Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is the MSM ignoring a sinkhole epidemic?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostEllJay, on 11 December 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

So what is the science? The corporation propaganda? This guy at least took the time to talk to the people living with the consequences of fracking. Many of the know that the gas in the water turned up after the fracking begun, so yeah, I can see them making the connection and see the correlation.
So yeah, I'm posting something from Gasland, and you can take it or leave it.

Gas in the water supply is a fairly common problem in areas where, wait for it, there are natural gas deposits.  Shocking that anyone would want to drill for gas there.

One simply has to install a simple bleeder valve on the water well and the problem is solved.

I know, not as dramatic and fun as setting your water on fire.

Funny that you can easily see the "corporate propaganda" in the science, but yet can't see the propaganda in the film Gasland.  Notice that I didn't say that you should support or not support fracking.  I said to simply base your decision on the science.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#17    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,798 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostRafterman, on 13 December 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

Gas in the water supply is a fairly common problem in areas where, wait for it, there are natural gas deposits.  Shocking that anyone would want to drill for gas there.

One simply has to install a simple bleeder valve on the water well and the problem is solved.

Funny that you can easily see the "corporate propaganda" in the science, but yet can't see the propaganda in the film Gasland.  Notice that I didn't say that you should support or not support fracking.  I said to simply base your decision on the science.

Did you see the fact that most of them didn't have gas in their water supply before the fracking begun, and neither did they have their illnesses.
The propaganda in the film is of environmental and humanitarian kind, the corporation propaganda is hand-waving BS and downplaying risks and impact all for the mighty dollar.

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#18    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,555 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostRafterman, on 13 December 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

Would sure save on water heating costs if it could be harnesed properly. :lol:

Isn't it a small wonder though, that fracking companies are excempt from complying with water purity/quality laws, and local/regional councils aren't even told what chemicals are being used..
Fracking or fracturing the bedrock of the Earth must also play a big part in sinkhole development, same as oil companies replacing Huge deposits of Dense oil with not-as-dense water. I think of it like The Earth beneath our feet being held up with Tar Pre 70's, and the tar being removed & replaced with slushy water istead.. Now that's got to have an effect on the land above. And as Highlander pointed out, pumping water from aquifiers leaves naught but a big hole where there was water..

#19    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostEllJay, on 13 December 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

Did you see the fact that most of them didn't have gas in their water supply before the fracking begun, and neither did they have their illnesses.
The propaganda in the film is of environmental and humanitarian kind, the corporation propaganda is hand-waving BS and downplaying risks and impact all for the mighty dollar.

Again, stick to the science and not the propaganda.

Here's a relevant podcast about the burning water:  http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4275

When the Colorado Oil & Gas Conservation Commission investigated the burning water of the well owner most prominently featured in Gasland, whose tap water was gray and actually effervesced, they found that his methane was naturally occurring and had nothing to do with any natural gas drilling. His water well had been drilled directly into a shallow natural gas deposit. Nevertheless, Gasland portrayed this as a consequence of fracking, which is wrong at two levels.

Here's the actual COGIS report:  http://www.anga.us/m...ort 5-23-08.pdf

So basically what you're saying is that you only believe YOUR kind of propaganda.  And can you clarify how science is propaganda?

Again, I'm not telling anyone to be for or against fracking - don't watch Gasland or read industry publications and claim you know all about the issue.  I'm simply saying, do your homework.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

#20    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 13 December 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

Ouch, sucks to be living in Florida..
I think these aren't a fracking related thing..
But still, One has to ask, whats going on for so many to appear in only 50 years.
Posted Image

It's actually a common occurrence in Florida due to most of Florida sitting on limestone formations.

Very informative State of Florida website:

http://www.dep.state...cs/sinkhole.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users