Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Christmas postage

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,396 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Its probably the first time in the  U.K. that postge stamps to send Xmas cards to friends, will cost more than the price of the card. example 10 cards in a pack £3-00, (includes envelopes). 10 postage stamps = £4.70. and they are not guaranteed to get there.The Post Office is ripping off people. If you send an envelope more than 6 x 4 inches large, its best to get it weighed as a 47p 1st class stamp will not cover it,and the recipient will have to go and collect it and be charged £1.20....thats just happened to Sis-in-Law.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,114 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

You sure?

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

I do not celebrate christmas, but normally out of respect to friends and family who do, I send them a card, but not xmas cards, they get "new Year" cards. Thats the understanding we have.
This year has been pretty shate for me, so if anyone expects me to send them a card or present, well they can just  merrily  go and kiss my jingle bell exterior.
As for the post office...i still reckon the price of a stamp is cheap considering how quickly the post does normally arrive, if it were not going too far away, then those moaning should post it themselves the lazy ghits.

right thats it! rant over.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,963 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Yeah the postage cost here in the US keeps going up too. I hate it.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 30 November 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

Yeah the postage cost here in the US keeps going up too. I hate it.
Maybe its because people are buying bigger and more presents, someone needs to pay for the transport and the fuel to cart those prezzies around, and it aint santa and his sleigh.

How can some people complain about a couple of pounds or dollars in postage when the presents they are buying has probably gone up by 50% since last year anyway?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#6    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,785 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 30 November 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

Its probably the first time in the  U.K. that postge stamps to send Xmas cards to friends, will cost more than the price of the card. example 10 cards in a pack £3-00, (includes envelopes). 10 postage stamps = £4.70. and they are not guaranteed to get there.The Post Office is ripping off people. If you send an envelope more than 6 x 4 inches large, its best to get it weighed as a 47p 1st class stamp will not cover it,and the recipient will have to go and collect it and be charged £1.20....thats just happened to Sis-in-Law.
Hi spud, sorry to break the news to you but you're quoting old prices. Postage has gone up! First class letter post is now 60p and second class is now 50p. I prefer the old system where letters just went by their weight, it's silly the way they do it now, taking into account the actual size of the envelope too.

I always send Xmas cards using second class stamps, and some overseas by air mail. I usually post them in plenty of time too to make sure they arrive but there's no guarantees, especially with the overseas ones.

The only time I use second class is for the Xmas cards, for anything else  I've always used first class.

Posted Image

#7    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,785 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 30 November 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

How can some people complain about a couple of pounds or dollars in postage when the presents they are buying has probably gone up by 50% since last year anyway?
All the more reason to not want to pay more for postage I would think.. It's bad enough if we have to spend more on the gifts themselves without being fleeced to mail them as well.

Last year I sent a package overseas by air mail and the postage cost me more than what was inside the package!

Edited by Still Waters, 02 December 2012 - 01:33 PM.

Posted Image

#8    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 02 December 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

All the more reason to not want to pay more for postage I would think.. It's bad enough if we have to spend more on the gifts themselves without being fleeced to mail them as well.

Last year I sent a package overseas by air mail and the postage cost me more than what was inside the package!

No, all the more reason we should be protesting about getting ripped off in the shops just because its christmas. If you go back there just after xmas you can get a lot of those prezzies half price, just shows how much they were "not" worth in the first place.
I still think its cheap. if you send something abroad, its still got to be cheaper posting it than if you delivered it yourself.

#9    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,785 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 02 December 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

I still think its cheap. if you send something abroad, its still got to be cheaper posting it than if you delivered it yourself.
That goes without saying or postage prices to overseas would be unaffordable! I wish I could deliver in person and stay for a holiday there too.

Posted Image

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 02 December 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

That goes without saying or postage prices to overseas would be unaffordable! I wish I could deliver in person and stay for a holiday there too.
i have an idea, if they have the internet send them an email and tell them you will give them their present when you arrive....then as the year goes on, come up with an excuse why you can not go and how sorry you are, but its ok, you still have the newly invented ever lasting bread in the cupboard for them.

#11    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,785 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 02 December 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

i have an idea, if they have the internet send them an email and tell them you will give them their present when you arrive....then as the year goes on, come up with an excuse why you can not go and how sorry you are, but its ok, you still have the newly invented ever lasting bread in the cupboard for them.
No problem, we're in touch every day and already have plans for next year. But for now I'll just have to make use of good old Royal Mail!

I guess you've read that news topic I posted about the bread :D

Posted Image

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 02 December 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

I guess you've read that news topic I posted about the bread :D
absolutely. :tu:

#13    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,396 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 02 December 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

Hi spud, sorry to break the news to you but you're quoting old prices. Postage has gone up! First class letter post is now 60p and second class is now 50p. I prefer the old system where letters just went by their weight, it's silly the way they do it now, taking into account the actual size of the envelope too.

I always send Xmas cards using second class stamps, and some overseas by air mail. I usually post them in plenty of time too to make sure they arrive but there's no guarantees, especially with the overseas ones.

The only time I use second class is for the Xmas cards, for anything else  I've always used first class.
  Hiya, young Lady, my apologies I cant keep up with these rises in prices. It was 47p last time I was in the post office.We have a system here where the Boy Scouts will deliver locally for 20p per item, you "post" the letter at the local library, and they get there the SAME DAY this is for Xmas week only.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#14    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,785 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 02 December 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Hiya, young Lady, my apologies I cant keep up with these rises in prices. It was 47p last time I was in the post office.We have a system here where the Boy Scouts will deliver locally for 20p per item, you "post" the letter at the local library, and they get there the SAME DAY this is for Xmas week only.
No worries. I only found out myself recently when I went to buy Christmas stamps ready to put on the cards. They do that Boy Scouts delivery here too, there's a special posting box inside our local chemist but I've always liked to post early.

Posted Image

#15    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Well, there's this new hip thing out now called email...

And guess what, it's free!!

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users