Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Terrified to sleep

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Mako_Torriblaidd

Mako_Torriblaidd

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

• The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to keep me tame.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

So lately, when I have been trying to sleep, I have found that sleep has to sneak up on me. Any time I remotely notice it my body freaks out, as in jerks itself back and me back to true consciousness. Any thoughts on why or how to help this? It's getting rather annoying and depriving me of sleep.

#2    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,453 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

View PostMako_Torriblaidd, on 05 December 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

So lately, when I have been trying to sleep, I have found that sleep has to sneak up on me. Any time I remotely notice it my body freaks out, as in jerks itself back and me back to true consciousness. Any thoughts on why or how to help this? It's getting rather annoying and depriving me of sleep.

Am not too sure, but this sounds like hypnagogic jerk..
Please don't take my word for it though, this isn't medical advice..
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Hypnic_jerk

I've had this on rare occasions in the past when just as you are about to fall asleep you notice it like a falling sensation, and instantly jerk yourself out of the fall, lol.. This was in my case due to very long hours, 12, 14 hour shifts, working 26 or more days non-stop.. lack of sleep caused it... sometimes it was accompanied by a sound, a shout..

Edited by Professor T, 05 December 2012 - 07:44 AM.

#3    Mako_Torriblaidd

Mako_Torriblaidd

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

• The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to keep me tame.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

The thing is, it doesn't feel like falling. It's what I can imagine dying feels like, the consciousness shutting off, like my mind is turning inside itself...

#4    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,453 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

View PostMako_Torriblaidd, on 05 December 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

The thing is, it doesn't feel like falling. It's what I can imagine dying feels like, the consciousness shutting off, like my mind is turning inside itself...

Oh..

I actually came back to this thread to add that it could be the beginnings of a mind awake/body asleep stage of consciousness. but your comment doesn't seem to fit that...

I don't know what it could be to be honest... I'm leaning towards this being a fear-based reaction to a shift in consciousness rather than anything else... I kind of hope someone else here has some answers for you..

The mind turning in on it's self sounds like a medative state.. If it were me I'd be inclined to push past that fear, let it happen, face it..
But I'd be inclined to get some more advice from an expert first, or perhaps see a sleep therapist or doctor if you feel that it's dangerous.

Edited by Professor T, 05 December 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#5    34th prototype

34th prototype

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

• I am strong enough to admit that I am weak.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

I swear ..this very holy same took place for me months ago.. I even deprived sleep for two days ,so i'd be able to sleep without me knowing..everSince i understood the possiblity of brain damage,i abandoned that idea,i searched everywhere for a solution..
Finally i found out myself being suprised of being able to sleep with no problems at all,when i stopped sleeping alone,also when i chose another room to sleep(but still not alone)...i think it only works if the one beside you is a beloved one..because i was with my mother...I mean it's got to be that way,since your brain's trained to feel safe when care of your parents is around you.. It might work for you too.I really want to help you..i wish if i could..As far as i know,for me, Fear came at nights..Is not the same for you?

Piieces!!!!!!!

#6    constantine_337

constantine_337

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

• Love is the law of the universe. Hatred is a disease that kills nations.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

While this phenomenon happens to most, studies have recently begun to link some occurrences of hypnic jerks to sleep anxiety, fatigue, and discomfort. People who are having trouble sleeping or cannot get comfortable in bed appear to experience the sensation more often throughout the night. It is especially more common with people who are trying to fight falling asleep or have deprived themselves of sleep for more than 24 hours Researchers believe that the lack of sleep from sleep anxiety or sleep deprivation confuses the muscles and the brain. The muscles continually attempt to relax and shut down for rest, while the brain remains awake creating continued "misinterpretations" of falling or loss of balance.

Posted Image

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users