Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Childhood Trauma Leaves Mark On DNA

Render

ScienceDaily (Dec. 2, 2012) — Abused children are at high risk of anxiety and mood disorders, as traumatic experience induces lasting changes to their gene regulation. Scientists from the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry in Munich have now documented for the first time that genetic variants of the FKBP5 gene can influence epigenetic alterations in this gene induced by early trauma.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/121202164057.htm

But I do hope ppl won't use this to pull the "i can't help it, it's my genetics"- card. The fact that epigenetic changes are possible is reason enough to not blame stuff on genetics, but you're own ability to cope and change.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/121202164057.htm

But I do hope ppl won't use this to pull the "i can't help it, it's my genetics"- card. The fact that epigenetic changes are possible is reason enough to not blame stuff on genetics, but you're own ability to cope and change.

No, I was thinking that mine must look really mutated, though! Lol

Childhood trauma has left me with a mood disorder and a personality disorder - both of which I didn't ask for.

Heres some strange advice.

Go liquidise a whole lemon (including the peel), add in something to take the edge of the bitterness, drink and wait 1 hour. You'll notice the effects kicking in with your moods. Repeat a few times a week for a couple of weeks and you'll find a permanent change.

Some of the pigments giving it the yellow colour rewire your brain.

Go liquidise a whole lemon (including the peel), add in something to take the edge of the bitterness, drink and wait 1 hour. You'll notice the effects kicking in with your moods. Repeat a few times a week for a couple of weeks and you'll find a permanent change.

And you know this how?

Interesting, but all I don't find that when I search. Do you have any links?

And you know this how?

I was looking into the pigments in fruit for anti-aging effects.

Lemon peel has some very powerful ones that are being researched as chemotherapy, anti-obesity and MAOI drugs (treat mood, depression and anxiety disorders).

I was looking into the pigments in fruit for anti-aging effects.

Lemon peel has some very powerful ones that are being researched as chemotherapy, anti-obesity and MAOI drugs (treat mood, depression and anxiety disorders).

Interesting....are there any web links you could show us, as glorybebe asked?

I've been plagued with trauma my whole life, starting out small like parents hitting me and telling me how ugly and fat I am, then shoving me in my room and locking me away when I cried(still happens to this day), to multiple rapes and self mutilation to stop the suicidal thoughts with no support from anyone, even being told it was all my fault.

Now, I hear things and see things that aren't there, inside my head. I wonder if science could tell me how different I would have been if I had been grown in a loving environment, or if I was destined for this life all along. Like, can they tell that it's a mark from pain or was it always there?

• Like 1

I can see this but I wonder when the point comes in that people develope multiple personalities.

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

Interesting....are there any web links you could show us, as glorybebe asked?

Hesperidin, hesperidium, naringin, naringenin, Cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin, Limonene, there are loads of them.

Heres a website - http://www.animacenter.org/citrus.html - I quote from it 'can be helpful when working with stagnant depression, grief, sadness or even anxiety'.

The best way considering its about 40p a lemon is to buy one and experience the effect for yourself. The pigments in the lemon peel contain some which are sedatives, super anti-oxidents (vastly superior to vitamin C), MAOIs and anti-cancer chemicals. You may be surprised to find eating a whole lemon (including peel) will actually leave you feeling intoxicated but its not because theres any alcohol in it. Its the pigments.

I'd avoid orange peel as they use a chemical to turn them orange which is linked to cancer. If you check out Limonene it doesnt give humans cancer just rats.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Multiple personalities is easy to figure out as basically just acting. The disorder part comes when it is uncontrolled, unwanted, and generally a detriment to your well-being in any given situation. I know this because they tried to diagnose me with it because I act like I need to act in any situation to survive but since I realized what I was doing, I can control it(Being me when I want to), and I was doing it only for my personal well-being. Simply put my nicknames were a little more involved then just a name change. Like when I was in living in a bad area I was called something different but I'd dress more like the area fit in when I needed to to survive. Basically put I was going undercover. This is why if you go to a shrink it's easier just to open up and get it over with.

