Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Frogs in milk could lead to new drugs

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'd like to know what possessed the first person that decided it was a good idea to put a frog in with his milk to do such a thing?

Posted Image

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 17 December 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#32    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,500 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 17 December 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

I'd like to know who the first person was that decided it was a good idea to put a frog in with his milk?

Kermit the Wise; circa 200BCE

#33    me-wonders

me-wonders

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

Frogs potions for the ancient world.   http://www.amphibiainfo.com/folklore/

Frogs and Toads in Ancient Science
During the middle ages, societies showed more interest in science, namely the study of animals. Although these studies were embodied by myth and folklore, they were the stepping stones to modern biological sciences. The book Physiologus, from the middle ages, was perhaps the most important literary work pertaining to the science of animals during that time. In this book, frogs are divided into two categories; land frogs, and water frogs. Land frogs were considered a symbol of stamina and steadfastness, as they must endure the heat of the sun. Water frogs, on the other hand, symbolized cowardly behavior, and flight from danger.
In Alchemy, toads were also associated with flight, and symbolized the watery-earth portion of the Ur matter (primeval matter). Toads fall into alchemic beliefs as follows: The Ur matter on its way to the stone of wisdom must be saturated in the juice of the moon (milk) in order to be nourished. The child that is to grow is nursed by its mother, who gives her life in the process (ablactatio). This tale was metaphorically described in such inscriptions as, "Set a toad upon a woman's breast, so that it may suck, and the woman die, the toad will grow very large from the milk".
Amphibians were regarded in the ancient times, and into the middle ages, as possessing medicinal properties. Frog potions were used as aphrodisiacs, impotence and infertility preventions, contraceptives, and more. Frog liver was believed to consist of two halves, one of which is the antidote to all any poison in the world, and toad lungs were believed to be the means of  the "perfect murder of a husband". Frogs were also used in rituals thought to remove any thoughts of adultery from ones wife, if performed correctly. Undoubtedly, many experienced illness or death after ingesting or applying some sort of frog-made brew that included the animals toxic secretions.

Edited by me-wonders, 17 December 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#34    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 17 December 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

I'd like to know what possessed the first person that decided it was a good idea to put a frog in with his milk to do such a thing?

Posted Image

:nw: :tu:

What could possibly go wrong?

#35    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Now is there a frog that does the same with Scotch?

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#36    me-wonders

me-wonders

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

I am sure the frog got into the bucket of milk itself.  It might not have been noticed until the dipper reached the bottom of the bucket, and I am sure there was surprise that the milk stayed good for so long.  This really is a big deal.  When Louis Pasteur demonstrated that pasteurizing milk could make it safe to drink, people got very excited about the number of lives this would save.  Most of the lives saved would be children.   At this time, people may have had ice boxes, but not electric refrigerators, so keeping milk cold was a challenge.  An Ice box is a box made cold by a chunk of ice.  People who lived near lakes that froze were lucky, because then someone had a business, cutting blocks of ice and storing it, so it could later be sold.   Of course the ice would melt in the ice box, and have to be replaced.  Not as convenient as our refrigerators at all.

We take so much for granted today, such as refrigeration, and the ability to get milk whenever we want it, and that our milk will be safe to drink.  This is not always how it was.  In fact, for most of the human experience, this is not how life was.   The problems with meat and milk lead to Jewish rules about keeping milk separate from meat and the number of days these things could be kept, before having to be thrown out or given to neighbors who were not God's chosen people (not one of us).

#37    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Yuck, poor frog....

#38    Harlequin Dreamer

Harlequin Dreamer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• Dear Optimist,Pessimist,and Realist, While you guys are busy arguing about a glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely the Opportunist.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

So does this mean if your french you would have fog legs to go with your milk shake.

#39    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

I always said frogs in milk was good, no one would listen, well now I can say  "I toad you so"

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#40    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

Just thought of this:  So all those people who claimed pasturization was best thing since sliced bread???  Are they like ,,,,,,,,,,,, Totallly uterly  like Wrong???????

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#41    judyrad

judyrad

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

• You are not alone we are here to help!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

freedomtoroam very cute... but toads in milk? EW

#42    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

frogs and salamanders for sale. seasonal only. PM for results.

#43    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Now I'm wondering whats really in a squashed frog shot, that I've been drinking in the local. lol  :cry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users