Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

How Did the Oracle at Delphi Really Prophesy?

oracle delphi prophesy

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,358 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

The Oracle at Delphi is referenced throughout Greek myths and history. Supposedly she was rendered psychic by Apollo. Realistically, she was off her skull on gas that seeped out of the fissures of the temple in which she lived. Here is the scientific explanation for what caused this woman to utter her confused prophecies.

http://news.discover...#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Posted Image

#2    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I remember hearing somewhere that the Oracles chewed on a plant that "aided" their "prophesying". I can't remember if we were told that in Greece or I read it somewhere later.

#3    Dontlisten2me

Dontlisten2me

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

As the movie "300" told, it was a bunch of girls getting high saying random things and the priests explained it out and/or I'm looking at it like Nostradamus and Edgar Cayce. I think someone intelligent is planting thoughts in minds.

Edited by kampz, 08 December 2012 - 04:21 AM.

#4    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

It wasn't the ramblings that people listened to. It was the priests' interpretations.

#5    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,715 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

They looked into this on 'Digging for The Truth'.  Quite interesting, IMO.  Gases coming up through fissures in a volcanic area is what was determined.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#6    Dracos Nightwolf

Dracos Nightwolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

I like how no one here is actually addressing the issue... You are all just looking for a rational way that the oracle went into a altered state, but are flat out ignoring the fact that she could give true answers..

I'm not saying that she wasn't stoned off her ass... But the fact that she was able to divine answers that were reliable (at least far more often than not)... Even if it wasn't 100% accurate, it was still more than chance would say that she could get right.

Lets face it, you can smoke/drink/eat/snort almost anything, get ****ed up, and start trying to tell the future... But what percent of what would come out your mouth would be right? But at Delphi, she was right enough that she was considered reliable...

#7    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,559 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

They made stuff up.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#8    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostDracos Nightwolf, on 08 March 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

I like how no one here is actually addressing the issue... You are all just looking for a rational way that the oracle went into a altered state, but are flat out ignoring the fact that she could give true answers..

I'm not saying that she wasn't stoned off her ass... But the fact that she was able to divine answers that were reliable (at least far more often than not)... Even if it wasn't 100% accurate, it was still more than chance would say that she could get right.

Lets face it, you can smoke/drink/eat/snort almost anything, get ****ed up, and start trying to tell the future... But what percent of what would come out your mouth would be right? But at Delphi, she was right enough that she was considered reliable...

Not believing in predicting the future is not an issue to be addressed. I personally don't believe it either. That has nothing to do with not addressing the issue.

The problem with these oracles is, that most of the time, Delphi included, they would say a whole lot of things but it was the priests that interpreted whatever was being said. Meaning that it was the priests that were "telling the future" in a way. And we all know that certain types of people wouldn't be afraid to make sure that the prophecy would come true, even if this meant they had to give a little shove, so to speak.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#9    ascendant606

ascendant606

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• "Despite contrary belief, knowledge is not power. Rather, the application of knowledge to real world situations is power"

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

You have to take in mind that her interpertations of what the "high" people were so vauge and general that it could be applied to almost anything and taken in almost anyway, most likely the recipeants of the prophecy acted based upon their interpertation of the prophecy.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

#10    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,215 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm sure she was considered reliable if her prophecy told what you wanted to hear.

#11    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,056 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

I like how no one here is actually addressing the issue... You are all just looking for a rational way that the oracle went into a altered state, but are flat out ignoring the fact that she could give true answers.

Please provide us with evidence that any predictions from Delphi were actually true.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 08 December 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

They looked into this on 'Digging for The Truth'.  Quite interesting, IMO.  Gases coming up through fissures in a volcanic area is what was determined.
Yea that's what I thought.

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

I think these ancient oracles worked like other soothsayers and fortunetellers worked then and now.  Read your customer and make interpretable predictions.

#14    Quaentum

Quaentum

Psychic Spy

• 1,575 posts

• The number of fringe believers is inversely proportional to what is left to discover in our world.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

How they did it is well known.  The used this:

Posted Image

AA LOGIC
They didn't use thousands of workers - oops forgot about the work camps
There's no evidence for ramps - You found one?...Bummer
Well we know they didn't use ancient tools to cut and shape the stones - Chisel marks?  Craps
I still say aliens built them!

#15    Everdred

Everdred

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

Shakespeare, Henry VI part 2, act 1, sc. 4:

The duke yet lives, that Henry shall depose;
But him outlive, and die a violent death.'
Why, this is just
'Aio te, AEacida, Romanos vincere posse.'