My brother who was diagnosed with it did the exact same thing in a different way because of a different thing. He would be become who he needed to be completely. He completely became that persona and unaware when he became back to himself.

His personalities basically put were acting out emotions. He had a chemical imbalance.

It also comes out to where he has an actual record where I look like I should have a record.

We both got what we needed(He got meds making his mind stable, and I got the help to make my life stable) and we both live a productive life.

I'm not sure why the difference though seeing this page makes not knowing why downright frighting.

Hesperidin, hesperidium, naringin, naringenin, Cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin, Limonene, there are loads of them.

Heres a website - http://www.animacenter.org/citrus.html - I quote from it 'can be helpful when working with stagnant depression, grief, sadness or even anxiety'.

The best way considering its about 40p a lemon is to buy one and experience the effect for yourself. The pigments in the lemon peel contain some which are sedatives, super anti-oxidents (vastly superior to vitamin C), MAOIs and anti-cancer chemicals. You may be surprised to find eating a whole lemon (including peel) will actually leave you feeling intoxicated but its not because theres any alcohol in it. Its the pigments.

I'd avoid orange peel as they use a chemical to turn them orange which is linked to cancer. If you check out Limonene it doesnt give humans cancer just rats.

Might be of interest to you, today in the newspaper:

Yet another good reason to tuck into that salad: Eating tomatoes could ward off depression

• Eating tomatoes just a few times a week could halve a person’s chances of suffering the blues
  • Contain antioxidant chemicals thought to protect against some diseases
  • But other fruits and vegetables do not have the same benefits, the Chinese study found

http://www.dailymail...depression.html Edited by Render

Quite right. If through a traumatic experience, the DNA will change then its also plausible that through some time of treatment or therapy, one could reverse the DNA back to normal.

• Like 1

Quite right. If through a traumatic experience, the DNA will change then its also plausible that through some time of treatment or therapy, one could reverse the DNA back to normal.

Is it that easy to change someones actual DNA? I mean I would assume the trauma would have to be pretty intense and you would have to experiance it more than just once, for it to actually have an effect on your DNA.

All this does is prove Chinese medicine. This is part of t he premise of treatment and diagnosis .

In Japanese acupuncture,they have a treatment specifically for "birth trauma" ,which is alleged to impact upon us quite dramatically.

Traumas later in life,both physical and emotional ,are said to be held in our musculature ,and can cause a myriad of illnesses .

Western medicine gets kudos ,yet again,for figuring out something that Is in the classic Chinese medical texts from over 2000 years ago .

Lol

Edited by Simbi Laveau

All this does is prove Chinese medicine. This is part of t he premise of treatment and diagnosis .

In Japanese acupuncture,they have a treatment specifically for "birth trauma" ,which is alleged to impact upon us quite dramatically.

Traumas later in life,both physical and emotional ,are said to be held in our musculature ,and can cause a myriad of illnesses .

Western medicine gets kudos ,yet again,for figuring out something that Is in the classic Chinese medical texts from over 2000 years ago .

Lol

lol so your saying western medicine is behind

lol so your saying western medicine is behind

By a few thousand years .

Every couple of years,western medicine comes up with some new big find ,that's been completely explained by Chinese medicine ,in the yellow emperors manual.

Huangdi Neijing .

We just call it the Neijing .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huangdi_Neijing

We are always amused when they get one right ,when its been in our book,since about 200 AD

Edited by Simbi Laveau

By a few thousand years .

Every couple of years,western medicine comes up with some new big find ,that's been completely explained by Chinese medicine ,in the yellow emperors manual.

Huangdi Neijing .

We just call it the Neijing .

http://en.wikipedia....Huangdi_Neijing

We are always amused when they get one right ,when its been in our book,since about 200 AD

And they in turn think there the first ones to come up with it, its gotta make you chuckle