Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Postmen threaten to ditch half of deliveries

Still Waters

Postmen are threatening to deliver only half the mail, a militant union warned last night.

Thousands of vital letters such as energy bills and bank statements would fail to reach customers if the boycott went ahead – causing chaos for households and businesses.

Royal Mail has lost business to the likes of TNT Post and UK Mail over the past seven years. Currently, half of all letters are handled by a rival company, with Royal Mail responsible for only the final mile of the delivery.

http://www.dailymail...ompetition.html

• Like 1

I personally am not too bothered about late mail, as long as it does arrive, I do most things online, paying bills and stuff and I don't receive so many Christmas Cards, but for those who will be and if this boycott happens, I'd at least take a trip to the local office every few days to minimize any inconceivable. and thanks I was unaware of this even tho I'm not really effected by it, I still want to know about it.

Seems post offices everywhere are having problems. Would really hate to see them disappear. XmasCryingSmiley.gif

• Like 1

So the Royal Mail may not deliver our bills anymore?

Oh dear. We now have an excuse not to pay those bills.

So... why are they threatening to 'strike'?... Because fewer people are using their services?... That seems weird...

So... why are they threatening to 'strike'?... Because fewer people are using their services?... That seems weird...

I'm afraid not many UK Trades Union leaders have been noted for their ability to think things through!

• Like 1

Postmen threaten to ditch half of deliveries? I thought they already did that.

Like this guy. (and there's dozens more examples)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2059692/Postman-Paul-Willicott-hoarded-30k-letters-home-spared-jail.html

• Like 1

i know i go on about the EU - and this is related, when the EU ruled that the Royal Mail had to open up its profitable side of the business to competition - the likes of DHL, TNT, UPS, UK Mail muscled in and creamed off the most profitable sectors, meanwhile the royal mail has to cope with a national delivery service. unlike the other companies. example of this. if i want to send a letter to the Shetland islands it will cost me £0.60p with the Royal Mail. with the other postal services it costs between £2.80p to £3.40 - if we use TNT as a example, it would cost £3.40. but TNT will only transport the letter to their furthest depot. which is Aberdeen from that point TNT will then post the same letter into the Royal Mail system who will then deliver the letter, it will cost TNT £0.60p to do this - but this means TNT make a profit of £2.80p. - but this is what people forget, unlike TNT and others the Royal mail has to maintain a fleet of vehicles and networks to the far flung corners and rural parts of the country and this is where the Royal Mail loses out, because the likes of TNT, DHL etc dont have to maintain a fleet of vehicles and networks to the none profit elements of the postal service and this puts the Royal Mail at a disadvantage.

Edited by stevewinn

Postmen are threatening to deliver only half the mail, a militant union warned last night.

Thousands of vital letters such as energy bills and bank statements would fail to reach customers if the boycott went ahead – causing chaos for households and businesses.

Royal Mail has lost business to the likes of TNT Post and UK Mail over the past seven years. Currently, half of all letters are handled by a rival company, with Royal Mail responsible for only the final mile of the delivery.

http://www.dailymail...ompetition.html

Unions never stop at protecting worker rights.

They keep going, and going, and going until the business is totally uncompetitive. The problem is that a lot of the people inhabiting them are Communists trying to push their ideals onto the workplace.

TNT is quite big and so are some of its other rivals. The Government should privitise Royal Mail and if they start kicking up a fuss pull the rug out from under them - disband Royal Mail, let the public use its rivals and dump the lot of the red scum on the dole.

i know i go on about the EU - and this is related, when the EU ruled that the Royal Mail had to open up its profitable side of the business to competition - the likes of DHL, TNT, UPS, UK Mail muscled in and creamed off the most profitable sectors, meanwhile the royal mail has to cope with a national delivery service. unlike the other companies. example of this. if i want to send a letter to the Shetland islands it will cost me £0.60p with the Royal Mail. with the other postal services it costs between £2.80p to £3.40 - if we use TNT as a example, it would cost £3.40. but TNT will only transport the letter to their furthest depot. which is Aberdeen from that point TNT will then post the same letter into the Royal Mail system who will then deliver the letter, it will cost TNT £0.60p to do this - but this means TNT make a profit of £2.80p. - but this is what people forget, unlike TNT and others the Royal mail has to maintain a fleet of vehicles and networks to the far flung corners and rural parts of the country and this is where the Royal Mail loses out, because the likes of TNT, DHL etc dont have to maintain a fleet of vehicles and networks to the none profit elements of the postal service and this puts the Royal Mail at a disadvantage.

Sounds like a no-win situation for the RM... If they up the cost of multi-company mail (mail that goes by another carrier then by the RM) the other carrier will just pass the cost on to the customer.. Not sure what they should do...

We are facing a similar problem here in the states.. The US Mail is laying off people and downsizing offices just to stay in business... I know a lot of younger people around here are basically saying "So what?" I always use ____ (UPS, FEDEX, DHL whatever)... I for one will miss the Post Office, with all it's 'warts and blemishes' when it eventually dies...

"Postmen are threatening to deliver only half the mail, a militant union warned last night"

That must mean it's almost Christmas. Same tactics used by the transport unions during the Olympics, wait until there's a demand & then make your threat.

The royal mail is dead.

80% of all the mail you get you can get via email.

Its redundant.

the Royal Mail is far from dead. if i had to choose between e mail and conventional mail i'd choose the old style mail, but i think both have a role to play and can co-exist its not a case of one or the other. - personally i like receiving mail - e mail as its place like when ordering online etc..