Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Can anyone help me with what this could have

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Vincennes

Vincennes

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:33 AM

I am not saying wow I saw a UFO, I just could identify what I did see.

Last night there was a fairly clear sky and a bright, full moon  I was walking my dog about 8:30 p. and noticed that there was a bright star closer to the moon than I had ever noticed before.  One of those half thoughts that went around in my head was it must be that bright because of the moon.

As I continued looking at this "star" which was located to my eye above the moon not in front of it, there seemed to be a short red light that appeared at the "bottom" of the star.  I shook my head, straightened my glasses and watched it..... and slowly the red light disappeared.  I went on watching telling myself I was crazy when, sure enough the red light reappeared, same position.  This on and off went on for at least twenty minutes.
Although the red light came and went ... this "star" object did not move whatsoever.  If anything the light seem to appear with a rotation of the "star."

I do know it was way too high for a plane or a helicopter and, again, it did not move not toward, away of in any direction.

A satelitte?  (sp. that right ??)    I do really have good distance vision.  I would appreciate any of your ideas.

Thanks for any ideas!

#2    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,564 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

You will get some....It might help if you can post location. ( I mean the time in Easter, Pacific, etc. )

I know someone will be able to see what satelites were where, and what planets were where.....

Hang tight, good people in here......I am not one of them on this topic.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#3    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

i'm thinking it was a trick of your eye or a satellite

#4    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

View PostDuncansmom, on 30 November 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

I am not saying wow I saw a UFO, I just could identify what I did see.

Last night there was a fairly clear sky and a bright, full moon  I was walking my dog about 8:30 p. and noticed that there was a bright star closer to the moon than I had ever noticed before.  One of those half thoughts that went around in my head was it must be that bright because of the moon.

As I continued looking at this "star" which was located to my eye above the moon not in front of it, there seemed to be a short red light that appeared at the "bottom" of the star.  I shook my head, straightened my glasses and watched it..... and slowly the red light disappeared.  I went on watching telling myself I was crazy when, sure enough the red light reappeared, same position.  This on and off went on for at least twenty minutes.
Although the red light came and went ... this "star" object did not move whatsoever.  If anything the light seem to appear with a rotation of the "star."

I do know it was way too high for a plane or a helicopter and, again, it did not move not toward, away of in any direction.

A satelitte?  (sp. that right ??) I do really have good distance vision.  I would appreciate any of your ideas.

Thanks for any ideas!
What you saw was the Jupiter/Full Moon conjunction.
The red light effect you are seeing is an artifact of your eyes trying to focus on the dimmer Jupiter while your retina is saturated with the light of the Moon.  In other words it's an illusion.
See photo here:
http://spaceweather....pf7sfjdtqoeurr3

Edited by synchronomy, 30 November 2012 - 04:53 AM.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#5    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

View Postsynchronomy, on 30 November 2012 - 04:50 AM, said:

What you saw was the Jupiter/Full Moon conjunction.
The red light effect you are seeing is an artifact of your eyes trying to focus on the dimmer Jupiter while your retina is saturated with the light of the Moon.  In other words it's an illusion.
See photo here:
http://spaceweather....pf7sfjdtqoeurr3

Nail on the head.

You're good. Do you dabble in astronomy? I am sure I have asked before, but I forget right at this moment.

Beat me to it. The one in 2008 was awesome, it made a smiley face.

Posted Image

Edited by psyche101, 30 November 2012 - 05:47 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#6    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 30 November 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

Nail on the head.

You're good. Do you dabble in astronomy? I am sure I have asked before, but I forget right at this moment.

I dabble.  Anything "up there" facinates me.
Here's two websites I visit every morning when I check news and weather.  I haven't had TV for about three years now and find my outlook on life has improved tremendously.

I visit this site for daily news about the Universe.  There's lots of links there to great stuff:
http://spaceweather.com/

I love this one.  Get a daily shot of cool astronomical pics and the description is loaded with links too:
http://apod.nasa.gov...d/astropix.html

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#7    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

I would quite easily dismiss this has a quirk of astronomy.
Planets and other heavenly bodies have been misidentified before.
If the damn thing started doing impossible maneoveres then there's no way you could mistake it for anything celestial.
Jupiter is a very credible explanation because once I confused it for Venus however there was no light blinking off and on.
My Planets app confirmed my fallacy.

Edited by Walnut Whip, 30 November 2012 - 11:20 AM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#8    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,526 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

This has just sent shivers down my spine.  Yesterday I took my neighbour to work, she is a postwoman so gets their but 6 a.m.  On my way home it had began to get light.  The skies were very blue as there had been a deep frost.  The moon was full and very bright, to the right of the moon was a very bright light.  Like a star but very bright,  It didn't move and just didn't seem right.  

Are stars usually visible in daylight?  Can't imagine what else it could be however I have never seen that before.

Posted Image

#9    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 2,094 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

View Postskookum, on 30 November 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

This has just sent shivers down my spine.  Yesterday I took my neighbour to work, she is a postwoman so gets their but 6 a.m.  On my way home it had began to get light.  The skies were very blue as there had been a deep frost.  The moon was full and very bright, to the right of the moon was a very bright light.  Like a star but very bright,  It didn't move and just didn't seem right.  

Are stars usually visible in daylight?  Can't imagine what else it could be however I have never seen that before.
It was/is the planet Jupiter.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#10    constantine_337

constantine_337

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

• Love is the law of the universe. Hatred is a disease that kills nations.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Yes, giving the correct conditions you can see stars during the day.

Posted Image

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

#11    AZDude1973

AZDude1973

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• "Your future is what you make it, so make it a good one." - Doc Brown

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

This past February, Venus and Jupiter were visible next to the Moon. Pretty cool stuff!

#12    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

I get the feeling that any star or planet really close to the moon gets distorted.
Even stars could lose their twinkle and look otherworldly.
I'm not 100% sure but I think the Pole Star can be seen in daylight.

Edited by Walnut Whip, 30 November 2012 - 01:57 PM.

Up the Robins!

#13    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostAZDude1973, on 30 November 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

This past February, Venus and Jupiter were visible next to the Moon. Pretty cool stuff!
It would be if I can tell them apart!

Up the Robins!

#14    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,439 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I was looking at the full moon and Jupiter just last night...it was absolutely beautiful as the clouds were illuminated and the colors quite striking.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#15    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

I've been watching this the last few nights.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users