Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Finding Missing Drivers With Dementia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,297 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

A new study focusing on how people with dementia become lost while driving, how missing drivers are found, and the role of public notification systems like Silver Alert in these discoveries suggests techniques that may help recover drivers with dementia and prevent potentially harmful incidents.

Improved Techniques May Help Recovery and Prevent Incidents of Missing Drivers With Dementia

If they are getting lost should they be driving to begin with?

#2    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

View PostHilander, on 17 December 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

What they are referring to are people with dimentia who are no longer allowed to drive, but somehow find the keys and drive off unnoticed. My aunt (not theSources', I'm a friend writing for him) has serious dimentia and once drove away when no one was watching her. She ended up crashing into the side of a Burgerking. Lucky no body including her was hurt in the incident. It's a good thing they're coming up with ideas to find those poor people when the do drive away. The sad thing is that alot of families don't watch them as well as they should, mine included.

#3    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

It's hard to know when that cut-off is sometimes.

The last time my father drove was the 4th time he got lost. The first time was a few weeks earlier, and he just took the wrong road. "Normal" people do that all the time, right?  The next two we didn't even know about. It's not like we had a tracking device on our father. The 4th time I expected him back home at 2pm to go over some paperwork. He showed up at 3am and couldn't account for where he was for the whole time.

It was only after we took his keys and talked about it that he admitted to getting lost other times. No one, including him, knows where he was, and we would've had no way of knowing he was lost.  He was never diagnosed with dementia -- still hasn't been -- but he is unfit to drive. If I lived across the country from him, I maybe still wouldn't have known he got lost more times, until he didn't find his way home again or was hurt or killed, because he seemed pretty much the same in all other aspects.

We went to the police, and they did a missing person's thing.. or a silver alert.. whatever it's called. Took his info, description, etc... and certainly didn't find him. But, impossible to search all the roads of course.

Embrace the impossible.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,297 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

If you don't live in the same community with your parents your not going to know about things like that until it happens a lot, they admit it or someone gets hurt.

I don't know where the cut off should be but like you said there are other reasons for being forgetful and all can be dangerous to other people.

Yes we all get lost but when they get lost do they even know the name of the county or town they are in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users