Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Stephen King

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#91    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostGoSC, on 19 October 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

I just put myself on the waiting list at the local library for Doctor Sleep because I have to read the semi-sequel to The Shining (my personal King fav). But thanks for warning me, it will probably take me a month to finish I guestimate. But I have to do this, I am forced to.

I only was able to read about 70 pages of NOS4R2, and quite, it was too abstract and surreal with the heavy character POV. Half the time I was like, What...?

Don't get me wrong, there are some good parts thus far but I am finding it a bit tedious as I move through it because King has this way of going too far into supporting character back story which is often unnecessary.    And he also is getting a bit carried away with his detailing which was already too much.  Detailing works in some cases but, I don't know about in this one as there are a lot of characters.

This was promoted as the sequel to The Shining but aside from a few familiar characters and a few reminiscences it has nothing to do with it and there are a lot of "wtf???" and eye rollers.  I won't spoil it any further though!  lol

I feel the same as you did with NOS4R2... it is very abstract and also with too many characters, so many that I was also confused.  I couldn't get through it the first time, waited a few months then tried again and managed to get through it but don't ask me about the details.  I couldn't tell you.  Which is really disappointing  because before the story line goes all "Dark Towers" it was going well.

I liked Horns by Joe Hill a lot better.  That one has characters you can relate to and is much less ridiculous, as well as minus child murdering psychos... enough of that already.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#92    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,273 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

I have to agree that King is getting way too long winded. Insomnia was one of the best cures for it I've ever found. It took half the book before he started making his point. I just started Under The Dome because it looks like it's gonna be a long read, but everyone says it's good, so here I go.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#93    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

I actually enjoyed Under The Dome.  Sometimes it gets long but the characters are likable and there's opportunity to really get involved into the story.  I hope you enjoy it!

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#94    SCFan

SCFan

ISA 62:2; 65:15; HOS 1:10; 2:23; MATT 21:43; ACTS 11:26

• 2,621 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 20 October 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

Don't get me wrong, there are some good parts thus far but I am finding it a bit tedious as I move through it because King has this way of going too far into supporting character back story which is often unnecessary. And he also is getting a bit carried away with his detailing which was already too much.  Detailing works in some cases but, I don't know about in this one as there are a lot of characters.

This was promoted as the sequel to The Shining but aside from a few familiar characters and a few reminiscences it has nothing to do with it and there are a lot of "wtf???" and eye rollers.  I won't spoil it any further though!  lol

lol ... I know what you mean by "wtf" and eye rollers for sure.

I feel the same as you did with NOS4R2... it is very abstract and also with too many characters, so many that I was also confused.  I couldn't get through it the first time, waited a few months then tried again and managed to get through it but don't ask me about the details.  I couldn't tell you.  Which is really disappointing  because before the story line goes all "Dark Towers" it was going well.

I liked Horns by Joe Hill a lot better.  That one has characters you can relate to and is much less ridiculous, as well as minus child murdering psychos... enough of that already.

For those reasons I doubt I will give NOS4R2 another shot to be honest. But I will look into Horns, thank you! :tu:

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#95    Shiloh17

Shiloh17

The Last.

• 2,303 posts

• "Eve's eve, a new beginning."

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:28 AM

I started reading Christine one night and didn't finish till 3 A.M had to get up at 5 A.M.

Hard to put one of his books down.

#96    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:37 AM

The Dome was a pretty good movie. I love the part where Bart and Homer reconcile their differences and become a family again, just in time to save the town from a devestating explosion.

Posted Image

#97    SCFan

SCFan

• 2,621 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

Stephen King never truly translated well to screen, but here is The Sleepwalkers theme (Enya - Boudicea) covered by a yt user that I have had bookmarked for years now. Haunting and beautiful.

Enjoy!

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#98    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,782 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

I started reading Christine one night and didn't finish till 3 A.M had to get up at 5 A.M.

Couldnt get into that one. :/ Sadly.

#99    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostGoSC, on 09 November 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

Stephen King never truly translated well to screen, but here is The Sleepwalkers theme (Enya - Boudicea) covered by a yt user that I have had bookmarked for years now. Haunting and beautiful.

Enjoy!

Can't open from US. ..something about copyright laws.   Bummer. .. but I do like the music from the movie too.

#100    Sufjan

Sufjan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have only read The Gunslinger. Bought the second book of the Series and The Shining. Haven't read them yet, but I changed my mind about Stephen King. Now I like him. Planning on buying "On Writing".

Edited by Ernest Hemingway, 14 November 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#101    SCFan

SCFan

• 2,621 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostErnest Hemingway, on 14 November 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

I have only read The Gunslinger. Bought the second book of the Series and The Shining. Haven't read them yet, but I changed my mind about Stephen King. Now I like him. Planning on buying "On Writing".

On Writing is an excellent book and so is Danse Macabre.

But I am of the school that vintage King was truly best, that is I recommend nearly everything between Carrie to IT while beyond that is very, very spotty and I can only genuinely recommend a handful of titles.

#102    SCFan

SCFan

• 2,621 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:37 AM

View PostLava_Lady, on 09 November 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

Can't open from US. ..something about copyright laws.   Bummer. .. but I do like the music from the movie too.

That is too bad, I really love this video, taped by a person playing Enya's Boudicea on his guitar with an EBOW. He does an awesome job!

#103    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

I'm in the US and the video plays fine for me.

Posted Image

#104    Maureen_jacobs

Maureen_jacobs

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

Bought Doctor Sleep and couldn't put it down....I believe it dropped late September.  I also read 11/22/63. Very nice one as well.  

His work is fascinating.

I think he has an interesting mind and wonder what he would have done had he not become a writer.

@maureen_jacobs ~ twitter

#105    SCFan

SCFan

• 2,621 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:24 AM

View PostMaureen_jacobs, on 19 November 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

Bought Doctor Sleep and couldn't put it down....I believe it dropped late September.  I also read 11/22/63. Very nice one as well.  

His work is fascinating.

I think he has an interesting mind and wonder what he would have done had he not become a writer.

I have just started Doctor Sleep and it is pretty interesting and the antagonists thus far are sorta "meh" in my book. But learned abit more about the surviving Torrances in the aftermath of the Overlook and more about Halloran's history especially his grandmother with the shine and another very dark figure from his past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users