Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Facebook's privacy vote

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,754 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Facebook has sent all its users an email this week about a vote on its proposed changes to Data Use Policy - the site's term for its privacy policy.

The dry, quietly worded email is more significant than it sounds.

Unless 300 million people (a third of Facebook’s users) vote ‘against’ by Monday 8pm GMT, the networking giant will no longer allow users to vote on policy changes.

The move has caused concern among privacy groups, who say it’s “impossible” for 300 million to vote in the time period, and that users are worried that their “voices will no longer be heard”.

Full story

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,222 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

IMO, no one should put anything on Facebook that they don't want completely/totally public. Every image, passing comment can (and probably will) be used by anyone to profile you for just about any purpose (marketing, employment, etc).

Personally, I do not have a Facebook account.

Edited by Lilly, 06 December 2012 - 04:28 PM.
poor grammar

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#3    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• Dang!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 06 December 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

I do have a Facebook account, but i haven't received any e-mail yet. :w00t:

Αν ανάμεσα σ’ όλον τον κόσμο,
νιώθεις πως δεν υπάρχουνε λύσεις,
τότε μόνο δυο μάτια μπορούνε,
να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να ζήσεις.

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,754 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

No? I received mine a few days ago.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#5    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

I've got an invitation to a bingo hall.
I've got quirky conversations with the peeps on my "friends" list.
I've got a colourful Facebook page.
I'm part of a stimulating "open" group.
However I've received no E-Mails.
Tbh whatever happens I'm not unduly concerned.
Facebook's nothing but a part-time hobby anyway.
All and sundry can have a look if they want but there's nothing particularly earth-shattering there.

Edited by Walnut Whip, 07 December 2012 - 09:13 AM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#6    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Everybody's privacy needs to be respected but consider this...
Tbh, being on Facebook is like hiding in plain sight as the old adage goes.
It's like not seeing your own personal page for the Facebook tree.
You need a certain combination of keywords in Google just to get a certain name.
Providing you've got the information about the actual name itself.
And the only person who knows is a friend or colleague.
A complete stranger is not going to suddenly gatecrash your own page.
And if you feeling really squeamish why don't you log off while it's idle.
The only partitions worth signing are for charities and things that effect you in your local community.

Up the Robins!

#7    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,650 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

View PostWalnut Whip, on 07 December 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

Everybody's privacy needs to be respected but consider this...
Tbh, being on Facebook is like hiding in plain sight as the old adage goes.
It's like not seeing your own personal page for the Facebook tree.
You need a certain combination of keywords in Google just to get a certain name.
Providing you've got the information about the actual name itself.
And the only person who knows is a friend or colleague.
A complete stranger is not going to suddenly gatecrash your own page.
And if you feeling really squeamish why don't you log off while it's idle.
The only partitions worth signing are for charities and things that effect you in your local community.

You need to know who the real threat is on Facebook, it isn't another person on the net, but Facebook itself. Facebook sells your information to companies, provides advertisers your details if you click on their ads, and profiles you by scanning your messages to other people with an algorithm. They boast their algorithm can "find out if someone is gay before they even realise themselves". If you talk with others for example, about a high level crime over Facebook, you will be handed over to the authorities.

Every picture or piece of content you upload on Facebook, if unclaimed, is automatically property of Facebook. So the pictures you uploaded of yesterday's wedding don't belong to you, but Facebook. I think they keep content that has also been deleted.

#8    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,222 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

I tell everyone to get off of Facebook ASAP for the very reasons being discussed.

IMO:

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#9    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• Dang!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostLady Kasey, on 06 December 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

No? I received mine a few days ago.
I still haven't received a mail from FB, but it's okay. I don't have to worry, since i haven't put my real name in it nor have put any photos of mine. I just have a facebook page just to keep in touch with some specific people and learning something new every day for the things, i'm interested in ;)

Αν ανάμεσα σ’ όλον τον κόσμο,
νιώθεις πως δεν υπάρχουνε λύσεις,
τότε μόνο δυο μάτια μπορούνε,
να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να ζήσεις.

#10    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 07 December 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

You need to know who the real threat is on Facebook, it isn't another person on the net, but Facebook itself. Facebook sells your information to companies, provides advertisers your details if you click on their ads, and profiles you by scanning your messages to other people with an algorithm. They boast their algorithm can "find out if someone is gay before they even realise themselves". If you talk with others for example, about a high level crime over Facebook, you will be handed over to the authorities.

Every picture or piece of content you upload on Facebook, if unclaimed, is automatically property of Facebook. So the pictures you uploaded of yesterday's wedding don't belong to you, but Facebook. I think they keep content that has also been deleted.
That's absolutely scandolous! But I'm not going to abandon it just yet.
There's quite a bit of stuff that needs ironing out through the "open" group.
The kind of stuff that has huge consquences for me and other like-minded people.
I also need to keep in touch with my family so I don't want a reputation as a pariah.
Btw I don't think I'll be getting a dawn raid anytime soon because of my actions on Facebook.
Well apart from partaking in the Green Fairy,rants and encouraging people to shoot pigeons.
But there is one curious detail I need to get off my chest...
There's been some missing threads from the "open" group.
Do you think the guys in charge of Facebook would stoop that low and delete them?

