he touched the roof of the building with his head; around him there were a hundred Nereids riding on dolphins,

Solon put the tale in greek form

Edited by docyabut2, 30 November 2012 - 02:40 AM.

#12    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,018 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

Zodd posted this vidio that really convince me:)

Edited by docyabut2, 30 November 2012 - 02:46 AM.

#13    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,018 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

Chritas

One kind was white, another black, and a third red, and as they quarried, they at the same time hollowed out double docks, having roofs formed out of the native rock.Some of their buildings were simple, but in others they put together different stones, varying the colour to please the eye, and to be a natural source of delight. The entire circuit of the wall, which went round the outermost zone, they covered with a coating of brass, and the circuit of the next wall they coated with tin, and the third, which encompassed the citadel, flashed with the red light of orichalcum.

Another thing that convinced me was that stone of gitter,and the colors of of the temple of knossos.:)

#14    cinluk

cinluk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

Most seem to think Santorini.....

#15    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,290 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

View Postcinluk, on 30 November 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

Most seem to think Santorini.....
I do too.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users