Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

What is your favorite short prayer?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

When you get down,  is there a prayer or  quote that helps you remain steadfast??

Romans 12:3-8 (New International Version)

Romans 12:3-8

New International Version (NIV)

Humble Service in the Body of Christ

3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your[a] faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead,[b] do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

Edited by Cassea, 08 December 2012 - 04:57 AM.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#2    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,233 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

The only thing that motivates, is the 'Golden Rule'. Every version of religion has one, but they  tend to disregard it.

"Do unto others as they would do unto you." It's not a human prayer, it's a human precept.

Edited by Likely Guy, 08 December 2012 - 05:25 AM.

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,234 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

Angels bless and angels keep, angels guard me while I sleep.
Bless my heart and bless my home, bless my spirit as I roam.
Guide and guard me through the night, wake me with the morning's light.

:)

Edited by Eldorado, 08 December 2012 - 05:40 AM.

#4    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference

The quote I keep in my signature tends to help me as well. It's not so much a prayer as it is instruction. It tends to tie into what the 'Serenity Prayer' is about though.

#5    _Only

_Only

• 6,508 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Well I am far from a religious person, but have my own odd form of spirituality going on (I wish I could explain, but I know too little to even feel fit to explain anything surrounding the word). When I am feeling down, often the phrase that comes to mind isn't so much a prayer per say, but a consoling, very short and simple phrase: "it's alright". If I really pay attention to this phrase, which has a way of presenting itself to me in my mind in hard times, it helps me. This helps a lot for me due to reasons only known on a personal level, so I understand if it doesn't hold as much relevance to anyone reading as it does for me, but I hold the phrase special in my mind and heart. And it helps. Often, the most helpful and meaningful things said in my mind take me by surprise. Which interests me greatly, because it is my mind. I admit to thinking about this often, and even sometimes asking that voice inside 'who are you?', to which I get the sudden responding thought: 'I am You'. Which never fails to make me smile.

It's all good for something. Because it's all right, 'it's alright'.

Edited by _Only, 08 December 2012 - 07:25 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#6    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,522 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

What is your favourite short prayer?

OMG

It's short, but its all in there. ;)

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#7    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

I have no ritualistic formula for such things. I simply pray what I think when the moment strikes me.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

23 rd Psalm . Psalms are quite powerful .

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

Miss me?

#9    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,405 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 08 December 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

23 rd Psalm . Psalms are quite powerful .

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.
Yep, that would be my fave too, along with

Two, four, six, eight, bog in, don't wait :P  when dinner's on the table, for those who are not up on Aussie slang ...

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#10    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 08 December 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

Yep, that would be my fave too, along with

Two, four, six, eight, bog in, don't wait :P  when dinner's on the table, for those who are not up on Aussie slang ...

Oh,we say "rub a dub dub,dear god,thanks for the grub !"

Miss me?

#11    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,975 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thankyou.

I generally just say thankyou. Thankyou for everything. Thankyou for another day of life. Thankyou for letting me spend another day with my son. And help me be the best father I can be.

I do this before I go to sleep every night. I never go to sleep without first giving thanks. I wasnt taught it formally or anything, its just what I do. When I'm down I might chat away alittle but I just end with giving thanks.

Edited by Kazahel, 08 December 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#12    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

19th.Cent. (Resurrected by Terry Scott-Taylor)

"Good ale, good meat,
Good God, let's eat."

....................................................................................

"Oh s***, oh s***, oh s***!!!!!" (My first time under fire in Borneo!)

Edited by ealdwita, 08 December 2012 - 01:45 PM.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#13    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 08 December 2012 - 05:20 AM, said:

The only thing that motivates, is the 'Golden Rule'. Every version of religion has one, but they  tend to disregard it.

"Do unto others as they would do unto you." It's not a human prayer, it's a human precept.

I prefer the Platinum Rule: Treat others as they wish to be treated.

It takes a bit of more work to understand another to begin to realize this.

#14    _Only

_Only

• 6,508 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

I also wanted to put my favorite comedic movie prayer.

O dear God, thank you.

You are such a good God to us.

A kind and gentle and accommodating God.

And we thank You.. O sweet, sweet.. Lord of hosts for the.. smörgåsbord, You have so.. aptly lain at our table this day, and each day... by day. Day by day... by day.

O dear Lord, three things we pray: To love Thee more dearly, to see Thee more clearly, to follow Thee.. more nearly. Day by day... by day. Amen.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#15    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

The UK version of post #15 (above)

"Let us praise God. Oh Lord, oooh you are so big. So absolutely huge. Gosh, we’re all really impressed down here I can tell you. Forgive us, O Lord, for this dreadful toadying and barefaced flattery. But you are so strong and, well, just so super. Fantastic. Amen."

(Michael Palin as the chaplain in The Meaning of Life)

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users