Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man Possessed by Gay Demon

Bling

Back to the video.....I think it's incredibly sad that this guy feels he has to go through such an ordeal. Being gay does not equate to being possessed by a demon - any fool knows that, but once in the clutches of fanatical religious folk clearly his mind has been brainwashed. Either that or he has other issues or wants the attention. Either way, it's pretty shocking that these things are even going on in this enlightened world.

I don't find some opinions enlightening themselves.

No one truly has a right to say what cultural practices belong in this world or not except those within those very cultures. Only from the inside can culture legitimately be changed. Not through a colonialist mindset of dictating that other societies and segments of our society should do things exactly as we do when we had our our chance to grow, have internal debates, change, and so forth. Others must be allowed this.

Boiling things down to fanatics, brainwashing, and other stereotypical antireligious accusation is a very simplistic approach.

Opinions that shade these people as wrong, are opinions which are wrong themselves. I agree they do need to change and there is plenty of suffering. Encouraging that change and understanding them is better than just ridiculing them, that doesn't help. And it doesn't matter if someone spent a few years in such a place and ran away, they are no longer part of the culture and cannot effectively change it from the outside.

Edited by I believe you

No one truly has a right to say what cultural practices belong in this world or not except those within those very cultures. Only from the inside can culture legitimately be changed. Not through a colonialist mindset of dictating that other societies and segments of our society should do things exactly as we do when we had our our chance to grow, have internal debates, change, and so forth. Others must be allowed this.

Opinions that shade these people as wrong, are opinions which are wrong themselves. I agree they do need to change and there is plenty of suffering.

So it's ok to tell a gay person they are possessed by a demon?

The main point is simply I don't believe in all cases they are trying to fool anyone much less make a profit, they really believe it. A part of their psyche breaks free and becomes a "demon". They are not simply acting in a fake manner in some instances.

Of course there are plenty of exorcism circuses out to make a show and money, this could very well be one.

I see no strawmen here.

Perhaps you'd like you explain who is accusing exorcists of fraud?

So it's ok to tell a gay person they are possessed by a demon?

Depends on context. Someone who is part of that system and accepts such a belief because someone who also believes that told them, I see no reason to cast fingers and say someone is right or wrong. It is a part of the culture. There is another option than a quick judgmental call, it is called understanding other cultures exist.

Does telling a gay person they are possessed damaging to them, yes, should such a person realize the truth and leave that culture then bravo, but if they remain within and try to change it then that is better. Staying in and pretending while being repressed, worst thing ever.

It is a very nuanced situation. Black and white thinking doesn't allow a clear view and definitely no solution. We need to embrace them into the modern world, not cast them off as being crazed lunatics. That dialogue is an old one, us versus them, but whatever everyone has their view and this is spirituality vs skeptics after all. This is just my view.

Edited by I believe you
  • Like 1

It is entirely possible in my opinion that he has repressed his homosexuality for so long that after being told all his life that it is a sin that he simply created the 'demon' in his own subconscious. This so called 'demon' could then be blamed for his acting out of his homosexual proclivities. Its just sad that such twisted thinking still goes on in this day and age.

• Like 6

Perhaps you'd like you explain who is accusing exorcists of fraud?

I am. There are plenty of exorcist that are, it seems almost like show business to me.

But that doesn't explain every case away, no way of judging if this is authentic (a mental break in the possessed following a cultural script) or a fraud just by watching a video.

It is entirely possible in my opinion that he has repressed his homosexuality for so long that after being told all his life that it is a sin that he simply created the 'demon' in his own subconscious. This so called 'demon' could then be blamed for his acting out of his homosexual proclivities. Its just sad that such twisted thinking still goes on in this day and age.

Exactly.

Very sad indeed.

'Authentic' or not (and by 'authentic' I'm following IBY's definition for this) I see no usefulness behind such pageantry if only to exacerbate this persons suffering instead of actually coming to terms with his actual problem. Any 'religious' way of treating or curing anything should have to go through the same processes as any others.

• Like 3

It's obvious the guy was never gay, just look how he is dressed and those eyebrows could use a trim. Any gay man making a tv appearance would buy some new clothes.

Made me laugh. Thanks bling.

He needs to take some acting lessons too.

Only in America.

Edited by with bells on
  • Like 3

I'm sorry to all my redneck friends for saying this. But those are the two words that came to mind as I watched this. "redneck theater". :)

• Like 1

i got through about fifteen seconds of that video before i shut it off in eye rolling disgust

who hired that guy for the part? red green??

Edited by JGirl

Boiling things down to fanatics, brainwashing, and other stereotypical antireligious accusation is a very simplistic approach.

Opinions that shade these people as wrong, are opinions which are wrong themselves. I agree they do need to change and there is plenty of suffering. Encouraging that change and understanding them is better than just ridiculing them, that doesn't help. And it doesn't matter if someone spent a few years in such a place and ran away, they are no longer part of the culture and cannot effectively change it from the outside.

Slow down.

Doesnt this guy believe himself that he's possessed? If thats the case then surely its his right to request an exocism. Trying to force a gay lifestyle on him is as bad as people trying to force correction on him.

Its his choice and we must respect his decision.

Slow down.

Doesnt this guy believe himself that he's possessed? If thats the case then surely its his right to request an exocism. Trying to force a gay lifestyle on him is as bad as people trying to force correction on him.