Edited by Walnut Whip, 08 December 2012 - 12:04 PM.

Up the Robins!

#11    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,650 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostWalnut Whip, on 08 December 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

That's absolutely scandolous! But I'm not going to abandon it just yet.
There's quite a bit of stuff that needs ironing out through the "open" group.
The kind of stuff that has huge consquences for me and other like-minded people.
I also need to keep in touch with my family so I don't want a reputation as a pariah.
Btw I don't think I'll be getting a dawn raid anytime soon because of my actions on Facebook.
Well apart from partaking in the Green Fairy,rants and encouraging people to shoot pigeons.
But there is one curious detail I need to get off my chest...
There's been some missing threads from the "open" group.
Do you think the guys in charge of Facebook would stoop that low and delete them?

I still have Facebook too and a university tutor of mine I had told the tute about this and he still has Facebook too. Tips: Include misleading or false information, change your gender, change your Facebook name to something that would throw searches off your legitimate name (maybe different last name), basically include as little of your life as possible. Another video presentation I watched that is quite a good one (I'll dig it up and post it on here) and should outline a lot of important facts.

Deleting threads, possibly but it goes hand in hand with suspending the users simultaneously. So effectively a user can get banned for a period of time given the amount of offences that have been made by the user.

#12    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 08 December 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

I still have Facebook too and a university tutor of mine I had told the tute about this and he still has Facebook too. Tips: Include misleading or false information, change your gender, change your Facebook name to something that would throw searches off your legitimate name (maybe different last name), basically include as little of your life as possible. Another video presentation I watched that is quite a good one (I'll dig it up and post it on here) and should outline a lot of important facts.

Deleting threads, possibly but it goes hand in hand with suspending the users simultaneously. So effectively a user can get banned for a period of time given the amount of offences that have been made by the user.
The only time I use Facebook now is tuning into updates.
I could do as you suggest and fill in bogus details but the ones in my immediate circle will still cotton on to it.
However my school details are clearly visible and it won't be much of a hardship to get rid of it.
There's no clear indication of where I live and in fact if I'm unemployed or not.
However the "open" group is more of a problem and I can't ask the guy who organised it to just shut it down.
There's quite a few personal details that could be dynamite in the wrong hands.
But I've got to keep on the guys good side and I can't think of any approach to reach him.
It has to stay open because it's a source of comfort to some people.
If you knew the full story you'll probably understand the motive behind it.
Btw my background on my Facebook page is Blencathra.
I'm no budding mountaineer so it could be construed as a shock.

Edited by Walnut Whip, 08 December 2012 - 01:10 PM.

Up the Robins!

#13    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,112 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

I could not care less what facebook does with my data in terms of advertising. If it means they'll provide me more ads about things I'm interested in, so be it. My local grocery store does pretty much the same thing too. In fact, my TV, all stores, my bank, EVERYONE is compiling your data and using it or selling it. It's a fact of life.

And, I love my Facebook. It's how I keep in touch with family and friends. It's how I keep track of what I'm going out to do on weekends.

I have my security settings dialed in. I've built audience lists, I don't add people I don't know in real life (with just a very few exceptions) I don't generally comment on public posts, and none of my posts are displayed publically.

If you know how to use Facebook and configure it correctly, it's not a problem... unfortunately, most people don't know how.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#14    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Facebook can follow me to hell for all I care. We talk about the most inane crap ,and the thing is,all other site you go to ,profile you . You can't be on line at all,to avoid it all.
I also use my grandmother's name for my profile .

Miss me?

#15    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,650 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostWalnut Whip, on 08 December 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

The only time I use Facebook now is tuning into updates.
I could do as you suggest and fill in bogus details but the ones in my immediate circle will still cotton on to it.
However my school details are clearly visible and it won't be much of a hardship to get rid of it.
There's no clear indication of where I live and in fact if I'm unemployed or not.
However the "open" group is more of a problem and I can't ask the guy who organised it to just shut it down.
There's quite a few personal details that could be dynamite in the wrong hands.
But I've got to keep on the guys good side and I can't think of any approach to reach him.
It has to stay open because it's a source of comfort to some people.
If you knew the full story you'll probably understand the motive behind it.
Btw my background on my Facebook page is Blencathra.
I'm no budding mountaineer so it could be construed as a shock.

Are there a lot of members in this group? Any members with a more than necessary amount of friends? ( primarily asking this as their activity on the group could be known to 1000+ people and spread the groups existence around)

If there are any of your details or anyone's on there you could let them know about and probably remove if you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users