Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Big, Old Trees in Decline Worldwide

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 13 December 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

It depends on your pespective. If your an economists and everything is reduced down to its monitary value then your argument would seem to have value.
However the real situation is that woodcrops, as you describe, are virtual environmental deserts compared to a stand of old growth native trees. Loss of biodiversity and its knock on effects on human services is one of the single greatest threats we face as a species.

Br Cornelius

View PostBr Cornelius, on 13 December 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

It depends on your pespective. If your an economists and everything is reduced down to its monitary value then your argument would seem to have value.
However the real situation is that woodcrops, as you describe, are virtual environmental deserts compared to a stand of old growth native trees. Loss of biodiversity and its knock on effects on human services is one of the single greatest threats we face as a species.

Br Cornelius

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?  Interesting that when I google "woodcrop environmental desert" I get this thread.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#17    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,790 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostRafterman, on 02 January 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?  Interesting that when I google "woodcrop environmental desert" I get this thread.

Wildlife requires a diverse range of micro-niches which are dependent on the widest range of plant species and ages of species. Monocrops of commercial pines fail on both counts.
You may not like this answer, but you will have to take my word for it as a trained environmental scientist.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#18    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Yes Old Growth is dying off faster then it should. Luckily it is somewhat renewable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users