Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How Maggots Heal Wounds

maggots wounds heal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,087 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yes, maggots are creepy, crawly, and slimy. But that slime is a remarkable healing balm, used by battlefield surgeons for centuries to close wounds. Now, researchers say they've figured out how the fly larvae work their magic: They suppress our immune system.

http://news.sciencem...eal-wounds.html

Posted Image

#2    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• Dang!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Just don't think that they're worms, when you're trying to heal your wounds with their help, fellas :innocent:

Αν ανάμεσα σ’ όλον τον κόσμο,
νιώθεις πως δεν υπάρχουνε λύσεις,
τότε μόνο δυο μάτια μπορούνε,
να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να ζήσεις.

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,665 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

I've heard that leeches are being used more often in medicine again also.  They attach them onto reattached fingers, etc to reduce swelling where venous blood return is slowed.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,030 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'd rather have maggots used on me than leeches.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#5    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,621 posts

• Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others. -Buddha

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

I watched a documentary where a hospital was using maggots on a festering wound a patient had, the wound was bad and needed a skin graft but it was so infected that it was practically decaying.
Maggots were used to clean up the bad stuff, leaving raw yet healthy tissue alone and then they could commence with the skin grafts.

Leeches were also shown in the same documentary as well and I thought it was a pretty neat idea. It's easy, doesn't involve pharmaceuticals and is non-toxic plus nature is doing the dirty work and is not a strain on the body.
I think it is great.

#6    Melo -

Melo -

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

• ...more dangerous than any weapon is a face of evil, with a mask of good intention.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

Still waters, I love the informative things you throw at the forum.
They're always nice and interesting reads :)

more dangerous than any weapon is a face of evil, with a mask of good intention...

Also tagged with maggots, wounds, heal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users