Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

How many alien civilizations are there ?

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#46    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,170 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Well, none so far.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#47    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 5,137 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

View Post747400, on 08 December 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

isn't that what he's saying, that a Light year is so far that it doesn't really matter whether something's 1000 or 10000, as, even with Faster than light travel, it's all academic anywayy? If we could find a way to travel at nearly light speed, 1 light year might be feasible, but 1000 would still be impossibly far.
But 10000, then, would be more impossibly farther.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot... Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

I'm dead drunk and heave' hanging upside down... (good ol' AC/DC).

#48    Somethings Not Right

Somethings Not Right

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

• "The more things change, the more they stay the same".. Snake Plissken

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

View Postconstantine_337, on 06 December 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

infinite possibility's given their is no end to the universe.
That's a very sensible answer! & there could be more than one universe!!

#49    Somethings Not Right

Somethings Not Right

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

• "The more things change, the more they stay the same".. Snake Plissken

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 07 December 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

Have fun with this.  

Posted Image

Posted Image
I do like the top picture! ... but what does it mean?

#50    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,265 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

It's map of stars in our general vicinity...not sure about the meaning MacGuffin had in mind though.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#51    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 12,650 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:37 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 08 December 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

I wouldn't hold my breath about receiving signals from them, though, since the military would very likely jam them of they thought anyone was listening in without authorization.

And how exactly would the military accomplish that rather fantastic feat, I dare ask?

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#52    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 12,650 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

View Postquillius, on 07 December 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

as for the neighbourhood question.....curious as to the difference it would make...i.e 1000 LY versus 10000 LY? :santa:

Quite a bit, actually, I would think. First of all, there are a lot more stars within a 10000 LY range than within a 1000 LY range. Secondly, as you mention in another post is the actual travel. I don't know about that one. I think it depends on the technology whether 10000 LY is the same as 1000 LY. But another matter would be the chances of actually finding us.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#53    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,033 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 09 December 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

Quite a bit, actually, I would think. First of all, there are a lot more stars within a 10000 LY range than within a 1000 LY range. Secondly, as you mention in another post is the actual travel. I don't know about that one. I think it depends on the technology whether 10000 LY is the same as 1000 LY. But another matter would be the chances of actually finding us.

Cheers,
Badeskov
Finding us and even Looking for us is the real question. My money is on the possibility that We will be the ones that some day find that Alien civilization . After all If we dont that old saying "Its a big waist of space" if theres not sumptin out there. But what if ? :tsu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#54    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,162 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

View Postbmk1245, on 09 December 2012 - 01:08 AM, said:

But 10000, then, would be more impossibly farther.
like 1000 wouldn't be? That's the point; it doesn't  matter if we could only go at the speed of Light, would it?

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#55    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

The universe is just teeming with life, quadrillion galaxies, and even universes.... what dumb %$##* would think that we are alone.... oh yeah I get it... the flat earth society !!

#56    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostLilly, on 08 December 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

Considering we've yet to find any life beyond Earth, I'd say it's all just guesswork at his time.
If one subscribes to panspermia, it would almost have to.  OTOH, we have yet to find intelligent life here. ;)

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#57    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,162 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

View PostKludge808, on 09 December 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

If one subscribes to panspermia, it would almost have to.  OTOH, we have yet to find intelligent life here. ;)
That's a theory i find fascinating. When you think they've just discovered ice and organic stuff* on Mercury, of all places, that must have been brought by comets or Meteors, then that would support the argument that there may be stuff being shuffled about all over the universe.

* that's the technical term

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#58    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

View Post747400, on 09 December 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

That's a theory i find fascinating. When you think they've just discovered ice and organic stuff* on Mercury, of all places, that must have been brought by comets or Meteors, then that would support the argument that there may be stuff being shuffled about all over the universe.
Perzactly.  While it makes Earth a little less unique, it can also support organics found in meteorites.  Mercury is bonus.  It will be interesting to learn what they find on the moons around the gas giants.

* that's the technical term
It was also one of Carl Sagan's favorite descriptive words.

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#59    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,685 posts

• space debris, decided to evolve and become us!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

DRAGONWORMS
These creatures are largely subterranean and have been reported on very rare occasions. Although a mutation of the serpent race which lost the use of it's limbs through centuries of atrophication, it is nevertheless apparently a part of the reptilian 'conspiracy'. The 'Dragonworms' are reportedly very intelligent, according so certain sources. 'They' have sometimes been described as appearing similar to a giant reptilian 'worm' or 'slug'.

http://www.burlingto...secretsufo.html

#60    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,033 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

One ! Us !

This is a Work in Progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users