I have always found it to be easy to do my own thing. I have been intentionally excluded from social situations simply because I do not like cars, like to drink beer, like country music, like going downtown and wasting money. Why is it that people feel an overwhelming sense to fit in? Myself? I do many things that are viewed as "out of the norm" in society, or even in my own home environment.
- I don't buy Christmas gifts. I view it as pathetic to reinforce somebody's self worth over a material item. My mother literally started crying one year because I did not buy her a gift, and that it made her feel worthless. I told her that I did not want a gift, yet she feels that in order to reinforce her love for me, she needs to buy something for me. I repeatedly tell her not to, and she still does. She says "I'm not even worth a card to you?". It is quite disgusting, and sad that an individual would base their value in materialistic terms.
- I go to movies by myself quite often.
- I have eaten in restaurants by myself, which prompted some "stares".
- I sing in public, which prompts stares, and compliments (Lol. )
- If supper is ready and my father isn't home, I take my meal and eat anyway. She says, "You should wait for your father". I ask "Why?", and she says, "Just because. That's how things are." I ask "Do you know why that is?", and she says "No. It's just the way it is."
- I drink coffee at a social gathering where everybody is drinking beer, because I personally prefer coffee over beer.
My own mother has negatively criticized my behaviour, saying "You're always doing your own goddamned thing. Why can't you be like everybody else sometimes?", which made me feel bad at the time. She has constantly said that she admires my ability to go to movies by myself, because she would "never be able to do it".
My question is, why is it that those who engage in activities that deviate from the norm are viewed in a negative light, or cast out?
I have intentionally done things just to fit outside of the norm, so I don't feel as if I am a conformist.
Edited by Alienated Being, 30 November 2012 - 05:09 PM.