Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why are humans "greedy"?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,640 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

Ps next year i am going half time at work That wil drop our income from about $80000 to $40000. i wil top up a bit by using some of my superannuation  but it wil still be a considerable reductionin income.

We give a lot of  my earnings away to others in one form or another, and i will continue to do this, but i want to see if i can live on considerably less and trade off money for time, I will have more time to spend with my wife walk the dog etc. I love my job teaching young people,  but it is harder at 61 than it used to be, especailly given the nature of modern teenagers.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#32    KrowMax

KrowMax

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 103 posts

• Evil Listen To Evil Ideas And Liars Listen To Lies

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

It is Natural For Human to be Greedy But We can Control ourselves for not being Greedy all the time....

Evil Person Listen To Evil Ideas And Liars Listen To Lies

#33    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

"I care for at least 3 persons. Me, myself and I."

"Everyone else is so selfish, they just care about themselves. It's only I who care about me"

Some the contemporary mantras we see today, but in reality we are more caring these days than we ever been in history. But unfortunately that doesn't say much.
Most people pursue excessive materialism in hope of fulfilling a inner yearning of something that cant be found by being insanely rich.

Regarding obsessive greed in nature, think of the squirrel collecting nuts, enough for a whole brigade squirrels surviving 8 consecutive winters, even though they are alone. ;)

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#34    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

I'm not sure we are any more greedy than our animal cousins. In fact I'm quit sure humans are the only animals capable of great charity.

Human beings just have the capacity for planning. That's all greed is really about. Insecurity. Animals live within the rythems of their environment. We have given this up.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#35    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

i m not greedy! i am asian :)  i love you long time !  how many dollars you got ?

#36    KrowMax

KrowMax

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 103 posts

• Evil Listen To Evil Ideas And Liars Listen To Lies

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

haha....Every Human is  Greedy in different ways but some can control themself..

Evil Person Listen To Evil Ideas And Liars Listen To Lies

#37    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

Feeling good is awesome, getting more things that make you feel good makes way more sense then getting things that make you feel bad. People feel good because of different things. Personally I could give two flying monkey farts about money besides having enough to do what I want. I like people having friends and good times, those I will always try to acquire.

#38    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,640 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostKrowMax, on 14 December 2012 - 06:57 AM, said:

It is Natural For Human to be Greedy But We can Control ourselves for not being Greedy all the time....
What natural factor makes us greedy, in your opinion,  KrowMax?

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#39    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,640 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostEllJay, on 14 December 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

"Everyone else is so selfish, they just care about themselves. It's only I who care about me"

Some the contemporary mantras we see today, but in reality we are more caring these days than we ever been in history. But unfortunately that doesn't say much.
Most people pursue excessive materialism in hope of fulfilling a inner yearning of something that cant be found by being insanely rich.

Regarding obsessive greed in nature, think of the squirrel collecting nuts, enough for a whole brigade squirrels surviving 8 consecutive winters, even though they are alone. ;)
I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the bolded bit. It is about need and security.

Somehow we have been convinced that what we possess defines who we are, and that external riches will make us rich inside. Interesting that that debate has been going on for at least 2000 years.

Human happiness is a quality which comes from within and is generated by us. And so we can choose what makes us happy. Actually we can simply choose to be happy, no matter what our material circumstances. Being warm and well fed helps, as does being loved and valued, but basically happiness is a choice available to any mentally well human being.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#40    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 14 December 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

I propose a race around the world to settle this! We shall meet at noon tomorrow, in London Square.The Queen herself shall see us off.

As I own all of the fastest transport, I'll be sure to win, I'll be there before noon

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#41    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 14 December 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

What natural factor makes us greedy, in your opinion,  KrowMax?

I believe it's in the genes .. I say this from what I was able to observe over time

I have never met a greedy person who is most selfish, that ever has it bad...  Every greedy person I have met, always and still do, have it good...    I am beginning to believe that only the greedy will have it good...

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#42    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,327 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Not all humans are greedy. I've always thought greediness is in part due to basic insecurity; that in order to feel good about themselves people need to feel superior, and acquiring more stuff than the next person makes them feel not only better about themselves, but also better than their neighbor.

#43    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

View PostEllJay, on 14 December 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

:lol:

#44    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostBeany, on 14 December 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

Not all humans are greedy. I've always thought greediness is in part due to basic insecurity; that in order to feel good about themselves people need to feel superior, and acquiring more stuff than the next person makes them feel not only better about themselves, but also better than their neighbor.
Good point.
I think that's because a lot of people falsely believe their purpose in life is the aquisition of wealth, and that wealth will being happiness or at least cover up other gaps in their lives..

#45    whitelight

whitelight

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:39 AM

It's easier to take from others than it is to do it yourself.

"Wickedness is always easier than virtue; for it takes the shortcut to everything."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users