Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cindy and Craig Corrie Interviewed

Yamato

I've never seen an interview at length with either of Rachel Corrie's parents, much less both of them. But finally we have the opportunity to hear both of her parents speak about her human rights activism and fatal encounter with an illegal Israeli bulldozing operation.

My heart goes out to these beautiful people.

http://youtu.be/i7T-5OQG0nQ

• Like 2

It was unfortunate that this young woman died as she did. Equally unfortunate that her death was used by the group she was working with to try and destroy the bulldozer operator and the Israeli government for what quite obviously was a tragic accident.

It was unfortunate that this young woman died as she did. Equally unfortunate that her death was used by the group she was working with to try and destroy the bulldozer operator and the Israeli government for what quite obviously was a tragic accident.

Based on? Something in the video? All those other "tragic accidents" every time Israel kills an American?

"Try and destroy" the bulldozer operator? Or bring him to justice to account for his crime? Run someone over and kill them "by accident" in your own country and learn what happens to you. At least at automotive speeds there's some room for error under poor driving conditions. Going less than 1mph in a bulldozer and still managing to crush someone to death who's standing right in front of you with a megaphone isn't a tragic accident it's a stupid one.

• Like 2

My sympathies to her family but not to her. You stand in front of a moving vehicle, even if the person operating the vehicle sees you, you're putting yourself in danger, intentionally. I'm not sure what the 'true' story is, whether the operator saw her or not, he said he didn't, others in her group say he did. This is one of those eye for an eye and the world goes blind kind of tragedies. There's nothing good from this story, really, even the protesting of these settlements just seems to have been dirtied by this death.

My sympathies to her family but not to her. You stand in front of a moving vehicle, even if the person operating the vehicle sees you, you're putting yourself in danger, intentionally. I'm not sure what the 'true' story is, whether the operator saw her or not, he said he didn't, others in her group say he did. This is one of those eye for an eye and the world goes blind kind of tragedies. There's nothing good from this story, really, even the protesting of these settlements just seems to have been dirtied by this death.

So she died in vain and nothing good can come out of it?

Actually...were we to have no sympathy for this man either, just because the tank driver "saw" him, or perhaps because even the Commie government of China has more restraint than Israel's?

tank-man-tianenman-3724-20090507-5.jpg

• Like 5

The true story is Rachel Corrie was shouting into a megaphone at the bulldozer, so the bulldozer driver must've been deaf too while he was busy not "seeing" her. The Chinese hero above was holding two shopping bags, not a megaphone. So even if the lead tank's commander wasn't deaf (and blind), he at least might not have heard him screaming, if he even was.

Where does our sympathy really lie? At least with the nonviolent civil action that doesn't get you killed by the violence you're protesting? Was our Chinese hero brave, or just stupid (yet sensible because he as an individual didn't die for the photo op)? Would Rachel have deserved sympathy if she nimbly dived out of the way of the blind dozer at the last second?

Couldn't see? Puleez.

corrie4.jpg

corrie7.jpg

Edited by Yamato

Actually...were we to have no sympathy for this man either, just because the tank driver "saw" him, or perhaps because even the Commie government of China has more restraint than Israel's?

tank-man-tianenman-3724-20090507-5.jpg

The true story is Rachel Corrie was shouting into a megaphone at the bulldozer, so the bulldozer driver must've been deaf too while he was busy not "seeing" her. The Chinese hero above was holding two shopping bags, not a megaphone. So even if the lead tank's commander wasn't deaf (and blind), he at least might not have heard him screaming, if he even was.

Where does our sympathy really lie? At least with the nonviolent civil action that doesn't get you killed by the violence you're protesting? Was our Chinese hero brave, or just stupid (yet sensible because he as an individual didn't die for the photo op)? Would Rachel have deserved sympathy if she nimbly dived out of the way of the blind dozer at the last second?

Couldn't see? Puleez.

corrie4.jpg

corrie7.jpg

First, if you would like to discuss the Tiananmen Square incident, start a thread and I'll check it out, so I'll just disregard the comparisons between a Chinese protest for democracy and a human rights protest in occupied territory by an American citizen.

Seen? Heard? Was I or were you in the bulldozer at that exact moment? I wasn't so I can't tell you what he saw or heard, but I can read his statements and the statements of the other protesters. Is it horrible she died? Of course! But I'm not gonna play a violin for her when she was in a dangerous situation and only made it more dangerous for herself. Playing a cat and mouse game with vehicles? Putting yourself in front of a bulldozer?

Fine. Yes. He saw her. But she saw the bulldozer too.

I think people should treat vehicles like they should treat guns. If it's moving, don't get in front of it cause it could hit you, while with a gun, you don't point it at someone because it could be loaded.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 1

The Corries have my sympathy, but do they really think that the sacrificing thier daughter for thier liberal ideals was a fair exchange? It was after all thier idealism that was the root of her own over the top activism. She died for nothing in my viewpoint. They remind me of my sisters in-laws who at the birth of my neice announced (to the disgust of my father and I) hooray! Another voter for the democratic party!

