Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Goddess instead of God

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#1    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,365 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Do you think the world would be different if rather than following a God the Abrahamic religions viewed the Divine as female rather than masculine? Mother rather than Father.  What if Jesus or Mohammad would have been a women?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#2    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,549 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

I am a woman, therefore I don't think, I follow.

Posted Image

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

Oh you are brave DW .Very brave .

Miss me?

#4    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,549 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 09 December 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

Oh you are brave DW .Very brave .
:rofl:
Agreed

Posted Image

#5    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,008 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

Aren't there a lot of examples of this in ancient history?  I seem to recall that women were worshiped as divine from time to time by different cultures.  Maybe I'm mistaken..it happens :w00t: :yes:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#6    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,549 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

View Postand then, on 09 December 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

Aren't there a lot of examples of this in ancient history?  I seem to recall that women were worshiped as divine from time to time by different cultures.  Maybe I'm mistaken..it happens :w00t: :yes:

Yes, there are examples. No, it is not the norm over-all in the world we live in.

Posted Image

#7    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

Does it really matter? I think gender is no more than an Earthly thing. Meant solely on reproduction. One's souls are born here and pass on to the afterlife. I don't think there is reproduction in the afterlife, I see no sense in it. Therefore why would there be different sexes in the adterlife? If anything, God has no gender affiliation. That's how I see it.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#8    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,549 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 09 December 2012 - 01:42 AM, said:

Does it really matter? I think gender is no more than an Earthly thing. Meant solely on reproduction. One's souls are born here and pass on to the afterlife. I don't think there is reproduction in the afterlife, I see no sense in it. Therefore why would there be different sexes in the adterlife? If anything, God has no gender affiliation. That's how I see it.

Hmmmm, theory is lovely and cosey, but in the world we live in, the practice far outweighs the theory.

Posted Image

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,006 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

Prior to the Council of Nicea (IIRC) "God" was both masculine and feminine, or at least the sacred divinity encompassed both masuline and feminine.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#10    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,549 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 09 December 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

Prior to the Council of Nicea (IIRC) "God" was both masculine and feminine, or at least the sacred divinity encompassed both masuline and feminine.

Has this Council (IIRC) (never heard of it) informed the catholic church in Rome? or the Head of the Church of England? Or any of the other State Reglions of the world?

Posted Image

#11    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,611 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

I believe the world would be a more compassionate place where social cooperation instead of competition (both always occur at the same time) is emphasized if the Goddess would have been the chief vehicle for divinity in the West.

It is as if there were a competition between the lunar-oriented worship of the Celts and the solar-oriented religion of the Germanic tribes. As the Celts slowly were pushed back to edges of Western Europe, the Romans taking most of Europe outside of Germania, then Germanic tribes took all of Western Europe after Roman decline, the Slavs occcupying the Eastern realms but with the philosophy of a Viking ruling class. The Celts disappered. Was not Stonehenge first correlated with moon worship then it was reconfigured to align with the passage of the sun?

A balance or better yet a total abandoment of gender altogether is preferred for the next stage of humanity but it will change from the masculine energy that has dominated the world's cultures for the last 5000 years. Coincidentally that is how long some, not all by any means, Christians believe the world has existed. Futher, their holy day is named after the Sun, the day they decided on as a matter of convention for Jesus' birthday happens to be the birthday of the Sun in many religions, the Winter solstice.

Edited by I believe you, 09 December 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#12    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,489 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

View PostDarkwind, on 09 December 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

What if Jesus or Mohammad would have been a women?
A woman marrying a 6 year old girl just doesn't sound right.

#13    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,678 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

Maybe a god would be neither.

#14    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,611 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 09 December 2012 - 02:49 AM, said:

A woman marrying a 6 year old girl just doesn't sound right.

Jefferson held slaves, Darwin believed in race and racial superiority, and Muhammad married his cousin who was a child. All things our society considers abhorrent but most are in possession of the intellect that understands we do not judge these men or the systems they excelled in by the cultural milieu of the eras they existed in.

Democracy has increasingly made life better for many in the last three centuries.

The theory of evolution has led to a radical reunderstanding of science.

And Islam has in its long history burned bright with some of the most liberal and open societies.

Many of the problems today in Islamic societies can be traced to extreme poverty, wealth inequality, both in wealth being concentrated on one hand in the hands of a few within those societies, and on the other hand with wealth being concentrated in Western and BRIC nations.

When young men do not have access to jobs and brides then war will always ensue. If anything their religion can be used as a tool of stability and security if the moderates of Islam were given more press time by the media. Provision of information is essential and currently lacking in Islamic societies.

The idea that Islamic societies are backward because of their religion is rooted in intolerance. That is quickly becoming an outdated notion. They are backward because of extreme economic inequalities.

Edited by I believe you, 09 December 2012 - 03:16 AM.

#15    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,730 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

View PostMistydawn, on 09 December 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

Has this Council (IIRC) (never heard of it) informed the catholic church in Rome? or the Head of the Church of England? Or any of the other State Reglions of the world?
The Council of Council of Nicea (IIRC) was where the books of the Bible were chosen.  It was 500 years after the death of Jesus.

What I find funny is that the Roman Catholics have taken on pagan aspects or practices.  How many times have we heard of people praying to Mother Mary? With Pagan practices they worshiped both female and male deities.  Now, Catholics worship both female(Mary) and male (Jesus/God).  Funny how the female makes a return to such a male dominated religion.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users