Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Understanding what you read


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    bacca

bacca

    Puppet master of Vision

  • Member
  • 2,424 posts
  • Joined:22 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • Allasourous
    Jan 2003-Sept 25 2005
    Have a SUPER SPARKLEY DAY

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

I am taking classes and the current class is Childrens Literature. We have weekly questions to answer and discuss among the class. My current instructor seems to feel that the only way to accurately discuss is to use direct quotations from text books. She told me that if you have an opinion it came from some place and that where it came from needs to be given credit....I do not agree with this, although my ideas may come from places it normally is a collection of information from so many places over so many years that it would be impossible to give direct quotes...Does anyone have any ideas how to deal with this type of issue? I don't quote anything normally, I take what i read, have an opinion state it I can explain the why etc...but this whole concept of needing to direct quote is killing me, I hate to fail a class because I think the teacher is stupid but I am running out of options other that losing my temper with the woman....any help of how to deal with this would be appreciated....   :unsure2:

Commit random acts of kindness


Careful what you wish for, you just might get it!!!

#2    Cassea

Cassea

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

When dealing with popular literature.  You should remember.  There is nothing new under the sun.   If you are giving critical analysis.  Brilliant as you might think yourself to be, someone probably. Said it first.   So do research and cite.   There is nothing wrong with having a similar opinion.  Just cite it. easy as pie.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#3    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,016 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

could it be that your instructor wants you to use quotes from the literature to demonstrate/support your opinion, rather than asking for the quotes that helped create your opinon in the first place?


#4    bacca

bacca

    Puppet master of Vision

  • Member
  • 2,424 posts
  • Joined:22 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • Allasourous
    Jan 2003-Sept 25 2005
    Have a SUPER SPARKLEY DAY

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

I don't need to research she wants a cut and paste answer which goes against everything that makes sense to me! Cassea I agree that it should be easy as pie, I tried but I did specifically what she asked for cut and paste etc and still didn't work...I have no patience for this type of thing, I can at least respect opinions that differ from mine if someone really believes what they say (not always polite about it) but to say that there are no views that can't be quoted isn't true either...everything is open for interpretation I'm just trying to find a way to avoid making a big deal about this...how do you explain your personal opinion without using your personal opinion?

Commit random acts of kindness


Careful what you wish for, you just might get it!!!

#5    Cassea

Cassea

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:16 AM

Most college professors do this. To get you prepped. For writing the thesis.  You can't talk about your opinion in a thesis.  That isn't how a research paper works.  So you have to learn to cite.  Even if you don't quote, the idea is still citeable.  It sounds like you are. Misinterpreteing what she is really saying.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#6    bacca

bacca

    Puppet master of Vision

  • Member
  • 2,424 posts
  • Joined:22 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • Allasourous
    Jan 2003-Sept 25 2005
    Have a SUPER SPARKLEY DAY

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

View PostCassea, on 11 December 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

Most college professors do this. To get you prepped. For writing the thesis.  You can't talk about your opinion in a thesis.  That isn't how a research paper works.  So you have to learn to cite.  Even if you don't quote, the idea is still citeable.  It sounds like you are. Misinterpreteing what she is really saying.

One it isn't a thesis or paper or anything even remotely formal it is a discussion that you have in a classroom...What I need to learn is not how to cite I am well aware of how to do so, perhaps you should work on reading comprehension before you post to other people? I appreciate opinions that are helpful or constructive but not those who simply try to put in two cents worth that don't have any point

Commit random acts of kindness


Careful what you wish for, you just might get it!!!

#7    Cassea

Cassea

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

View Postbacca, on 11 December 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

I am taking classes and the current class is Childrens Literature. We have weekly questions to answer and discuss among the class. My current instructor seems to feel that the only way to accurately discuss is to use direct quotations from text books. She told me that if you have an opinion it came from some place and that where it came from needs to be given credit....I do not agree with this, although my ideas may come from places it normally is a collection of information from so many places over so many years that it would be impossible to give direct quotes...Does anyone have any ideas how to deal with this type of issue? I don't quote anything normally, I take what i read, have an opinion state it I can explain the why etc...but this whole concept of needing to direct quote is killing me, I hate to fail a class because I think the teacher is stupid but I am running out of options other that losing my temper with the woman....any help of how to deal with this would be appreciated....   :unsure2:

You said this.  She's telling you to cite your source.  Citations don't necessarily mean quotes. Ideas can be cited and should be cited as well.  This is what she's saying to you.  You don't understand it.  She's stated it clearly. I've explained it.  Your haughty attitude is the problem.  Not the teacher.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#8    bacca

bacca

    Puppet master of Vision

  • Member
  • 2,424 posts
  • Joined:22 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • Allasourous
    Jan 2003-Sept 25 2005
    Have a SUPER SPARKLEY DAY

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:45 AM

View PostCassea, on 11 December 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

You said this.  She's telling you to cite your source.  Citations don't necessarily mean quotes. Ideas can be cited and should be cited as well.  This is what she's saying to you.  You don't understand it.  She's stated it clearly. I've explained it.  Your haughty attitude is the problem.  Not the teacher.

