Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Which Ten Commandments Are Acceptable To You?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Which 10 Commandments do you find acceptable even if you do not agree with the overall message of the Old Testament? Which do you disagree with and find no value in?

For those who believe do you ever question the value of any of them? Do you understand them all? Do any confuse you to exactly what they mean? Have you ever thought about it or just accept the popular narrative?

This is totally subjective, what is more important than being right or wrong simply understanding how other people believe.

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,603 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

I was completely unaware that it was a game of pick and reject.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Children have ten fingers to count on. Each finger is a reminder which is important in the early formation years of their character.
It also works with illiterate people in the early formations of civilizations.

Posted Image

#4    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Gentiles and jews are not held under the law of the commandments anymore but theres no harm in pleasing god in the things he approves of.

1.You shall have no other gods before me. (if god is at the top of the list its seems fair enough to pay only him reverance)

• 2. You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. (theres no point me worshipping man made things when god made everything)
  • 3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain. (if you can imagine any one who you would be respectful to, surely god is entitled to more)
  • 4. Keep the sabath (i guess we have to saturday and sunday for these reasons, if you arnt thankful for the bible, be thankful for the invention of the weekend lol)

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#5    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,527 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

just accidently deleted my other comment lol
in short respect your parents, dont steal, dont murder, dont tell porkies about your neighbor and dont covet your neighbors belongings

i cant see any thing wrong with the commandments

Edited by Armchair Educated, 05 December 2012 - 09:03 PM.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#6    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

For those who, like me, forgot them a long time ago:

Posted Image

Just so you know, I'm an atheist now but was raised as a Christian Protestant. I guess these commandments are a good guide, but that's all .... individual circumstances would probably come into play.

I prefer these as I think they are more appropriate to these times:

Posted Image

Or what about these?:

Posted Image

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#7    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Ouija I never thought you were an atheist? You learn something new everyday!

#8    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,273 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

1-4 are meaningless to a non-believer like myself.

5.....Depends on your parents. Why honor bad parents? Good parents, yes, bad parents, no.

6.....Some version's say murder and some say kill. Out and out murder, no. Self defense or if you are in a war situation, totally acceptable.

7.....Although it happens all of the time, I've never done it, and my reasons have nothing to do with religion.

8.....Stealing is wrong.....just wish our government would obey it.

9.....In other words, don't lead others (especially the authorities) to think someone has done something wrong when they haven't, especially if it leads to their conviction or death. Nothing wrong with this one.

10....Nothing wrong with coveting. Without it, the economy would go even further downhill.

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#9    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

View PostI believe you, on 05 December 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

Which 10 Commandments do you find acceptable even if you do not agree with the overall message of the Old Testament? Which do you disagree with and find no value in?

For those who believe do you ever question the value of any of them? Do you understand them all? Do any confuse you to exactly what they mean? Have you ever thought about it or just accept the popular narrative?

This is totally subjective, what is more important than being right or wrong simply understanding how other people believe.
they are all acceptable to me, given that they are part of an ancient book of writings.
as for which do i plan to follow? actually, i have my own list

#10    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

View PostBella-Angelique, on 05 December 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

Children have ten fingers to count on. Each finger is a reminder which is important in the early formation years of their character.

Yes, it's very important that children remember "Thou shalt not commit adultery".

#11    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

I find all the commandments unacceptable.

#12    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 05 December 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

Gentiles and jews are not held under the law of the commandments anymore

Whoa, when did this happen? This wasn't taught to us in Hebrew school and I got nothing in the mail from God releasing me from them.

#13    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostBling, on 05 December 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

Ouija I never thought you were an atheist? You learn something new everyday!

What did you think? :D

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#14    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

One problem with the "Ten Commandments" is which ten? But let's just go through the most popular list.

1. No other gods before me. Wait, isn't there only one god? Then how is this possible?

2. Don't make carved images. No problem. I could barely hold a pocket knife without cutting myself. Buy your carved images and let them go to hell.

Also don't bow down to them or serve them. You mean like the American Flag?

Some lists say this is the same as the first one.

3. Don't take the Lord's name in vain. Fortunately we've invented much better obscenities now.

4. Obey the Sabbath. That would be Sunday. Or Saturday. I guess any day of the week will do.

5. Honor thy father and mother. The Old Testament says that disobedient children should be killed. Later on it says that if parents don't have the balls to do it themselves, they can go to the Elders and they'll stone the little rat to death for you. Jesus specifically supported this. The New Testament also says that you should ditch your family if they're not believers so this one is a confused mess.

6. Don't murder. Unless God tells you to, as when God ordered the Israelites to exterminate the populations of cities they were conquering.

