Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Girl, 8, bitten by dolphin at SeaWorld

dolphin jillian thomas seaworld

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,374 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Eight-year-old Jillian Thomas is so obsessed with dolphins that when her parents brought her to SeaWorld Orlando last week, she made sure to visit the dolphin cove twice.

But she and her parents received the fright of their lives when the marine mammal lunged toward her during the feeding and snapped his toothy snout around the 8-year-old's hand.

Eight-year-old Jillian Thomas is so obsessed with dolphins that when her parents brought her to SeaWorld Orlando last week, she made sure to visit the dolphin cove twice.

http://www.orlandose...0,3056755.story

Posted Image

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Well..what is nice is that the girl did not seem too bothered by the incident and was actually worried about the animal.
I agree that more supervision was needed and perhaps the family should have been instructed on how to properly feed the dolphins.

Also..one should always be aware that these are still animals and sometimes even in the best of circumstances something can happen.

Well..what is good is that there is no lawsuit or anyone screaming for the animal to be killed or something.

#3    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,257 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Interesting, the kid seems to have more sense than the adults here. She seems to understand that the dolphin is simply an animal that got carried away at snack time.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,346 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

I think the Dolphin thought it was grabbing a fish.   I think it is a bad idea to have kids feeding dolphins like that. Dolphins don't belong in a fish tank. It is cruel to keep them that. I have never been and won't go to Sea World.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#5    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

Alien Abducter

• 4,616 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

I'm glad she was a smart enough little girl to not let things get carried away. I'm sure the dolphin wasn't trying to bite her and was only going after the fish, and I'm glad she realized it.

#6    xCrimsonx

xCrimsonx

Resident Vamp

• 5,249 posts

• The Vampire Lair
    http://paranormalborder.net/forum/3002966/
    "All Torque & No Traction"
    "Static - Cold"
    "GF,FO"
    "1"

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Bless her, she'll prolly grow up to be a Marine Biologist! <3 Tough lil cookie!

Maybe they could use a padded extension for children  that clamps the fish enough for the littlies to reach out and feed them!

Edited by xCrimsonx, 02 December 2012 - 11:27 PM.

The Paranormal Border
The Vampire Club18+

http://forum.paranor...order.com/index
Posted Image

#7    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

Dolphins are agressive towards each other in the wild. Many have bite marks and scratches on their bodies and fins. Naturally sooner or later one will take a nip at a human if they are in close contact.

#8    magnoliaReverie

magnoliaReverie

Poltergeist

• 2,933 posts

• In the end, we'll all become stories.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

I watched the video, it looks just like it was going after more fish because she lifted the plate up. (which apparantly she was told not to do) But that's exactly why kids probably shouldn't be doing this. Kids get excited, kids get distracted, kids make mistakes. Hand feeding any kind of animal you are taking a risk.
She seems like a smart kid though. Too bad her parents decided to post the video to the media/public after promising her they wouldn't show it to anyone.

#9    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

Jillian did not get an infection but she was melancholic for a few days. She worried the dolphin was might be hurt after eating the paper plate in her hand and she prayed for it, her mother said

#10    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,610 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 03 December 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

Jillian did not get an infection but she was melancholic for a few days. She worried the dolphin was might be hurt after eating the paper plate in her hand and she prayed for it, her mother said
...and the parents are probably worried about the amount of money that they can get an attorney to sue for.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#11    AbyssWalker

AbyssWalker

I'm not a Mutant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 03 December 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

...and the parents are probably worried about the amount of money that they can get an attorney to sue for.

Don't give them ideas, buddy!

#12    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 02 December 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

I think the Dolphin thought it was grabbing a fish.   I think it is a bad idea to have kids feeding dolphins like that. Dolphins don't belong in a fish tank. It is cruel to keep them that. I have never been and won't go to Sea World.

Yeah I hate the idea too.

There's an old beach town several hours north of where I live that has dolphins coming into the shallow waters every morning and afternoon. Apparently it's been happening since before the British settlement.

They have daily feedings of the dolphins, usually done by a marine biologist or similar that also teaches a bit about them. It's good to see them up and close in their natural environment.  

Monkey Mia, yes funny name.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#13    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

The parents can't sue because as Sarah pointed out everyone else was following the rules but she did not. Leave your paper plate on the ledge. Also if you have ever been to Seaworld's Dolphin Cove you would know that the rules also state to walk away as soon as you are done so others can have their chance. She stood there, held up her paper plate, and that is what the dolphin went for. Guess the girl wasn't that smart after all but I bet she never makes the same mistake again.

#14    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

View Postsarah_444, on 03 December 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

I watched the video, it looks just like it was going after more fish because she lifted the plate up. (which apparantly she was told not to do) But that's exactly why kids probably shouldn't be doing this. Kids get excited, kids get distracted, kids make mistakes. Hand feeding any kind of animal you are taking a risk.
She seems like a smart kid though. Too bad her parents decided to post the video to the media/public after promising her they wouldn't show it to anyone.

Awesome post but I disagree with the last two sentences. Her father released the tape as a warning to other parents. That is a valuable service because most parents probably figure it is a controlled environment and nothing can go wrong. This will put others on edge to always watch your children and insure they are following the rules to minimize risk.

#15    magnoliaReverie

magnoliaReverie

Poltergeist

• 2,933 posts

• In the end, we'll all become stories.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostI believe you, on 03 December 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

Awesome post but I disagree with the last two sentences. Her father released the tape as a warning to other parents. That is a valuable service because most parents probably figure it is a controlled environment and nothing can go wrong. This will put others on edge to always watch your children and insure they are following the rules to minimize risk.

I understand wanting to warn other parents, though I would hope that most other parents would already realize the risks and that though they are usually friendly, Dolphins are still animals. Large animals. (we all know that even a cat, dog, goat etc might bite if you are feeding it)

I still don't think it was  necessary to force the kid, while still hurt and upset, to show off her injuries because "It was important"  and then plaster it online.  I think that the footage of her being bitten would have been enough of a warning if they really felt it was important to warn other parents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users