Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

U.S. Fire Arms laws and regulations

guns control regulations ammo constitutional rights

• Please log in to reply
600 replies to this topic

#496    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,263 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

View PostMichelle, on 18 December 2012 - 03:06 AM, said:

Unbeknownst to many, some private schools in my area have certain administrators, military veterans,  who are allowed to keep guns in fingerprint safes in their offices after Columbine.
I was wondering about that. Sounds good to me. I figured private schools should be able to do that but I wasn't sure if there were rules against that because of kids. Glad they are though. Does that get disclosed to parents who pay to send kids there. I would think so.

#497    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,466 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

View PostMaizer, on 18 December 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

I see no more reason for a civilian to own a rifle than to own a rocket propelled grenade launcher, poison gas weapons, or cluster bombs.

Tell that to my friend who lives in Alaska where grizzly bears think her front porch is a nice lounging place. Of course she needs rifle.

Tell that to my friends who live in a rural area not more than 15 miles from my suburban house where they have coyotes that stalk their livestock.

Tell that to my boss who likes to hike in the Cascade mountains and has been stalked by cougar on more than one occasion.

Guns are necessary in some situations.

I live in the Burbs of a very large city. I will never own a gun I don't need one. I've always been VERY clear that I don't own guns, and visitors to my home aren't allowed to being their weapons into my house. However, if I lived in Alaska like my friend does. You bet your ass I'd have a shotgun. I'd be stupid and irresponsible if I didn't!!

Edited by MissMelsWell, 18 December 2012 - 03:22 AM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#498    Maizer

Maizer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 18 December 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

Tell that to my friend who lives in Alaska where grizzly bears think her front porch is a nice lounging place. Of course she needs rifle.

Tell that to my friends who live in a rural area not more than 15 from my suburban house where they have coyotes that stalk their livestock.

Tell that to my boss who likes to hike in the Cascade mountains and has been stalked by cougar on more than one occasion.

Guns are necessary in some situations.

I live in the Burbs of a very large city. I will never own a gun I don't need one. I've always been VERY clear that I don't own guns, and visitors to my home aren't allowed to being their weapons into my house. However, if I lived in Alaska like my friend does. You bet your ass I'd have a shotgun.

I usually add 'except in extreme circumstances' but looks like I missed this one

#499    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,263 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostMaizer, on 18 December 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

I usually add 'except in extreme circumstances' but looks like I missed this one
I define an extreme circumstance where a gun was needed as when kids are being shot. If only another good adult was armed.

#500    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,512 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 18 December 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

I was wondering about that. Sounds good to me. I figured private schools should be able to do that but I wasn't sure if there were rules against that because of kids. Glad they are though. Does that get disclosed to parents who pay to send kids there. I would think so.

:no: :unsure2: You didn't hear it from me. :whistle:

#501    Maizer

Maizer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 18 December 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

I define an extreme circumstance where a gun was needed as when kids are being shot. If only another good adult was armed.

I know, not just armed, but armored enough to take on Lanza and his bulletproof vest, assault rifle, 2 handguns, 30 clip magazines, and loads of magazines. And lets do that for all schools, workplaces, and any public gathering place. How great it'll be. In fact, lets double them because like Columbine there might be 2 crazies than one.

Of course, if we were to ban guns, and if Lanza had a knife, any adult could take a chair or desk and smash his face but no, guns are as essential as air.

Edited by Maizer, 18 December 2012 - 03:24 AM.

#502    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,263 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

Hmm. Thanks, I'll look into it myself.

#503    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,390 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

View PostDrayno, on 15 December 2012 - 04:49 AM, said:

It's not fantasy... Go ahead and ask the Germans and the Russians what happened when they had their guns taken away.

Oh, I forgot, they couldn't say anything because their governments transformed into Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia.

When the real German weapons ban was passed in 1919, note several years before any Nazi activity, it was to comply with the Versailles treaty and had nothing to do with creating a totalitarian government.  In 1928 and again in 1938 the laws were greatly relaxed by the Nazi party so that it mostly applied to actual military grade weapons. So, even with weapons back in the hands of the citizens it did nothing to stop tyranny.  Also, the Soviet Union did nothing to ban the ownership of personal weapons until the Stalinist regime.  Communism was established in a populous country with almost universal personal gun ownership.

I do not know what the answer is as far as gun control in the US goes, but I do know that deception is not it.

Edited by FurthurBB, 18 December 2012 - 03:27 AM.

#504    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,390 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

View PostEonwe, on 15 December 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

In the cases of gun control in the 20th century, such with Germany and Russia, they were cases of Liberal Totalitarianism. Or Liberal censorship.

Governments and gun disarmament never end well for the populace. Australia and the US have different histories.

The US government already has authoritarian mechanisms integrated into its government through various bureaucratic means.

Without public opposition, who is to say it will not further utilize even more means of constraining the people?

