Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

U.S. Fire Arms laws and regulations

guns control regulations ammo constitutional rights

• Please log in to reply
600 replies to this topic

#46    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

• States are domed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.

- Antisthenes.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

View PostPurifier, on 14 December 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

I think we're talking about two different things here, Drayno. I'm talking about the her continuous effort of her political arguments about the TAKERS as she calls them, that she trying to subtly insert into other politcal arguments, in this case...U.S. firearms and regulations, which has nothing, if very little, to do with what she calls "Takers"

BTW, I'm against gun control. Don't see that it would do any good.

My apologies for misinterpreting your post. It can often happen on the internet.

Either way, I am against gun control as well.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#47    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

What's your real feelings Q-mark?  Aren't you ex-Military or involved with the military?  Would you rather see a nation incapable of defending themselves against foreign invaders or intelligent people with firearms?

I think...and man this is going to tick off some of the right...that in order to own a firearm, you must be trained and certified in it's use.  You have to get a license to drive a car...another dangerous implement...why not a firearm.

I was raised on a farm...I had my own gun at age 12...a .410 shotgun for squirrel and rabbit hunting.  BUT! Our local 4-H group along with the Dept of Natural resources (The game wardens) offered summer classes on shooting and gun safety.  I was not allowed to use my gun or go hunting until I took the classes...and this was coming up in a family of hunters and shooters where I had been around them my entire life.  I have since taken many shooting classes for different types of firearms.  Not because I didn't know how they worked or how to use them but to be a little better with them...and a little smarter.

It starts with education.  Teaching people what they (the firearms) do...how to use them and...most important...that once you point and pull the trigger, it is done....you cannot "undo" that...you cannot hit the restart button and go back one level of the game...it is done and it is final.

I can understand the cry for the regulation of certain firearms and I can completely understand the push back.  The point of a "well armed" militia is to be able to stand ground...if the "enemy" is overwhelmingly equipped...you don't have a chance.  So...many have wanted to keep the door open for assault/military style weaponry.  I am somewhat against this...in a way.  I see how they are mis-used but I understand the rationality of why they cannot be taken off the table for citizen ownership.  You don't want to bring a knife to a gun fight.

But...as a hunter and a tracker for years (including bow hunting and camouflage)...I would not want me in the woods with a Winchester Model 70 30-06 or Weatherby mark 7 7mm magnum and a 3x9 scope putting the crosshairs one me...especially within 500 yards.

The point there was...the most dangerous of us are not the one that can spray the most lead...the most dangerous of all is the "sniper".

Edited by Jeremiah65, 14 December 2012 - 11:33 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#48    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Posted Image

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#49    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,227 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostDan, on 14 December 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
So was the Connecticut shooter part of a well regulated militia?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#50    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,868 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

View PostDrayno, on 14 December 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

My apologies for misinterpreting your post. It can often happen on the internet.

Either way, I am against gun control as well.

No problem, Drayno. I've done it too. BTW, I think there are nearly 350 U.S. Militia groups in the U.S. now, who totally agree with both of us. No worries, man. :tu:

PAWNING RESIDENT TROLLS

#51    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

- Antisthenes.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 14 December 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

So was the Connecticut shooter part of a well regulated militia?

Just a nut who believed the world was going to end on December 21st.

Posted Image

#52    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,459 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

View PostDredimus, on 14 December 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

Ive come to the conclusion that you cant stop a criminal from getting their hands on a weapon if they want one. By setting up tighter regulations it will only make it harder for those that are resposible citizens to obtain firearms for legal purposes.

like times a million(2)

Edited by Sakari, 14 December 2012 - 11:44 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#53    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,459 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

I think only people in the US, and people in the US that hunt, and people that have to protect their property ( not many will understand that one ) should be able to participate in this discussion :)

Just my opinion, and it seems this needs noted here :

I am being facetious...

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#54    The Russian Hare

The Russian Hare

Silent assassin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

• Boat Tailed & Hollow Pointed

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

I should mention that the biggest mass murder in US history was committed with a can of gasoline, that's right it was an arson

The Happy Land social Club Fire in NY City around 1990, killed over 80 people

There was another arson related to labor dispute at a Puerto Rico hotel that killed even more.

Evil people will find a way to do bad things no matter what they have available.

(Above statement is not including OK City bombing, 9/11, acts of war, etc. but only non-political crimes)

"Do you not know that I live by war, and that peace would be my undoing?" - Sir John Hawkwood

#55    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

It was committed with planes. Outlaw fertilizer & fuel too?

#56    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

I have been using guns sinse i was 13, now in my 50s I am a hunter, I am a target shooter, I am ex-military,   If i can see it i can ht a quarter with my hunting rifle at 100 feet ( at least i could a couple of years ago when i last fired it)and  I am appalled at what happened in conn. I can't even describe how i feel about what happened.
,  I would not think of doing something like this. Nor would 99.99% of the legal gun owners in this country.  
but I would without hesitation go out in a blaze of gunfire if someone tried to take my guns away from me by force and i saw them coming.
  we need to stop arguing gun control and who is or is not classsified as militia and find another answer. and no i don't know what it would be. teaching gun safety is great, in My opinion  everyone should be forced to take those classes before they get out of middle school, but it isn't the answer. if the laws we already have don't work making new laws will not matter to people who plan to break them anyways  and you cannot punish someone who knows he or she is doing is wrong and  kills themselves to avoid punishment.  There Has To Be another answer.

#57    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

- Antisthenes.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:34 AM

I want to see them try to take my rifle.

It's ironic that Obama's followers are calling for the murder of NRA members.

Posted Image

#58    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,459 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:49 AM

Prisoners do not have guns, but they make weapons out of un heard of things to kill each other ( and guards ) with.

If you want to kill people, you will find a way. Take away guns, go get some manure and diesel and a Uhaul....Make a pipe bomb, start a fire, poison food or pills, poison water,etc,etc,etc.....

Point is, there are endless ways to kill people in mass, taking guns away will not fix the problem.
Why people do not get this I have no idea.

Finding out what makes people do this will help fix the problem.

Edited by Sakari, 15 December 2012 - 03:51 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#59    Maizer

Maizer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

An outright ban on guns except in some very small circumstances is the way to go. Make it highly illegal, offer buybacks, offer not to ID guns handed in, etc etc. If we can invade 2 countries, tear them down and build them up again with a few trillion dollars, irradicating guns from society is a matter of willpower.

The other alternative is arming children. And I'm sure the founding fathers weren't expecting how powerful and cheap firearms would get.

#60    Maizer

Maizer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

View PostThe Russian Hare, on 14 December 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

I should mention that the biggest mass murder in US history was committed with a can of gasoline, that's right it was an arson

The Happy Land social Club Fire in NY City around 1990, killed over 80 people

There was another arson related to labor dispute at a Puerto Rico hotel that killed even more.

Evil people will find a way to do bad things no matter what they have available.

(Above statement is not including OK City bombing, 9/11, acts of war, etc. but only non-political crimes)

Nope, acts of mass murder without guns are still far and few between. Just yesterday in China a man went knife crazy at an elementary school. 0 kids killed. The U.S? 20.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users