Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Portland Mall Shooting

shooting mall mass murder murder criminal

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,037 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

You're wrong, but that's nothing new when it comes to this.  Maybe someone else has the time to educate some of you on this issue because the stats don't lie but I know as long as some people 'feel' a different way, facts will never make a difference to them.  Hopefully none of you are future victims.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#32    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 12 December 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

Either way, someone wins.

For every one person that "wins" (if that's truly what you believe) there'd be numerous others that lose - not just one person (friends, family; mothers, sons, fathers, daughters, brothers, sisters, etc). Nor would the one person that "loses" likely have deserved it in the overwhelming majority of such instances.

#33    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 12 December 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

You're wrong, but that's nothing new when it comes to this.  Maybe someone else has the time to educate some of you on this issue because the stats don't lie but I know as long as some people 'feel' a different way, facts will never make a difference to them.  Hopefully none of you are future victims.

No. You're wrong (see how easy that is).

Why don't you "educate" us on the issue rather than continue on with your nonsensical reasoning. I'm pretty sure that depending on what side of the debate someone falls on they'd be able to find the information they seek that indicates their stance is the correct one.

And if someone is going to pull a gun and shoot me randomly I'm not going to be in position to save myself. It's not as if the person is going to wait for me to pull my weapon and fire at them first.

This whole notion that more guns would equal less violence is a ridiculous fallacy.

Edited by Left-Field, 12 December 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#34    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 12 December 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

Wow that made you come off like a childish little prick. And I like you.

Just saying.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#35    e u n O i a

e u n O i a

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 12 December 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

And if someone is going to pull a gun and shoot me randomly I'm not going to be in position to save myself.
But that's not the point, you see. There will be so many other power thirsty gun toting morons people that can avenge your death!!!

lol

#36    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,754 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 12 December 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

For every one person that "wins" (if that's truly what you believe) there'd be numerous others that lose - not just one person (friends, family; mothers, sons, fathers, daughters, brothers, sisters, etc). Nor would the one person that "loses" likely have deserved it in the overwhelming majority of such instances.

If everyone carries a gun around at all times and in an ideal world, it would (as Sweetpumper believes) make everyone get along better. So then we all win. If it merely turns us into monsters who randomly kill people, then the NRA and gun manufacturers win.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#37    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

View Poste u n O i a, on 12 December 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

But that's not the point, you see. There will be so many other power thirsty gun toting morons people that can avenge your death!!!

lol

Haha. How foolish of me not to realize that. You have enlightened me greatly! :nw:

Edited by Left-Field, 12 December 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#38    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 12 December 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

If that's what you wish to call it, go ahead. The point, however, is that far more people will be on the "losing" end.

#39    e u n O i a

e u n O i a

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 12 December 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

If that's what you wish to call it, go ahead. The point, however, is that far more people will be on the "losing" end.

you know... if I carry around a gun, I might make some friends? if they want to live, that is :devil:

#40    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

View Poste u n O i a, on 12 December 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

you know... if I carry around a gun, I might make some friends? if they want to live, that is :devil:

Well yeah, because nothing says true friendship better than the ones you have because they fear you. :innocent:

#41    e u n O i a

e u n O i a

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

:gun:  :gun:  :gun:  :gun:  :gun:  :gun:

bang bang!

#42    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

View Poste u n O i a, on 12 December 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

:gun:  :gun:  :gun:  :gun:  :gun:  :gun:

bang bang!

Two guns for everyone now? OMG! Just imagine how much safer we'd all be if everybody owned not just ONE gun, but TWO!!!!

I think you're really onto something here Eunoia! :rofl:

#43    e u n O i a

e u n O i a

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 12 December 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

Two guns for everyone now? OMG! Just imagine how much safer we'd all be if everybody owned not just ONE gun, but TWO!!!!

I think you're really onto something here Eunoia! :rofl:

I personally think we should all carry grenades too. But that is just me.

#44    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

View Poste u n O i a, on 12 December 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

I personally think we should all carry grenades too. But that is just me.

Well that goes without saying. Grenades actually blow things up. I mean, c'mon, guns just put holes in people. Blowing 'em up is waaaaaaay cooler!

#45    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

View PostLeft-Field, on 12 December 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Whether they actually carry out the actions of doing something like this, I tend to believe far too many individuals have such violent thoughts run through their mind. While it's one thing for someone to have irrational thoughts when they are angry, it's another thing entirely when they fantasize about over a lengthy period of time.

I know sometimes things like this are random, but often times its a person acting on thoughts that may have played through their heads countless times over.

I don't want to be "that guy," but I feel society as a whole unfortunately stumbled along a more negative path rather than a positive one. And in today's world everything is so in your face that it just becomes too much - the violence, sex, drugs, all those things. It's just too much. You're bombarded with it everywhere.

People become conditioned to such things and they don't even realize it. It's hard for people to do when they've grown up with it since the moment they were born. I thought it was bad enough when I was young, but with the technology we have today it's become so much worse.

I can't imagine what it's like for kids today growing up with so much instant access to everything and all the different venues for them to have these negative aspects of life constantly flashed in front of their eyes.

On an individual basis it can be viewed as something that may not be all that troublesome. When you step back and view things from a societal standpoint, however, you begin to better understand things as they truly are.

This is so true.   We have a passive acceptance to trauma.  It is to be expected.   It is creating a world of victims.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

Also tagged with shooting, mall, mass murder, murder, criminal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users