Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Mystery of Piltdown man hoax 'solved'

piltdown man

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,757 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

The mystery of the Piltdown man hoax may have finally been solved by scientists who have been re-examining the evidence.

It was a hoax that fooled some of the most eminent minds in the country and has remained unsolved for 100 years.

Now scientists believe they can finally put to rest the mystery of how one of the most famous scientific frauds in history was orchestrated and who was responsible for creating the fake remains of a human ancestor known as Piltdown man.

http://www.telegraph...an-to-rest.html

Posted Image

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,674 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

What people won't do to be recognized.  This is the reason you should get a second opinion.

#3    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

I don't understand  Sir Arthur Conan Doyles role...why is he a suspect?

Edited by Lava_Lady, 16 December 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#4    HuntrSThompsun

HuntrSThompsun

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

Sherlock Holmes was fictional..bigfoots DNA is looking less credible now

#5    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

View PostLava_Lady, on 16 December 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

I don't understand  Sir Arthur Conan Doyles role...why is he a suspect?

The reason Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a suspect in the Piltdown hoax is because he was really into spiritualism, something that the scientific community frowned upon and never accepted as fact. According to science historian Richard Milner, Doyle perpetrated the hoax in order to get revenge. Some have claimed that Doyle left a number of clues to the hoax in his novel The Lost World which came out the same year Piltdown was discovered.

Doyle was so into spiritualism that he sometimes got taken in by hoaxes himself, such as the Cottingley faries case.

I'm not saying I believe he was the one who faked the fossils, but he atleast did have a motive.

Posted by theSOURCE's friend with his permission. :)

#6    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yeah... this is sort of like "Who was Jack the Ripper/Atlantis found/Noahs Ark found/ect." stories that come out ever few years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,163 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

My money would be on Dawson.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

Next....java man, then Nebraska man just to name a few more hoaxes!

#9    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,163 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

Some of my favorates were the Cardiff Giant and the Minnisota IceMan.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#10    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

So it seems, once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. And, this remainder is often the most mundane of truths.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users