Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Goddess instead of God

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#211    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 19 November 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

Mary of Magdala, the Apostle to the Apostles? I can't say I've ever heard her referred to as that. Do you have an ancient contemporary source that corroborates this? Or is this entirely based on your assertion that anyone who reads the New Testament "just a little closer"? I assure you, I've read the New Testament pretty closely. I recall one time even writing a 2,500 word dissertation on a single verse (Mark 9:49) - maybe I need to look closer and a 4,000 word dissertation on a single verse will show you correct?

Mary of Magdala has been known as the 'Apostle to the Apostles' apparently since before Augustine used the term in the 4th Century.
In 'Dialogue of the Saviour' Mary is the one who 'understands completely', she knows 'all', which we hear caused problems with other
followers of Jesus who did not, particularly as she was a woman, his companion and confidant. The first to see the risen Christ we hear.

A major problem is that the selection of texts for the New Testament was clearly done by men with an agenda that wished to diminish as
much as possible the role and importance of Mary in the story of Christ and this prejudice is still very evident today.
But now there is more information available on which to assess what was really going on in the Holy Land 2 thousand years ago.

#212    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,654 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:36 PM

View Postlaver, on 19 November 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

Mary of Magdala has been known as the 'Apostle to the Apostles' apparently since before Augustine used the term in the 4th Century.
In 'Dialogue of the Saviour' Mary is the one who 'understands completely', she knows 'all', which we hear caused problems with other
followers of Jesus who did not, particularly as she was a woman, his companion and confidant. The first to see the risen Christ we hear.

A major problem is that the selection of texts for the New Testament was clearly done by men with an agenda that wished to diminish as
much as possible the role and importance of Mary in the story of Christ and this prejudice is still very evident today.
But now there is more information available on which to assess what was really going on in the Holy Land 2 thousand years ago.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it before but along with catholic priests being married in the first centuries of the church there actually were women priests, especially in areas where women had already had a significant role in spiritual matters. Up until about 500 AD, women were still celebrating the eucharist in parts of the church. In celtic lands this continued into the next century; while as late as the 1200s AD there are references to women priests in parts of the catholic domains

http://www.arcwp.org/art_always.html

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#213    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,750 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 09 December 2012 - 01:25 AM, said:

I am a woman, therefore I don't think, I follow.

SARCASM alert LOL.

peace
mark

#214    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,319 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

I don't think it would matter if god is male or female.  As fo human positions, if the female is topical of todays females.  Then we would be in a lot of trouble.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#215    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,654 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

View Postdanielost, on 22 November 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

I don't think it would matter if god is male or female.  As fo human positions, if the female is topical of todays females.  Then we would be in a lot of trouble.

lol I do love some of your posts Daniel. Now just what sort of females HAVE you been mixing with? :innocent:

I am sure there is a woman/goddess waiting to break through the glass ceiling, and take god's position. I hope she has a good network and affirmative laws action to help her, and  is not just relying on merit. She will have trouble proving experience in the role, and meeting the present job descriptors. Gaea/Gaia might have a shot at it in future. She has at least some past experience in the role and seems to be a goddess suited to our times. personally id like to see Aphrodite given a bigger role in our governance, and mars put on the back bench for a while.

Edited by Mr Walker, 22 November 2013 - 10:33 PM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#216    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,337 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:26 AM

I have to say I draw more comfort from picturing a female deity. Maybe that's because all of the violence that's been done to me has been done by men, so for me the female gender is safer. So the idea of turning to a deity that is generally spoken of or referred to as male, for comfort or succor, would be ignoring my experiences. and if it doesn't matter because god has no gender, then I can use the female form and no one should have a problem with it.

#217    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,383 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:39 AM

There are female deities (one in India and one in Hawaii) that I don't think you want to mess with.

The enforced unmarried state causes problems with the priesthood, and I think even if it didn't brings about a subtle distortion in how they approach things and how they are perceived.  Much the same problems happen with Buddhist monks.  I would if I could reform both.

#218    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,797 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 22 November 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

lol I do love some of your posts Daniel. Now just what sort of females HAVE you been mixing with? :innocent:

I am sure there is a woman/goddess waiting to break through the glass ceiling, and take god's position. I hope she has a good network and affirmative laws action to help her, and  is not just relying on merit. She will have trouble proving experience in the role, and meeting the present job descriptors. Gaea/Gaia might have a shot at it in future. She has at least some past experience in the role and seems to be a goddess suited to our times. personally id like to see Aphrodite given a bigger role in our governance, and mars put on the back bench for a while.

Sorry, while you were sleeping God open the door and let her in.  She is sitting on his lap.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#219    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,654 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostGreenmansGod, on 23 November 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

Sorry, while you were sleeping God open the door and let her in.  She is sitting on his lap.
In that case, by tomorrow she'll have his job and he will be up on  a sexual harassment charge.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#220    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

View PostMistydawn, on 09 December 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

Has this Council (IIRC) (never heard of it) informed the catholic church in Rome? or the Head of the Church of England? Or any of the other State Reglions of the world?

http://en.wikipedia....f_Nicaea  might explain what council he is referring to.

#221    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,797 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 24 November 2013 - 05:02 AM, said:

In that case, by tomorrow she'll have his job and he will be up on  a sexual harassment charge.

In other words your God is a sexist rube?  He will be ok as long as she doesn't catch him fooling around with Mary, again.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#222    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,654 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostGreenmansGod, on 24 November 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

In other words your God is a sexist rube?  He will be ok as long as she doesn't catch him fooling around with Mary, again.

My god is neither sexual nor sexist, and cannot be,  not  being even human in form. But it sounds like the god in this conversation might be.

Edited by Mr Walker, 24 November 2013 - 12:59 PM.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#223    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,319 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:58 AM

View PostGreenmansGod, on 24 November 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

Wouldn't have had to do so once before he can do it again.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#224    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Apart from the personal preference of how one views a deity or deities as male or female or both, it is the impact this has in societies which
would seem to be important in reflecting attitudes to gender and dictating roles which are then considered socially 'acceptable'.

This has clearly been changing in many parts of the world but only in some parts, and only in very recent years, with strong resistance from
some reactionary quarters and parts of the 'Establishments'.

Huge sections of the 'Christian' church are trying to resist the changes that are taking place but it is now clear that they cannot be called
true Christians or followers of Christ because we now know from biblical and other texts that Jesus was advocating a role for women that
did not conform to the rules of the society of his day and his close companion and confidant was a woman, Mary of Magdala.
The Christian religion has just been used, for centuries, by people with particular agendas, to promote these agendas, rather than following the teachings
and example shown by Jesus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users