Again lose with the truth are we?  One was a case of liberal totalitarianism the other was not.

#505    watoom

watoom

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

These massacres just examples of evolution, survival of the fittest... If Americans don't want to change their gun laws so be it, eventually they will kill themselves off and the more sensible, level-headed nations will come to the fore.

You reap what you sow..

#506    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,263 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

View PostMaizer, on 18 December 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

I know, not just armed, but armored enough to take on Lanza and his bulletproof vest, assault rifle, 2 handguns, 30 clip magazines, and loads of magazines. And lets do that for all schools, workplaces, and any public gathering place. How great it'll be. In fact, lets double them because like Columbine there might be 2 crazies than one.
Well a trained and brave armed teacher or two could just as likely take out these amateurs way before they can take it that far. Who cares about bullet proof vests. A .45 in the vest would probably knock anyone on their ass. Head, legs and arms are good targets. If the teacher hits them first, no matter where, they'll likely be at an advantage. Besides, the shooter(s) only have two hands and one semi-auto pistol against one semi-auto assault rifle is pretty much a skill match.

#507    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,466 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

View PostMaizer, on 18 December 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

Ok, but let's also add that just about everyone I know owns a firearm (ok, maybe 75%) this is because while i live in a big city, I also live in a virtually empty state. People here are outdoorsmen, we're kind of known for that. Pretty much everyone hikes, camps, fishes (and trust me, if you catch a 70lb+ halibut up here, you have to shoot it before hauling into the boat) and hunts. You might be able to make some kind of zealot libtard argument against hunting, but the fact remains that people here do own guns often for very good reasons. It wasn't so long ago that there was a big old black bear running around downtown Seattle. Granted that's rare, but wild animals are no joke in this part of the US and you can run into dangerous wild animal just outside the city limits.. .and sometime IN them.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#508    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,894 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

View PostFurthurBB, on 18 December 2012 - 03:26 AM, said:

When the real German weapons ban was passed in 1919, note several years before any Nazi activity, it was to comply with the Versailles treaty and had nothing to do with creating a totalitarian government.  In 1928 and again in 1938 the laws were greatly relaxed by the Nazi party so that it mostly applied to actual military grade weapons. So, even with weapons back in the hands of the citizens it did nothing to stop tyranny.  Also, the Soviet Union did nothing to ban the ownership of personal weapons until the Stalinist regime.  Communism was established in a populous country with almost universal personal gun ownership.

I do not know what the answer is as far as gun control in the US goes, but I do know that deception is not the answer.

The 1938 laws made acquiring a gun easy if you met the criteria, this is true.

But they also influenced the US 1968 Gun Control Act, some groups allege.

For instance, if you had a misdemeanor, or spoke out against the state, you were not permitted to own arms, after 1938.

Jews, liberals and dissident were affected mostly by the 1938 laws; the other laws, as you mentioned, were passed in response to Germany losing World War I, in conjunction with Germany having its standing army limited. The reason the gun laws were lax was because Hitler trusted his populace with guns. He was the most popular ruler Germany ever had; it was an absurd notion that a German citizen would want to assassinate him. Gun ownership also encouraged 'manliness', an asset 'valued' by the German army. Gun ownership, alongside an assortment of other sports, were considered good prerequisites to service in the German military. Gun ownership was advocated in Germany, but that was because the tyranny only worked because the nation itself participated in it through action or apathy towards its bigoted policies.

But you're correct, in Russia disarmament wasn't realized until Stalin took power.

Edited by Eonwe, 18 December 2012 - 03:40 AM.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#509    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,512 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 18 December 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

Ok, but let's also add that just about everyone I know owns a firearm (ok, maybe 75%) this is because while i live in a big city, I also live in a virtually empty state. People here are outdoorsmen, we're kind of known for that. Pretty much everyone hikes, camps, fishes (and trust me, if you catch a 70lb+ halibut up here, you have to shoot it before hauling into the boat) and hunts. You might be able to make some kind of zealot libtard argument against hunting, but the fact remains that people here do own guns often for very good reasons. It wasn't so long ago that there was a big old black bear running around downtown Seattle. Granted that's rare, but wild animals are no joke in this part of the US and you can run into dangerous wild animal just outside the city limits.. .and sometime IN them.

I'm seeing a whole different side of you, darlin'. You're right...wildlife is nothing to sneeze at in a lot of places. A dog and a mousetrap will take care of a lot of people's problems.

#510    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 13,439 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

View PostMaizer, on 18 December 2012 - 03:06 AM, said:

Dude, read your own article and count the numbers again. I recommend doing it twice.

18 children were killed
killed seven children and two adults
killed three children and one teacher
young girl and three adults were killed

18+7+2+3+1+1+3 = 35

Yup, 35.

Point here, take away guns, people will still go out and do this awful thing, with different weapons. And for some reason or another, in China it happens more often. With more deaths to your comparison.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users