7. Don't commit adultery. Back when you could marry as many hot babes that dig you (see David, Solomon and many others) it was pretty easy to follow this one. Wilt Chamberlain would have had over 10,000 wives in Biblical times! The Old Testament says the punishment for this is death but the two witness clause (fortunately God does not count as a witness!) means you should just get a motel room.

8. Don't steal. Again, unless God tells you to, as when God ordered the Israelites to take everything in the cities they conquered. There's also some vagueness that may define "finders keepers" to not be stealing.

9. Don't give false testimony against your neighbor. It's no problem if the guy doesn't live next to you. Make up anything.

10. Don't covet your neighbor's stuff. Easy. Just buy better stuff that he will want. Then the Commandment ball is in his court.

Note there are no commandments about lying, cheating, loving thy neighbor (sorry, Jesus), committing fraud (sorry, Jesus alternate version), treating people as you would want to be treated, not harming animals, obeying the king/government, or your sexual orientation.

#15    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

I find this hilarious, it's by George Carlin.

Here is my problem with the ten commandments- why exactly are there 10?

You simply do not need ten. The list of ten commandments was artificially and deliberately inflated to get it up to ten. Here's what happened:

About 5,000 years ago a bunch of religious and political hustlers got together to try to figure out how to control people and keep them in line. They knew people were basically stupid and would believe anything they were told, so they announced that God had given them some commandments, up on a mountain, when no one was around.

Well let me ask you this- when they were making this **** up, why did they pick 10? Why not 9 or 11? I'll tell you why- because 10 sound official. Ten sounds important! Ten is the basis for the decimal system, it's a decade, it's a psychologically satisfying number (the top ten, the ten most wanted, the ten best dressed). So having ten commandments was really a marketing decision! It is clearly a bull**** list. It's a political document artificially inflated to sell better. I will now show you how you can reduce the number of commandments and come up with a list that's a little more workable and logical. I am going to use the Roman Catholic version because those were the ones I was taught as a little boy.

Let's start with the first three:

I AM THE LORD THY GOD
THOU SHALT NOT HAVE STRANGE GODS BEFORE ME

THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN

THOU SHALT KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH

Right off the bat the first three are pure bull****. Sabbath day? Lord's name? strange gods? Spooky language! Designed to scare and control primitive people. In no way does superstitious nonsense like this apply to the lives of intelligent civilized humans in the 21st century. So now we're down to 7. Next:

HONOR THY FATHER AND MOTHER

Obedience, respect for authority. Just another name for controlling people. The truth is that obedience and respect shouldn't be automatic. They should be earned and based on the parent's performance. Some parents deserve respect, but most of them don't, period. You're down to six.

Now in the interest of logic, something religion is very uncomfortable with, we're going to jump around the list a little bit.

THOU SHALT NOT STEAL

THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS

Stealing and lying. Well actually, these two both prohibit the same kind of behavior- dishonesty. So you don't really need two you combine them and call the commandment "thou shalt not be dishonest". And suddenly you're down to 5.

And as long as we're combining I have two others that belong together:

THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTRY

THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S WIFE

Once again, these two prohibit the same type of behavior. In this case it is marital infidelity. The difference is- coveting takes place in the mind. But I don't think you should outlaw fantasizing about someone else's wife because what is a guy gonna think about when he's waxing his carrot? But, marital fidelity is a good idea so we're gonna keep this one and call it "thou shalt not be unfaithful". And suddenly we're down to four.

But when you think about it, honesty and fidelity are really part of the same overall value so, in truth, you could combine the two honesty commandments with the two fidelity commandments and give them simpler language, positive language instead of negative language and call the whole thing "thou shalt always be honest and faithful" and we're down to 3.

THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR"S GOODS

This one is just plain ****in' stupid. Coveting your neighbor's goods is what keeps the economy going! Your neighbor gets a vibrator that plays "o come o ye faithful", and you want one too! Coveting creates jobs, so leave it alone. You throw out coveting and you're down to 2 now- the big honesty and fidelity commandment and the one we haven't talked about yet:

THOU SHALT NOT KILL

Murder. But when you think about it, religion has never really had a big problem with murder. More people have been killed in the name of god than for any other reason. All you have to do is look at Northern Ireland, Kashmir, the Inquisition, the Crusades, and the World Trade Center to see how seriously the religious folks take thou shalt not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable. It depends on who's doin the killin' and who's gettin' killed. So, with all of this in mind, I give you my revised list of the two commandments:

Thou shalt always be honest and faithful
to the provider of thy nookie.

&

Thou shalt try real hard not to kill anyone, unless of course
they pray to a different invisible man than you.

Two is all you need; Moses could have carried them down the hill in his ****in' pocket. I wouldn't mind those folks in Alabama posting them on the courthouse wall, as long as they provided one additional commandment:

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users