Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Where Was Atlantis?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,163 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

I had thought Plato put it into the Atlantic so that he did not create any political fallout. Using a country that does not exist to illustrate an example, and not offend anyone.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#92    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,876 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

I think it existed only in Plato's mind.

#93    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 4,067 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

Plato

This power came forth out of the Atlantic ( Atlas sea)?, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Herakles; the island was greater in intent than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true sea; for this sea which is within the Straits of Herakles is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent. Now in this island of Atlantis there was a great and wonderful empire which had rule over the whole island and several others, and over parts of the continent, and, furthermore, the men of Atlantis had subjected the parts of Libya [Africa] within the columns of Herakles as far as Aigyptos (Egypt), and of Europe as far as Tyrrhenia

From a Egyptian view point of 500 bc where do you think it was considering the greeks frist distinction between continents was made by ancient Greek mariners who gave the names Europe and Asia to the lands on either side of the waterways of the Aegean Sea, the Dardanelles strait, the Sea of Marmara, the Bosporus strait and the Black Sea.[34] The names were first applied just to lands near the coast and only later extended to include the hinterlands.[35] But the division was only carried through to the end of navigable waterways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

Edited by docyabut2, 06 June 2013 - 01:44 AM.

#94    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 4,067 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

Posted Image

#95    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 4,067 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

Could be the greater in entent from a Egyptian veiw point from Sais , was Crete was further extending out into the sea, then the land of Asia and Libya as they knew those lands to be then by the water ways.

#96    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 4,067 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Where Were the Pillars of Hercules?

'The reference to the "PILLARS OF HERCULES" (which are always taken to mean the Straits of Gibralta) are, however, a DIFFICULTY and an ANOMALY in this explanation [regarding the location of Atlantis]. Is it possible, then, that the "PILLARS OF HERCULES" are NOT the Straits of Gibralta?

'This has been the subject of some interesting conjectures. Nearly all the labours of Hercules were PERFORMED IN THE PELOPONNESE. The last and hardest of those which Eurytheus imposed on the hero was to descend to Hades and bring back its three-headed dog guardian, Cerberus. According to the most general version Hercules entered Hades through the abyss at CAPE TAENARUN (the modern CAPE MATAPAN), the WESTERN CAPE OF THE GULF OF LACONIA. The EASTERN CAPE of this gulf is CAPE MALEAS, a dangerous promontory, notorious for its rough seas.

'Pausanias records that on EITHER SIDE of this windswept promontory were TEMPLES, that on the west dedicated to POSEIDON, that on the east to APOLLO. It is perhaps therefore not extravagant to suggest that the PILLARS OF HERCULES referred to are THE PROMONTORIES OF TAENARUM AND MALEAS; and it is perhaps significant that the twin brother of ATLAS was allotted the EXTEMITY OF ATLANTIS CLOSEST TO THE PILLARS OF HERCULES. The relevant passage in the Critias (114A-B) states:

'"And the name of his younger twin-brother, who had for his portion the extremity of the island near the pillars of Hercules up to the part of the country now called GADEIRA after the name of that region, was EUMELUS in Greek, but in the native tongue GADEIRUS -- which fact may have given its title to the country."

'Since the region had been named after the second son of Poseidon, whose Greek name was EUMELUS, its Greek title must likewise have been EUMELUS, a name which BRINGS TO MIND THE MOST WESTERLY OF THE CYCLADES, MELOS, which is in fact not far from the notorious CAPE MALEAS. The name EUMELUS was in use in the Cyclades; and the ancient inscription ("EUMELUS an excellent danger") was found on a rock ON THE ISLAND OF THERA.

'In general it can be argued from a number of points in Plato's narrative that PLACING "THE PILLARS OF HERCULES" AT THE SOUTH OF THE PELOPONNESE makes sense, while identifying them with the Straits of Gilbralta DOES NOT.

-- Atlantis: The Truth Behind the Legend, by A.G. Galanopoulos & Edward Bacon. Thomas Nelson & Sons Ltd.,

#97    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 4,067 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

Posted Image

#98    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 4,067 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:26 AM

Well I guess I just talking to my self:) but after studying Atlantis for a life time, I have come to a conclusion, it was most likey Thera,  a colony of  Crete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users