Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Thermography -- 'Pinocchio Effect' confirmed:

pinocchio effect nose temperature rises

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 05 December 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

Depends, lie tell tales work on 'normal' people, not on pathological; and trained liars.
Hmmm. Well not all crooks are pathological liars but a lot are. Still. In Australia a lie detector has no evidentiary value in the courts exactly due to your point.

#17    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

You can make the truth look like a lie just by simply saying something in a different way. You ask the wrong questions you make it easier to misguide the truth. There is a huge difference when you say I can walk on water when you really mean you can walk on ice if you think of water as both. Training and/or being clever can beat any lie test.

Lol my nose gets warm when I drink and drinking tends to make me exaggerated things more often so they maybe on to something :P

#18    Socio

Socio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Now if they can get C-Span to use this technology and broadcast a picture in picture of this, watching congressmen talk could get real interesting.

#19    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

Interesting topic... I wonder how the law would use this new information on human physiology since the current lie detectors results are inadmissable in US courts.

Seems like this type of lie detector can also be beat if one has been drinking and the nose gets warm... lol   Then again, I've been known to spew unnecessary truths while inebriated anyway. :blush:

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#20    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

as soon s they find a way to tell if a person is lying, someone starts finding a way to get around it.
i read a case of a guy who had put tacks inside his shoes to mess up the polygraph results. he could somehow manipulate his reading by causing pain to his feet.

#21    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,415 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostJGirl, on 07 December 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

as soon s they find a way to tell if a person is lying, someone starts finding a way to get around it.
i read a case of a guy who had put tacks inside his shoes to mess up the polygraph results. he could somehow manipulate his reading by causing pain to his feet.

I read about him too!  Jumping Jack Slash was his name, I think.  :)

#22    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostEldorado, on 07 December 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

I read about him too!  Jumping Jack Slash was his name, I think.  :)
don't remember the name of the guy, but he's not the only one who had done it. any type of detection is going to have it's downfalls, unless one can read minds.
there seems to be a shortage of psychic people working in law enforcement...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users