Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Sir Patrick Moore passes away.... [merged]

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,540 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

British astronomer and broadcaster Sir Patrick Moore has died at his home at the age of 89, a group of his friends and staff say.
The broadcaster "passed away peacefully at 12.25pm this afternoon", in Selsey, West Sussex, they said in a statement.

http://news.sky.com/...89-dies-at-home

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,459 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

:( Truly there was no one like him, and no one who possibly could be like him.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

RIP Sir Moore. A true legend and the only person I think can compare to your contribution to bringing Astronomy to the people  would be Sir David Attenborough with his nature docunentaries. Thank you.

#4    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,022 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

View Post747400, on 09 December 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

:( Truly there was no one like him, and no one who possibly could be like him.
I second that. Very sad news :(

Posted Image

#5    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Sir Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore looked for all the world as if he would live forever on his BBC programme, The Sky At Night.
He passed away peacefully at his home in West Sussex, a statement from his friends and colleagues said.
Sir Patrick was a television eternal, a man who lit up our screens for over 50 years, illuminating us with his knowledge of the celestial bodies glittering in the night's sky and entertaining us with his uniquely eccentric style.

http://tv.uk.msn.com...er-dies-aged-89

So sad. He is part of the reason I came to love wondering about the stars and galaxies. Used to stay up very late as a kid to watch his show.

Rest in Peace Patrick.

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,800 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

The Sky At Night was the longest-running programme with the same presenter in television history. Sir Patrick will be sorely missed.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

R.I.P

#8    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,090 posts

• Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

A sad day, & for once somebody who actually deserves the praises given to him.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#9    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,551 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

such a shame i was only watching the sky at night last night on the iplayer. when i think astronomy i think Sir Patrick Moore.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#10    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,551 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

one of the greats gone. i'll miss him, i love watching the sky at night, it wont be the same without him. :no:

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#11    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Sir Patrick is responsible for countless numbers of people becoming interested in astronomy, not just through his TV appearances but through the dozens of books he wrote.

In my case it was not Sir Patrick that got me interested in all things space related, it was watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon when I was three years old. It was, however, reading his books and watching the Sky at Night that kept that interest alive.

I have been lucky enough to have met Sir Patrick several times. The first thing you noticed was the size of the man, he was 6'3" and huge, but his personality was bigger still. In the talks and lectures I attended the only thing more impressive than his knowledge and enthusiasm was his sense of humour.

The world of astronomy lost a great today, not so much for his scientific contributions but more for the huge contributions made by those who he inspired to look to the skies.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 09 December 2012 - 11:06 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#12    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

View Postealdwita, on 09 December 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

The Sky At Night was the longest-running programme with the same presenter in television history. Sir Patrick will be sorely missed.

I agree he will be sorely missed...He is a legend

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 09 December 2012 - 11:12 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#13    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,821 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

A true legend, what he didn´t know about the moon could be written on the back of a postage stamp!

He will be sorely missed, I grew up following the "Sky At Night"... a Gentleman Scientist if ever there was one. and... self taught, but the USA and (then) USSR used his research and knowledge to help their own missions to the moon.

I salute you Sir

#14    RamblingRebel

RamblingRebel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Me and a friend were lucky enough to have a private 'lecture' on a couple of occasions by the great Sir Patrick over the phone.

We were out at around 2-3am one morning with his 10" or 12" telescope checking the skies out, admittedly we had had a skinful that night as it was a weekend and had been in the pub earlier.

Anyway my mate decides to phone the big man up in the middle of the night.  We figured he's an astronomer, of course he will be up looking at the sky, and sure enough he answered his phone and remembered my friend by name from a previous conversation they had in person a month or so before. (when he gave him his number)

The gentleman was a true legend.  How many people would give out their private number to a complete stranger in his early 20's and tell him it is OK to call him anytime if he needs any help.

He was incredibly helpful, and went way beyond our initial questions.  He came across as a really decent bloke, asked us how we were and what had we been observing, and everything seemed to be easy to understand.  At one point I called him Mr Moore, and he kinda chuckled like a kid and said.  "no, no, no, no, no.  Patrick is fine!"

Yeah, he was a legend.  I'll never forget the man!

I do hope that they celebrate his life properly at some point.  I'd have no complaints if they renamed the Moon after Him! :tsu:

Rest in Peace Sir Patrick.

#15    HawkLord

HawkLord

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 336 posts

• I reserve the right to change my mind when better and more accurate info becomes available.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I used to watch  his show. His enthusiasm was infectious its the reason I started stargazing. He is an icon of science and he will be missed. Rest in peace sir. :nw:

The rocks in my head fill the holes in yours.

It is easy to spout the wisdom of others when you have none of your own.

Insult me all you like but remember that i have a sword.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users