Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is It OK For the Girl to Propose?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Is It OK For the Girl to Propose? No Way, Study Suggests

Despite loosening of gender roles at work and in society as a whole, men and women are remarkably traditional when it comes to marriage, new research finds.
In fact, the study of college students at a liberal-leaning university found that not a single man or woman wanted a proposal in which the woman asked the man to marry her. And while 60 percent of women said they were "very willing" or "somewhat willing" to change their surname to their husband's upon marriage, 64 percent of men said they were "very unwilling" or "somewhat unwilling" to do the same for their wives.
"These topics are something that most people deal with and that most people decide to do in a traditional way," said study researcher Rachael Robnett, a graduate student in psychology at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Source: http://www.livescien...e-marriage.html

Posted Image

~MEH~

#2    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

I guess I wouldn't have a problem if the woman proposed.  But, I really don't think I'd ever take my wife's name....

Strange how that works.

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,353 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

I would definitely take my girlfriend's last name because then together our initials would be E & K G... or EKG. :w00t:

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#4    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

I can't see myself proposing or getting proposed too.

I see me dating someone for a long time and us like eating pizza on the coach and one of us saying "we should get married" and other one saying "k. whatever"

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#5    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,025 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

"Will you marry me darling ?"

(Representation of what I would hear as I head for the distant hills!)

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,649 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I can't see why not, personally.
Mind you, I asked a girl to marry me once and she said I deserved better then her, I'm unable to read interpersonal signals at the best of times (too ASD) so if the girl took the iniative like that it'd probably be much easier on us both!

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

In some jurisdictions, anyone who gets married or divorced may change their name is they wish.  I was not permitted to take on the names of Gandalf or Thorin for some reason.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,645 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it.

#9    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• Dang!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

A marriage proposal from the girl is not something bad, in my opinion. If my girlfriend asks me to keep her surname after our marriage, i'd had no problem letting her keep it, but i really don't know, if i would take her surname...

Edited by CuriousGreek, 03 December 2012 - 10:07 PM.

Αν ανάμεσα σ’ όλον τον κόσμο,
νιώθεις πως δεν υπάρχουνε λύσεις,
τότε μόνο δυο μάτια μπορούνε,
να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να ζήσεις.

#10    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,804 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

I honestly believe it is the guys duty to ask a woman/girl all the facets of such things. It goes hand in hand with being able to protect and provide, as if the future wife gets pregnant, he can keep the family afloat while she is unable to work as an example.

#11    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,730 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

was always more of a mutual thing with me, I guess. "Hey...what do you think about getting married?" Etc.

#12    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,312 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

Easier to blame it on the man if something goes wrong.  "It was your idea!"

Women are supposedly the ones who are pushing and hinting for marriage all the time.  it's the man who ususally has cold feet.  So if he proposes, then he really means it, I guess.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#13    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'd rather buy cats.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#14    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,611 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

It doesn't matter who asks since both parties still have to decide together ultimately.

As for a male taking on a female's surname, well that is not what is really happening, he would be taking her father's surname in all actuality. If we had a true system where both males and females passed down their own surnames it might be different but as of now the guy would just be taking some other older dude's surname.

Orcseeker, on 04 December 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

I honestly believe it is the guys duty to ask a woman/girl all the facets of such things. It goes hand in hand with being able to protect and provide, as if the future wife gets pregnant, he can keep the family afloat while she is unable to work as an example.

Females as primary breadwinners exist. Females who work while their partners are unable to exist. But I get your point.

#15    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,804 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

I believe you, on 04 December 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Females as primary breadwinners exist. Females who work while their partners are unable to exist. But I get your point.

Oh yes I don't deny that, I hope I didn't come across as sexist or anything but women are the ones who get pregnant :P Some women enforce the man protecting them and providing for them notion, others take the helm.

I personally wouldn't want a woman to propose to me or anything of the sort. Usually Id go with the mutual decision but generally if I know them Id know how they would want it so that's how I'd do it accordingly. I don't think it's any real big deal but whatever makes them happy for some little kneeling action is ok with me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users