Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Mini Nile River on Saturn Moon

saturn titan cassini nasa

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,217 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Cassini Spots Mini Nile River on Saturn Moon

www.nasa.gov said:

Posted Image

This image from NASA's Cassini spacecraft shows a vast river system on Saturn's moon Titan. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/ASI   › Full image and caption

These two gray-scale images from NASA’s<br />
Space Shuttle show part of the Nile River,<br />
near the Fourth Cataract in Sudan.<br />
Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech  <br />
<a href='http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/multimedia/pia16179.html' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>› Full image and caption</a>
These two gray-scale images from NASA’s
Space Shuttle show part of the Nile River,
near the Fourth Cataract in Sudan.
Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech  
› Full image and caption
PASADENA, Calif. - Scientists with NASA's Cassini mission have spotted what appears to be a miniature, extraterrestrial likeness of Earth's Nile River: a river valley on Saturn's moon Titan that stretches more than 200 miles (400 kilometers) from its "headwaters" to a large sea. It is the first time images have revealed a river system this vast and in such high resolution anywhere other than Earth.

Scientists deduce that the river, which is in Titan's north polar region, is filled with liquid hydrocarbons because it appears dark along its entire length in the high-resolution radar image, indicating a smooth surface.

"Though there are some short, local meanders, the relative straightness of the river valley suggests it follows the trace of at least one fault, similar to other large rivers running into the southern margin of this same Titan sea," said Jani Radebaugh, a Cassini radar team associate at Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. "Such faults - fractures in Titan's bedrock -- may not imply plate tectonics, like on Earth, but still lead to the opening of basins and perhaps to the formation of the giant seas themselves."

The new image is available online at: http://www.nasa.gov/...a/pia16197.html .

Titan is the only other world we know of that has stable liquid on its surface. While Earth's hydrologic cycle relies on water, Titan's equivalent cycle involves hydrocarbons such as ethane and methane. In Titan's equatorial regions, images from Cassini's visible-light cameras in late 2010 revealed regions that darkened due to recent rainfall. Cassini's visual and infrared mapping spectrometer confirmed liquid ethane at a lake in Titan's southern hemisphere known as Ontario Lacus in 2008.

"Titan is the only place we've found besides Earth that has a liquid in continuous movement on its surface," said Steve Wall, the radar deputy team lead, based at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. "This picture gives us a snapshot of a world in motion. Rain falls, and rivers move that rain to lakes and seas, where evaporation starts the cycle all over again. On Earth, the liquid is water; on Titan, it's methane; but on both it affects most everything that happens."

The radar image here was taken on Sept. 26, 2012. It shows Titan's north polar region, where the river valley flows into Ligeia Mare, a sea that is, in terms of size, between the Caspian Sea and the Mediterranean Sea on Earth. The real Nile River stretches about 4,100 miles (6,700 kilometers). The processes that led to the formation of Earth's Nile are complex, but involve faulting in some regions.

The Cassini-Huygens mission is a cooperative project of NASA, the European Space Agency and ASI, the Italian Space Agency. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages the mission for NASA's Science Mission Directorate, Washington. The Cassini orbiter was designed, developed and assembled at JPL. The radar instrument was built by JPL and the Italian Space Agency, working with team members from the US and several European countries. JPL is a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.    

Posted Image Source

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Maybe there are pyramids, palm tree and crocodiles. :whistle: :lol:

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#3    ash68

ash68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• It doesn't matter what you think you are,but what you think,you are
    Celsus

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Look for a basket with a baby boy in it,maybe he's called Moses too

#4    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Im so glad that we live in this period of human history where we can explore new worlds. We thought Earth as only land.
First Aristarchus discovered that Heliocentrism but not until Copernicus, we all start to realizing it. Then near end of WW I Harlow Shapley discovered that we are in suburb of milky way galaxy. To Einstein and Newton space was static, stars didnt move,galaxies were not discover. Hubble discovered Andromeda galaxy. Then we realized that there are 100 billion other galaxies and each contains 100 billion stars. As Sagan said: „Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people. „
You have to wonder what kind of life is waiting for us to be found.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#5    TheMolePatrol

TheMolePatrol

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

I do too. We really have no idea, I have a feeling there is life in a few random places of our solar system that we just can't hypothosize or predict until we actually SEE it.

My religion is the Universe. So much is unknown, yet you can see it in plain view. If you need an explanation on why life might choose not to contact us, Google "zoo hypothesis"!

#6    Pyridium

Pyridium

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

That was funny, the L, I do believe they have found "US".

#7    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostTheMolePatrol, on 15 December 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

I do too. We really have no idea, I have a feeling there is life in a few random places of our solar system that we just can't hypothosize or predict until we actually SEE it.

True. And Titan might be one of those places in our solar system.

View PostPyridium, on 16 December 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

That was funny, the L, I do believe they have found "US".

Based on?

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,217 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

View Postthe L, on 16 December 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

As you put it, "based on?"

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 16 December 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

As you put it, "based on?"

I watched documentary on NationalGeographic TV once where it say so. :D
Also I have once alternative view.That Titan as earth is alive. Yes, you read me right. That moon it self is alive. :D

Edited by the L, 16 December 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#10    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,217 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

View Postthe L, on 16 December 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Also I have once alternative view.That Titan as earth is alive. Yes, you read me right. That moon it self is alive. :D
Yep that's alternative all right. Not scientific, not logical, not based on any evidence, but certainly alternative.

Posted Image
Click on button

#11    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 16 December 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

Yep that's alternative all right. Not scientific, not logical, not based on any evidence, but certainly alternative.

Do you know concept of Gaia theory?

#12    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

In title said Cassini but in article it said Cassini-Huygens mission. Huygens fits better imo because in the end he was one to discover moon Titan. Beside pendulum clock invention and his experiment with Sirius star.
What Cassini has to do with Titan?

#13    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

I do not think I would want to swim in THAT river....LOL

#14    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

View Postthe L, on 16 December 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

Based on?
Probably based on discoveries here on Earth where there is life in the most inhospitable places for humans.

#15    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

View Postthe L, on 16 December 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

I've heard of the Gaia theory and I would say just like earth, Titan has a life of it's own,  cyclical and sustainable climate more so than some of the other planets in our solar system.  It all depends on how broadly we define life. People are searching for just certain forms of life like would be on earth  so most wouldn't buy your alternate definition of life.  I speculate that everything is evolving toward a conscious life everywhere from minerals, microbes, to plants, to higher intelligence animals.  Any planet or moon that sustains a cyclical climate would be a most hospitable enviroment for forms of life to evolve to consciousness even if not based on earthy like carbons that are known here. It's a closed end view of the life cycle not to see the active planets or moons as a type life form in themselves. I contemplated along those lines long before I ever heard anyone mention Gaia so  I really don't know too much on that subject. Isn't Gaia the old astrological like concept of planets actually having their own soul aspects like we have a soul in a animal body?

View Postthe L, on 16 December 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Edited by White Unicorn, 16 December 2012 - 09:06 PM.

Also tagged with saturn, titan, cassini, nasa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users