The Corries have my sympathy, but do they really think that the sacrificing thier daughter for thier liberal ideals was a fair exchange? It was after all thier idealism that was the root of her own over the top activism. She died for nothing in my viewpoint. They remind me of my sisters in-laws who at the birth of my neice announced (to the disgust of my father and I) hooray! Another voter for the democratic party!

You may think so but she did not die for nothing.

God bless her.

You may think so but she did not die for nothing.

God bless her.

I specified it was my viewpoint. And since not one thing has changed since her death.........

I specified it was my viewpoint. And since not one thing has changed since her death.........

Well, other then the 3000 newly planned settlements...

• Like 1

Based on? Something in the video? All those other "tragic accidents" every time Israel kills an American?

"Try and destroy" the bulldozer operator? Or bring him to justice to account for his crime? Run someone over and kill them "by accident" in your own country and learn what happens to you. At least at automotive speeds there's some room for error under poor driving conditions. Going less than 1mph in a bulldozer and still managing to crush someone to death who's standing right in front of you with a megaphone isn't a tragic accident it's a stupid one.

Yam this young woman probably thought she was untouchable because of a US passport. She put herself in a very dangerous situation and a terrible accident occurred. To say anything else is to accuse the driver of murdering her. What possible benefit would accrue to any Israeli in that situation? I mean, really? At worst the driver may have been upset for her brashness and assumed she had sense enough to get out of the way of a huge multiple ton piece of heavy equipment. That seems a reasonable assumption to me. Her parents probably are more responsible for her death than the dozer operator. They made her fearless and somewhat arrogant IMO. The world is a cruel place and has little pity for the haughty.

Hit the nail on the head.

Israel hasn't sent the military into Tel Aviv to protect the establishment. Also, China isn't communist. It's run by the Communist Party but it does capitalism better than the US does.

Yam this young woman probably thought she was untouchable because of a US passport. She put herself in a very dangerous situation and a terrible accident occurred. To say anything else is to accuse the driver of murdering her. What possible benefit would accrue to any Israeli in that situation? I mean, really? At worst the driver may have been upset for her brashness and assumed she had sense enough to get out of the way of a huge multiple ton piece of heavy equipment. That seems a reasonable assumption to me. Her parents probably are more responsible for her death than the dozer operator. They made her fearless and somewhat arrogant IMO. The world is a cruel place and has little pity for the haughty.

Sorry bud... but that post has more excuses than ... the driver of the heavy duty operation machine is guilty of negligence at the very least. When you're the operator of such a piece of machinery, especially in public, you make damn sure you're operating in the best safety of the environment surrounding you. This was pure negligence. Absolutely no respect given to the third party which the individual would have given one of his own family members or friends. .... GUILTY

First, if you would like to discuss the Tiananmen Square incident, start a thread and I'll check it out, so I'll just disregard the comparisons between a Chinese protest for democracy and a human rights protest in occupied territory by an American citizen.

Seen? Heard? Was I or were you in the bulldozer at that exact moment? I wasn't so I can't tell you what he saw or heard, but I can read his statements and the statements of the other protesters. Is it horrible she died? Of course! But I'm not gonna play a violin for her when she was in a dangerous situation and only made it more dangerous for herself. Playing a cat and mouse game with vehicles? Putting yourself in front of a bulldozer?

Fine. Yes. He saw her. But she saw the bulldozer too.

I think people should treat vehicles like they should treat guns. If it's moving, don't get in front of it cause it could hit you, while with a gun, you don't point it at someone because it could be loaded.

Am I unreasonable to compare Tank Man to Rachel Corrie when "standing in front of a moving vehicle" was the reason for your lack of sympathy? I had hoped a battle tank would qualify.

"She saw the bulldozer" begs the question what was she doing. She was protesting at least, and obstructing an illegal demolition at most. Either act of civil disobedience is equally respectable to me. Her man-slaughtering bulldozer driver just following orders and killing her doesn't diminish her civil service or her uncanny bravery. Who among us is truly courageous enough to stand up to brutality and force control, standing in front of a giant metal monster moving towards us. I would bet money that none of us are. She's a modern day martyr to some, a treasonous fool to others, love Rachel or hate her.

I find some of these comments utterly disgusting..

She went to a foreign country and stood up for her beliefs and died because of it..

And people are using her death to justify either side of what seems like a hopless situation..

The facts are that she stood against something she saw as wrong, and died because of that..

She put her life on the line and lost it..

That's neither pointless nor is it dying in vain... That's showing the world that she had more balls than most of us..

• Like 1

Sorry bud... but that post has more excuses than ... the driver of the heavy duty operation machine is guilty of negligence at the very least. When you're the operator of such a piece of machinery, especially in public, you make damn sure you're operating in the best safety of the environment surrounding you. This was pure negligence. Absolutely no respect given to the third party which the individual would have given one of his own family members or friends. .... GUILTY

I have to view the Corries as honest and reliable witnesses. Just based on this OP interview this was at least negligence. Even "following orders" deserves the driver a guilty verdict for criminal negligence imho. But there were much bigger fish to fry in this case, too.