NO, my haughty attitude is that even when it was cited she didn't like it, you have EXPLAINED nothing...I'm not sure what you think you have explained but you didn't understand what I was asking, perhaps it is a comprehension issue for you, I know what she is asking and i have asked many people how to handle the issue, I don't want to make a bigger issue than necessary, meaning that I normally like to find a way to fix things, even if it means more work for me, you however seem to have an issue with me tonight, if you have nothing helpful or constructive to say other than to try and make yourself feel smart, give it up, it isn't going to work....You can't state that you explained something clearly that I honestly gave very little detail about, I wanted basic opinions not people trying to prove a point...now go sit down before you hurt yourself

Commit random acts of kindness


Careful what you wish for, you just might get it!!!

#9    Cassea

Cassea

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

Why don't you just do what she asks.  Instead of calling her stupid.

Edited by Cassea, 11 December 2012 - 04:49 AM.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#10    bacca

bacca

    Puppet master of Vision

  • Member
  • 2,424 posts
  • Joined:22 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • Allasourous
    Jan 2003-Sept 25 2005
    Have a SUPER SPARKLEY DAY

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:55 AM

View PostCassea, on 11 December 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

Why don't you just do what she asks.  Instead of calling her stupid.

because I did!!! I did exactly what she asked and she was still not happy, I am one of those annoying people who wants an A in every class, and normally gets it...I work really hard to make sure that I get the grades that I want and at this point I am pissed off with the instructor because there doesn't seem to be a right way to do it...

Commit random acts of kindness


Careful what you wish for, you just might get it!!!

#11    Cassea

Cassea

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

if you did it.  She wouldn't have said you didn't.  You are not making any sense.   What kind of sense does that make? She told you what to do.  I repeated it.  It seems obvious to me. You say you don't do that. Then you say you do. Then you say she said you didn't. And you call her stupid.   This is vrey funny. :)

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#12    spartan max2

spartan max2

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,714 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

  • There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

highlight your boook when your reading? highlight stuff that it looks like you might have to quote later

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#13    bacca

bacca

    Puppet master of Vision

  • Member
  • 2,424 posts
  • Joined:22 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • Allasourous
    Jan 2003-Sept 25 2005
    Have a SUPER SPARKLEY DAY

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:17 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 11 December 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

highlight your boook when your reading? highlight stuff that it looks like you might have to quote later

I have things that I can quote, and perhaps it is a personal thing, but I will take the quotes and reword them so that i have to cite where it came from but not have to direct quote with page number etc...but apparently that means I didn't read the text ..... lol I think I need to laugh about this class, it is ruining one of my favorite things :(

Commit random acts of kindness


Careful what you wish for, you just might get it!!!

#14    Cassea

Cassea

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:29 AM

Ah.  Maybe she does that. Because people read cliff notes. Not the book. (Not saying you do.)

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#15    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,016 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

View Postbacca, on 11 December 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

because I did!!! I did exactly what she asked and she was still not happy, I am one of those annoying people who wants an A in every class, and normally gets it...I work really hard to make sure that I get the grades that I want and at this point I am pissed off with the instructor because there doesn't seem to be a right way to do it...
this reminds me of my african lit class in university. we did five novels in that class in one term. not only were they written badly, but my professor's requirements were almost impossible to understand. he wanted something done a certain way and it didn't matter how much you tried to pin him down on it, or ask for examples or tried your best based on what you thought he wanted it, it was always wrong.

i don't think any of us in that class got a decent mark, and as it turned out i had to do a makeup exam to pass. even then it was like getting information from a rock. he wanted me to choose two of the five novels and do a paper on each one base on my impressions of the story as a whole..
i did this and then he still went on and on about how i didn't understand what he wanted from me. i was an A student in every other class (i was taking english as my major with a philosophy class and a sociology class so i was well trained in essay writing) but he claimed i couldn't write a simple essay on a novel.
he did give me a passing grade, but as an A student, the C i received was an insult.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users