Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

Let me introduce you to the Grim Reaper

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,933 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Completely fake.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#17    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,116 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Yeah, it's a fake.  The train's serial number has even been altered to make it fit the story.

Here's the original pic with no creepy face in the funnel smoke.

Posted Image

From here: http://kenf.sakura.ne.jp/zsld51ax.htm

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#18    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Leave the ripper out of this! He is an honest working em... ripper! pick another name :P

#19    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,116 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

I even found the face used for the screaming face in the smoke.  It's the third image that comes up in a Google Image Search for 'screaming face'.

Posted Image

I was able to recreate it in Photoshop.

Posted Image

The top image is the one posted in the opening post, the bottom is my recreation of it.

For some reason, whoever faked the image in the opening post blurred out some areas at the edges of the image and Photoshopped out the cable mast that can be seen behind the train and the cables as well.

Edited by Archimedes, 01 December 2012 - 07:50 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#20    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 01 December 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

I even found the face used for the screaming face in the smoke.  It's the third image that comes up in a Google Image Search for 'screaming face'.

Posted Image

I was able to recreate it in Photoshop.

Posted Image

The top image is the one posted in the opening post, the bottom is my recreation of it.

For some reason, whoever faked the image in the opening post blurred out some areas at the edges of the image and Photoshopped out the cable mast that can be seen behind the train and the cables as well.
thank you for posting this.
this is the very reason that some of us give jaded responses to these types of posts. in the two years i've been in this site there have been countless faked pics and countless threads where skeptics have piped in and countless times someone has played the bully card about it.
to the OP -
you say someone gave this pic to you, ok fine, but you also are presenting it to us with this story - so what gives with that?

edit to rephrase

Edited by JGirl, 01 December 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#21    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

This is just another case of people being too open-minded to see the truth.

A huge problem on this forum.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#22    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Nice one Archimedes! :tsu:

#23    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,116 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

View PostBling, on 01 December 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

Nice one Archimedes! :tsu:
Thanks.

Google's Reverse Image Lookup is a hell of a tool for researching claims like this.  I just dumped the OPs train image into it and the only matching image it found was the original unaltered image.

Also, I can't find any references whatsoever to a Japanese train with number D51 222 being linked with "hundreds" of suicides.  Google is coming up completely blank.  Perhaps someone else can find something.

I'd like to hear from the opening poster what their friend has to say after it has now been proven to be a hoax.

Edited by Archimedes, 01 December 2012 - 10:51 PM.

#24    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,645 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

It really does look too good to be true and also if it were somehow legitimate why would it manipulate the smoke in a fleeting moment? Seems quite random. Then again I have nothing else to compare it with as I haven't came across faces in smoke etc except for in that film The Mummy where Imhotep conjures his enraged face in the sand :w00t:

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#25    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,116 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

Fletcher, I notice you're currently logged into the forum (0:45 GMT).

Do you have anything to add to this topic now that your picture has been shown to be a hoax that was given to you?  Does your friend that gave you the pic have anything to say in light of the proof that it is a hoax?

#26    Fletcher

Fletcher

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostArchimedes, on 02 December 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

Fletcher, I notice you're currently logged into the forum (0:45 GMT).

Do you have anything to add to this topic now that your picture has been shown to be a hoax that was given to you?  Does your friend that gave you the pic have anything to say in light of the proof that it is a hoax?

I wanted to talk with him before replying to this thread, but his phone goes directly to voice mail now.  Nevertheless, it is starting to make a little more sense why he was so upset when I told him that I posted the picture to this forum...

In any case I still intend to go check out the train this afternoon.  It is only an hour drive, and should make for an interesting way for my girlfriend and I to spend our Sunday.

#27    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,116 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostFletcher, on 02 December 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

I wanted to talk with him before replying to this thread, but his phone goes directly to voice mail now.  Nevertheless, it is starting to make a little more sense why he was so upset when I told him that I posted the picture to this forum...

In any case I still intend to go check out the train this afternoon.  It is only an hour drive, and should make for an interesting way for my girlfriend and I to spend our Sunday.
Please post pics if you do visit it.  I'd love to see the original train that your story (whether hoax, urban legend or true story) is based upon.

And show this thread to your friend.  It may have simply been harmless pranking on his behalf (or someone he knows), but these things grow legs and run all over the Internet as truth, and on forums like this, where there are (and let's be generous here) many overly open minded members, it gets copied, repeated, etc. until it becomes Internet truth.

#28    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

View PostArchimedes, on 01 December 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Yeah, it's a fake.  The train's serial number has even been altered to make it fit the story.

Here's the original pic with no creepy face in the funnel smoke.

Posted Image

From here: http://kenf.sakura.ne.jp/zsld51ax.htm
i looked for this,and couldn't find it.
I knew the original had to look like this. I am surprised the serial numbers are even changed . I mean why bother ?

Needless to say,none of my Japanese friends have heard of a shinigami train .

Miss me?

#29    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

View PostArchimedes, on 02 December 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

Please post pics if you do visit it.  I'd love to see the original train that your story (whether hoax, urban legend or true story) is based upon.

And show this thread to your friend.  It may have simply been harmless pranking on his behalf (or someone he knows), but these things grow legs and run all over the Internet as truth, and on forums like this, where there are (and let's be generous here) many overly open minded members, it gets copied, repeated, etc. until it becomes Internet truth.
I posted bunches of pix of the D51 222 train,on the first page of this thread.

Miss me?

#30    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostArchimedes, on 01 December 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

Thanks.

Google's Reverse Image Lookup is a hell of a tool for researching claims like this.  I just dumped the OPs train image into it and the only matching image it found was the original unaltered image.

Also, I can't find any references whatsoever to a Japanese train with number D51 222 being linked with "hundreds" of suicides.  Google is coming up completely blank.  Perhaps someone else can find something.

I'd like to hear from the opening poster what their friend has to say after it has now been proven to be a hoax.
i searches with a Japanese search engine . I do speak and read intermediate Japanese ....I'm not good with kanji ,but I know where to look and how to read basics.
There was nothing about it being haunted .

Miss me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users