Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Spain drops US troops from parade

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#16    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 07 October 2004 - 03:09 PM

...are you missing the point, missy?

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#17    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:09 PM

Lottie...You say the U.S. is insular, there's a reason for that, there's a reason for this expression. The U.S. doesn't have neighbors on all sides as europe does; we don't have to cooperate as you do (with other nations) on a daily basis or have this cooperative nature. You, on the other hand, 'must' do that to survive. It is a way of life or 'second nature' to you, I think. We virtually live alone or feel that we do, except for Canada_ way up there  and Mexico_ way down there.  Do you see what I am saying? Location is very important in how you manifest in the world. Location colors our national personality as location colors every country's national character. It would be a good thing if people would take this into consideration and be more tolerant. Many times you can't fault nations or peoples for things that are out of their control.

erm quick pointer for babs.

Lottie is british and you used the expression "you" so....

You do realise that the UK is more Isolated than america.

We share Land borders with no1. lol how silly does your argument about why the Us is so insular seem now eh???

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#18    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:39 PM

As always you mis-read or don't see the fine print. grin2.gif ...I know she is British. I was talking about europe.

Wun, you have silly arguments and appear to be a baby.

Edited by Babs, 07 October 2004 - 05:55 PM.

Henry David Thoreau...

#19    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:46 PM

oh the UK isnt part of europe now is it??

Damn 21 years ive thought i was european.

Dear god babs where have you been all my life?

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#20    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:48 PM

Wun, please stop. I beg of thee.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#21    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:49 PM

laugh.gif I don't know, but you sure do 'look hot'. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Babs, 07 October 2004 - 05:57 PM.

Henry David Thoreau...

#22    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(Babs @ Oct 7 2004, 11:04 AM)
The U.S. has to help everybody all the time and everyone holds us to different standards. Yes, that is very selfish.

I think you will find that the US doesn't help other countries all of the time. The times that the US helps other countries is when the US knows it going to gets something out of it. Which ties in nicely with why I believe America/Americans are insular and yes I am generalising. Your country is quite literally a world on its own. If it doesn't involve America America doesn't want to know. I am not being rude by the way, just something I have noticed in the amount of times I have been out there.

As far as unnecessary trouble, it is only a matter of time before Spain has to get their feet wet. Yes, a very selfish outlook, indeed. When Spain needs help, what should we say...."Sorry, you are on your own... remember?" whistling2.gif

View Post

I think you forget that apart from the UK,  Spain were also your Allies when we first went to war with Iraq. The reason Spain pulled out was because of a newly elected Primeminister and a new goverment. Spain had already got their feet 'wet'. Spain helped the US...remember?

Edited by Lottie, 07 October 2004 - 07:53 PM.

#23    gollum

gollum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

• CHE GUEVARA
    "La Revolucion De La Gente Cubana"

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:57 PM

Some people seem to have very short memories Lottie whistling2.gif

Two hundred pounds? I'm not trying to buy cocaine!

Dougal: Oho, Ted, the Italians know about football, all right. And fashion. God Ted, do you remember that man who was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him?

Come here and play online chess @ Gameknot!

#24    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:11 PM

Maybe YOU missed your own point? huh.gif

First...you admit that Europe, as many of the countries share borders, have a need to maintain good relationships...much as Spain is doing with France....yet you comaplain over, and find silly reasons to explain why the US isn't doing the parade? huh.gif

Aren't you kinda contradicting yourself? tongue.gif Not that...uh...we haven't come to expect that of you of course.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#25    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:33 PM

Anyone have any statistics on what country is the worlds largest exporter of humanitarian aid?  I'd really like to know.  China's huge, could be them, I have no clue.  Anyone know who the worlds largest exporter of humanitarian aid is?  Or what kind of thanks they get?  I don't know.

Saw that 15 billion of the US taxpayer money to help against AIDS we're going to do.  15 billion here, 15 billion there, one of these days it might add up to some real money.  The common people in the US are rich enough to support it all anyway, so no biggie.

Anyway, what country is it?  The worlds largest exporter of humanitarian aid?  And what kind of thanks does that country, whatever it turns out to be, get?

#26    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE(Lottie @ Oct 7 2004, 11:26 AM)
No not at all. Spain are putting their own country first, much like the US do and any other country.

I agree with this statement. The Spanish donít dislike the U.S., they are just at odds with some of our policies, mainly the invasion of Iraq. Time will heal this, and to expect the Spanish government to go against the majority of the Spanish population is unrealistic.

I think under the present circumstance, the Spanish government did the right thing, as they donít want the masses to protest. Iím still a strong supporter of the Iraqi war, but each country must do what they feel is best for them.

However...I still don't like the excuse "Spain was "no longer subordinated" and "kneeling" before other countries."  

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#27    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE(Seraphina @ Oct 7 2004, 03:11 PM)

Maybe YOU missed your own point? huh.gif

First...you admit that Europe, as many of the countries share borders, have a need to maintain good relationships...much as Spain is doing with France....yet you comaplain over, and find silly reasons to explain why the US isn't doing the parade? huh.gif

Aren't you kinda contradicting yourself? tongue.gif Not that...uh...we haven't come to expect that of you of course.

View Post

I'm coming from the 911 'point of view'...Spain is afraidas I said months ago when they pulled out. Afraid of the terrorists. ph34r.gif  So they will, as your brother put it, distance themselves as long as possible from the Bush camp. ...All this is a smokescreen, in my humble opinion; they are cowards. Now, Sera_ they're in real trouble.... How will they fight off Al Qaedy and sub-groups?  cool.gif

Henry David Thoreau...

#28    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 08 October 2004 - 12:25 AM

Wun, you have silly arguments and appear to be a baby.

My God, that is such a great arguement rolleyes.gif

Anyone have any statistics on what country is the worlds largest exporter of humanitarian aid?

I'd guess the US... cause you have MORE than everyone else. It nothing to do with generiousity, but rather that more of us would bankrupt ourselves if you donated anywhere near as much

I'm coming from the 911 'point of view'...Spain is afraidas I said months ago when they pulled out. Afraid of the terrorists.

Despite that they have been dealing with Eta for decades and the US never came to their aid? rolleyes.gif

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#29    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 08 October 2004 - 12:30 AM

I'm coming from the 911 'point of view'...Spain is afraidas I said months ago when they pulled out. Afraid of the terrorists.†  So they will, as your brother put it, distance themselves as long as possible from the Bush camp. ...All this is a smokescreen, in my humble opinion; they are cowards. Now, Sera_ they're in real trouble.... How will they fight off Al Qaedy and sub-groups?

Jeez... Cowards? Spain was the only othe country apart from the UK that backed the US or are you forgetting that? I have already said this ... The reason they pulled out was because a new Prime Minister, Josť Zapatero, was elected along with a new goverment who wanted Spain out of Iraq. It wasn't to do with them being afraid.

How will they fight off Al Qaedy and sub-groups?

Like any other country.

Edited by Lottie, 08 October 2004 - 12:34 AM.

#30    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 08 October 2004 - 12:33 AM

quick abridged thing on spain
http://www.worldhistory.com/spain.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users