Its his choice and we must respect his decision.

To quote you: slow down.

Why does this man think he's possessed? Because a preacher has told him he is, because he's been convinced he is. Preacher's that do that are lying to people and they are causing deep spiritual and psychological harm. Any sense of a 'demon' is entirely down to that preacher. He didn't come to this conclusion on his own.

There's this thing called a self fulfilling prophecy and I think stuff like this is just that. People get told over and over there's something wrong with them and they start to believe it, which leads to negative outcomes.

Personally I have a massive problem with these people. they have no problem deeply harming others and they get away with it. I don't think they should be able to. I just wonder how many people have to suffer for something to be done.

His choice was made under a completely false premise, which makes it hard to respect. I feel sorry for him and others like him, because you know what? All these things do is harm them and make them throw away their true self.

Edited by shadowhive

'Understanding' is all well and good, but sometimes we have to just say 'no'. If a parent comes from a cultural that says it's an acceptable form of punishment to break his kid's arm would you just let him? Would you try and understand, or would you report him to the authorities for child abuse? Sometimes you havve to call a snake and snake and not make any excuses for it.

• Like 1

To quote you: slow down.

Why does this man think he's possessed? Because a preacher has told him he is, because he's been convinced he is. Preacher's that do that are lying to people and they are causing deep spiritual and psychological harm. Any sense of a 'demon' is entirely down to that preacher. He didn't come to this conclusion on his own.

There's this thing called a self fulfilling prophecy and I think stuff like this is just that. People get told over and over there's something wrong with them and they start to believe it, which leads to negative outcomes.

Personally I have a massive problem with these people. they have no problem deeply harming others and they get away with it. I don't think they should be able to. I just wonder how many people have to suffer for something to be done.

His choice was made under a completely false premise, which makes it hard to respect. I feel sorry for him and others like him, because you know what? All these things do is harm them and make them throw away their true self.

I cannot accept that a grown man can't think for himself.

The assumption that a big, nasty, brain-washing preacher has convinced him of this is ludicrus. Its the same as someone who is anti-gay being told religion has brain-washed them. The thing thats missing from your argument is the person logically questioning and deciding what they think themselves.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

I cannot accept that a grown man can't think for himself.

The assumption that a big, nasty, brain-washing preacher has convinced him of this is ludicrus.

I'm not saying he couldn't think for himself.

What I am saying is that gay people are a vulnerable group, prone to manipulation by (as you put it) 'big, nasty brain washing preachers'. But would it just be coming from the preacher? Nope. It would be compounded by the congregation, friends and family. The pressure from all those people, people that matter to him, would have a very big impact. It has happened many, many times. It's sad, it's unfortunate and it really shouldn't happen in this day and age.

Edited by shadowhive

Its the same as someone who is anti-gay being told religion has brain-washed them. The thing thats missing from your argument is the person logically questioning and deciding what they think themselves.

When it comes to religion, logically questioning and deciding what to think tends to be discoouraged.

• Like 2

I'm not saying he couldn't think for himself.

What I am saying is that gay people are a vulnerable group, prone to manipulation by (as you put it) 'big, nasty brain washing preachers'. But would it just be coming from the preacher? Nope. It would be compounded by the congregation, friends and family. The pressure from all those peole, people that matter to him, would have a very big impact. It has happened many, many times.

I think the guy must either be delusional (seeing demons) or maybe a demon really is possessing him.

When it comes to religion, logically questioning and deciding what to think tends to be discoouraged.

It depends on the religion.

Many arent faith based but are philosophically based.

I think the guy must either be delusional (seeing demons) or maybe a demon really is possessing him.

Delusional is most likely. In which case a preacher is the last person he should be seeing.

Delusional is most likely. In which case a preacher is the last person he should be seeing.

From a mental health perspective if the guy trully believes God is real but has 'tasted the forbidden fruit' so to speak then he may well have had some kind of psychotic episode. One where he is actually seeing a demon.

From a mental health perspective if the guy trully believes God is real but has 'tasted the forbidden fruit' so to speak then he may well have had some kind of psychotic episode. One where he is actually seeing a demon.

He should be seeing a mental health professional. Discussing it with a preacher isn't going to help. If anything all it does is enable the delusion and keep it going. The exorcism will just provide a 'quick fix' but the delusion will still be there and could come back.

He should be seeing a mental health professional. Discussing it with a preacher isn't going to help. If anything all it does is enable the delusion and keep it going. The exorcism will just provide a 'quick fix' but the delusion will still be there and could come back.

If I am right then a psychologist wont be able to repair the damage because drugs and psychotherapy cant resolve the contradiction between religion and homosexuality. He'd spend years in treatment and come out how he went in.

The preachers exorcism may well fix it at the snap of a finger.

If I am right then a psychologist wont be able to repair the damage because drugs and psychotherapy cant resolve the contradiction between religion and homosexuality. He'd spend years in treatment and come out how he went in.

The preachers exorcism may well fix it at the snap of a finger.

I think all that does is shows that the religion contradiction is a problem, and one that needs to be tackled. We as a society need to confronting the religions that make this contrdiction a problem. We need to start making sure that people stop being harmed by it.Until we man up and do that, people will continue to be harmed.