Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Electronic cigarettes challenge anti-smoking

electronic cigarettes anti-smoking blu ecigs

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,587 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

A new TV advert for a brand of electronic cigarettes marks the first time in decades cigarettes of any sort have been promoted on US television. Anti-smoking campaigners fear the rapid growth of tobacco-free cigarettes could undermine years of successful anti-smoking efforts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-20583902

Posted Image

#2    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 06 December 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

Anti-smoking campaigners fear the rapid growth of tobacco-free cigarettes could undermine years of successful anti-smoking efforts.

Of course they fear it. Tobacco-free cigarettes are very effective .. a little too effective. If people stop smoking cigarettes, the anti-smoking campaigners will be out of a job.

Edited by Vein Capital, 06 December 2012 - 05:09 PM.

Posted Image

#3    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,887 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Once 'Nanny' has found something to ban, she's always reluctant to relinquish it!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,771 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostVein Capital, on 06 December 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Of course they fear it. Tobacco-free cigarettes are very effective .. a little too effective. If people stop smoking cigarettes, the anti-smoking campaigners will be out of a job.

The larger issue is taxes.  Government stands to lose billions if these things really take off.

That's always been the little wink-wink when it comes to Government and the anti-smoking movement.  In spite of what they say, Government needs a percentage of the population smoking in order to collect those tax revenues.

It's no different than gas guzzling autos - how much money does the Government make when I fill up my Suburban vs plug in my Volt?

Edited by Rafterman, 06 December 2012 - 05:19 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• Dang!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

If all those anti-smoking efforts were so successful, why do they fear electronic, tobacco-free cigars?

Αν ανάμεσα σ’ όλον τον κόσμο,
νιώθεις πως δεν υπάρχουνε λύσεις,
τότε μόνο δυο μάτια μπορούνε,
να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να ζήσεις.

#6    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostCuriousGreek, on 06 December 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

If all those anti-smoking efforts were so successful, why do they fear electronic, tobacco-free cigars?
Because, GASP, there's reduced health risks. It gets under their skin that smoking, which has been an anathema in most social circles in recent years, is now making a public come back as something people can enjoy without the numerous health risks. I'll agree that 'e-cigs' probably still aren't that safe, but I'm sure they're safer then the cancer sticks I smoke.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#7    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,562 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Who the hell really wants to walk around sucking on a battery operated water vapor machine? Maybe just people who really want to quit the real deal but these will never replace tobacco because no one is going to become an electronic smoker without first being a real smoker and either way unless you have a serious oral fixation complex nobody is going to become addicted to inhaling water vapor which btw I can't see being to good for your lungs in the long run either. These will only take off when someone figures out how to modify them into something that you can catch a buzz off of.

Posted Image

#8    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

What about if we improve the design of these E-cigarettes to look like Asthma inhalers?
Tbh the current ones are getting very close to the general shape of them.
Surely the anti-smoking lobby will calm down with that kind of initiative.
Btw I'm a compulsive smoker and whatever trick they play this guy's not for turning.
I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime.

Edited by Walnut Whip, 06 December 2012 - 05:49 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

The anti smoking campaigns and the products used therein ,are owned by tobacco companies.

Smart huh. They own tabacco,and stuff used to quit ,so they make money either way .
It's obvious tobacco free   ,isn't owned by them ,so they make no money at all .
Tut tut .

The draw back of electronic cigarettes is,they have been know to explode ,injuring people .

And before anyone says,OH NOES ,YOU'RE WRONG.I GOOGLED IT !
tabacco cos are completely tied in financially with the pharmaceutical companies that make the quitting adjuncts.
http://jama.jamanetw...rticleid=195192

They are all very much in bed with one another,and they all make huge bucks ,wether you smoke,quit,or get heart disease or cancer from smoking .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 06 December 2012 - 05:42 PM.

Miss me?

#10    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 06 December 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

The anti smoking campaigns and the products used therein ,are owned by tobacco companies.

Smart huh. They own tabacco,and stuff used to quit ,so they make money either way .
It's obvious tobacco free   ,isn't owned by them ,so they make no money at all .
Tut tut .

The draw back of electronic cigarettes is,they have been know to explode ,injuring people .

And before anyone says,OH NOES ,YOU'RE WRONG.I GOOGLED IT !
tabacco cos are completely tied in financially with the pharmaceutical companies that make the quitting adjuncts.
http://jama.jamanetw...rticleid=195192

They are all very much in bed with one another,and they all make huge bucks ,wether you smoke,quit,or get heart disease or cancer from smoking .

Yes but the tobacco only fund the anti-smoking ads because it was part of the settlement for the huge tobacco lawsuits a few years back. Unfortunately that was back when more people smoked, so there was more money for teh anti-smoking campaigners to extort.  Now that the number of smokers is actually dropping, the well is starting to dry up, so the campaigners have to take their anti-business in a different direction if they want to stay anti-competitive. The campaigners don't actually want you to quit smoking, they just want you to feel miserable and guilty about it.

Posted Image

#11    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

i have tried these electronic cigarettes and the only issue i had was that they are fairly heavy. other than that they curb the urge and there is no smoke inhaled

edit to add:
the one i tried looked like a cigarette, not like the barrel thing in the pic shown on the link

Edited by JGirl, 06 December 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#12    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 06 December 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

Who the hell really wants to walk around sucking on a battery operated water vapor machine? Maybe just people who really want to quit the real deal but these will never replace tobacco because no one is going to become an electronic smoker without first being a real smoker and either way unless you have a serious oral fixation complex nobody is going to become addicted to inhaling water vapor which btw I can't see being to good for your lungs in the long run either. These will only take off when someone figures out how to modify them into something that you can catch a buzz off of.
they are inhaling nicotine, not just water vapor.

#13    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,024 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostJGirl, on 06 December 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

i have tried these electronic cigarettes and the only issue i had was that they are fairly heavy. other than that they curb the urge and there is no smoke inhaled

And you can take a couple of hits off it without feeling obligated to smoke a whole cigarette.

#14    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostMichelle, on 06 December 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

And you can take a couple of hits off it without feeling obligated to smoke a whole cigarette.
yes exactly - and i could also have a puff or two while in the house which is something i can't do with a normal cigarette. there is no smell and no smoke.

#15    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

Seems to be a win-win for everybody.

Smoking is bad for you, we all know that, but some people just aren't going to quit.

This sort of thing allows them to still do it, and makes it much safer for everyone.

I think its a great idea.

Light em up! (figuratively speaking)

Why are the anti-smoking people upset?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users