I completely disagree with the conclusion that she died in vain. She turned out bigger in death than she was in life. She may have lived a long life to do many great things and so I would be wrong in saying that. But at least up until that point and the relative unknown that she was, her death shined a bright light on the plight of Palestine.

• Like 1

I never felt untouchable due to a US passport...at all.

Maybe it was her passion for Palestinians that made her brave.

Great parents raise children to be strong, not afraid. Fearless doesn't mean stupid, though fearless doesn't exist in reality. Everyone is afraid of something; some are just more able than others to hide their chinks. Yet courageous people accomplish great things or die trying, and Rachel did both.

I'm sorry I just don't view using fear as a motivator to be something that you wish for. Especially for our children.

She went to a foreign country and stood up for her beliefs and died because of it..

And people are using her death to justify either side of what seems like a hopless situation..

The facts are that she stood against something she saw as wrong, and died because of that..

That's neither pointless nor is it dying in vain... That's showing the world that she had more balls than most of us..

So now all potential in her life is gone at the age of 22. No chance to have children, no chance to help anymore people, no chance to laugh, cry, dance....nothing. game over. Waste. You know, there are plenty of Palestinians that don't sacrifice thier lives for thier own cause, that find other ways of fighting the injustice they face daily. Had this young person done something more reasonable than stand in the way of a 5 ton bulldozer, She could have done good for people she thought were suffering for years and still had room enough to live a happy life. But now....nothing. That is not a positive thing. Edited by OverSword

The death was senseless. Sometimes it is necessary to die for a cause but I firmly believe that this wasn't a good example of that. It was an accident that she could have avoided if she had been thinking more clearly. WHO, in their right mind plays "chicken" with a bulldozer? An arrogant young person who feels she can cow an authority figure - and it just didn't work out the way she expected. I respect her principles but her judgement was for crap on this day.
  • Like 1

So this guy allows an arrogant young person to stop him from his duty and he potentially loses his job? SHE CHOSE to stand in front of a moving piece of heavy equipment that was about to remove an abandoned (years) property. She was attempting to force her views on a nation to which she was not even a citizen. This guy was doing a job KNOWING that protesters were trying to stop him. Let's call it what it was - they got into a p***ing contest and she paid large. And where sound and visibility were concerned, the machine is extremely loud and depending on the position of the blade he might very well have not seen her and assume (as would be reasonable for a rational person) that she had good sense enough to get away from the danger -NOT GUILTY.

So now all potential in her life is gone at the age of 22. No chance to have children, no chance to help anymore people, no chance to laugh, cry, dance....nothing. game over. Waste. You know, there are plenty of Palestinians that don't sacrifice thier lives for thier own cause, that find other ways of fighting the injustice they face daily. Had this young person done something more reasonable than stand in the way of a 5 ton bulldozer, She could have done good for people she thought were suffering for years and still had room enough to live a happy life. But now....nothing. That is not a positive thing.

The death was senseless. Sometimes it is necessary to die for a cause but I firmly believe that this wasn't a good example of that. It was an accident that she could have avoided if she had been thinking more clearly. WHO, in their right mind plays "chicken" with a bulldozer? An arrogant young person who feels she can cow an authority figure - and it just didn't work out the way she expected. I respect her principles but her judgement was for crap on this day.

Your entitled to your views..

You are right though Oversword, it wasn't a positive thing, but that's not to say some positive events can come because of it..

But like I said, people are using her death to justify a terrible situation.. And if anything her death has brought attention to that..

No life, or death is without point or sense. So there was nothing pointless or sensless about her actions and death.

I kinda wish people saw things for what they are that more often, instead of jumping the gun and picking sides to back. because there is no quicker way to cause conflict than picking sides..

Your entitled to your views..

You are right though Oversword, it wasn't a positive thing, but that's not to say some positive events can come because of it..

But like I said, people are using her death to justify a terrible situation.. And if anything her death has brought attention to that..

No life, or death is without point or sense. So there was nothing pointless or sensless about her actions and death.

I kinda wish people saw things for what they are that more often, instead of jumping the gun and picking sides to back. because there is no quicker way to cause conflict than picking sides..

I hear you Prof. I've just had too many friends die young and as I get older and see just how much life they've miss out on through recklessnes, bad luck, and suicide it just bothers me when I see a pretty 22 year old girl get killed when she could have taken a step back followed by a deep breath and still been here. If you look at her life and how she really did alot of good selfless charitable things for others ever since she was a child it seems all the more a shame that she died like that. Very sad thing.
  • Like 2

I hear you Prof. I've just had too many friends die young and as I get older and see just how much life they've miss out on through recklessnes, bad luck, and suicide it just bothers me when I see a pretty 22 year old girl get killed when she could have taken a step back followed by a deep breath and still been here. If you look at her life and how she really did alot of good selfless charitable things for others ever since she was a child it seems all the more a shame that she died like that. Very sad thing.

I can appriciate that..

I've had two go that way myself.. Forgiving them is the hardest thing..