Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do dogs known when they are close to death?

dog death

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

They have much greater senses than us for sure.

My mothers' Yorkshire Terrier was barking like mad one night and scratching the wall that led to the next door neighbor's house. The next day, said neighbor was found dead due to a heart attack or some other bodily cause...weird. I've heard of a few of these kind of situations.

It's been said that dogs can smell cancer too. There was this woman who had weird moles on her leg that the dog kept sniffing; she got 'em checked out and it turns out it was skin cancer.

For those who believe in the metaphysical, this is an easy call but for someone like myself, I tend to side with the scientific approach of chemical release and sensory organs. Check out these senses that various bugs and animals have: http://faculty.washi...dler/amaze.html

Edited by Sean93, 12 January 2013 - 10:16 PM.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#17    shadowlark

shadowlark

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 08 December 2012 - 01:45 AM, said:

Without a doubt, in my opininion, they know.

My old yellow lab was off his food for a couple of days and then one night he wanted out, which wasn't odd. The next morning I expected to find him outside but he was no where to be found. This was a dog that never left my yard, unless I took him with me, for his entire life.

I found out the next day that he went to the far end of the street and died on a stranger's porch. He knew. :(

That's what happened to our sheepdog/terrier mix, Wade. We had him for about 15 years. He was a mostly outdoor dog, out in the country, but never wandered far. One day, my mum called and said he wasn't looking too great and she didn't think he'd make it to the weekend. Two days later, they couldn't find him. My dad and brother looked for days, going up and down the backroads, into parts of the woods. Didn't find him. We knew he'd gone away to find somewhere to die. He knew. :(

#18    RavenEyes19

RavenEyes19

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

I worry about my elderly golden retriever. He's gotten so much more affectionate in the last two months. He never wants to leave our sides and he's started sleeping in the bedrooms next to the beds (something he's never done) He's showing no signs that he's physically ill though. He's still eating fine and no sign of pain. Maybe its one of us that's ill and doesn't know it yet..that's worrying.

#19    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,925 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostRavenEyes19, on 13 January 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

I worry about my elderly golden retriever. He's gotten so much more affectionate in the last two months. He never wants to leave our sides and he's started sleeping in the bedrooms next to the beds (something he's never done) He's showing no signs that he's physically ill though. He's still eating fine and no sign of pain. Maybe its one of us that's ill and doesn't know it yet..that's worrying.
Being elderly he could just be making up for his lack of exuberance and energy that he used to use to play with by seeking company/companionship instead, it must get boring not being able to run about and being on his own too.  I hope you are all doing okay, either way.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#20    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,094 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostRavenEyes19, on 13 January 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

I think it’s either what libstaK said, either him sensing his time is about to come. I don’t think it’s one of you because like other people pointed out, dogs can actually show which body part of ill person worries them.
I guess he'd be focused on the ill person if not at the specific body part, not both of them. (When they sense heart attacks or epileptic seizures they don't sniff at people's chests or heads, they "guard" the person that is about to have those.)

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#21    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Dogs are empathic.That's why we bred them to become man's best friend.

#22    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

Yes dogs do know when they will pass on.

Also tagged with dog, death

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users