Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Can bacteria survive on Mars ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    harvey72

harvey72

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Regarding the colour of the Marsian sky: I believe it will generally appear redish given the dust that is often blown into the atmosphere. Dust will scatter the red end of the spectrum more than the blue end; hence the sky appearing reddish. However, on other occasions I would expect it to appear dark blue - same as Earth. This is due to the scattering of the blue end of the spectrum by the atmosphere; and dark as the atmosphere is so thin. In essence, the same atmospheric gas and dust behiour in scattering of light will equally apply to Mars as it does the Earth.

#17    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,697 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

View Postharvey72, on 14 January 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

All this suggests life may be very common, but first we must try and locate environments with which we are familiar; otherwise no government is going to invest in expensive exploration!
I think that is probably wrong, because the only way that funding would be collected is if a exploration mission was relatively near by... inside our solar system. So, I think even if the 3 other closest stars were shown to have Earth exact like planets, we'd not send probes there till we got our feet dirty looking in our own yard first. We have to do with what we have, and Mars and Europa are what we have.

View Postharvey72, on 14 January 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

View PostDieChecker, on 19 December 2012 - 02:29 AM, said:

Thus, I think the red sky is the true sky.
Regarding the colour of the Marsian sky: I believe it will generally appear redish given the dust that is often blown into the atmosphere. Dust will scatter the red end of the spectrum more than the blue end; hence the sky appearing reddish. However, on other occasions I would expect it to appear dark blue - same as Earth. This is due to the scattering of the blue end of the spectrum by the atmosphere; and dark as the atmosphere is so thin. In essence, the same atmospheric gas and dust behiour in scattering of light will equally apply to Mars as it does the Earth.

On second thought, you are right, since the contents of Mar's atmosphere would create a dark blue color, it probably is just that it is not too common for there to be no dust in the air.

But, my observation that the one pic was tampered with is still probably true, since the ground would still be a bright red, not a dull greyish color.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#18    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 15 January 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

But, my observation that the one pic was tampered with is still probably true, since the ground would still be a bright red, not a dull greyish color.

This really is not the place for conspiracy theories and I have already asked that conspiracy theories be discussed in the correct place, but as you seem to wish to be made silly who am i to deny you your wish.

You seem to be totally unaware of how these colour images are made, that they are not always true colour and what constitutes "true colour" colour is very subjective anyway.

Colour images from Mars exploration rovers and landers are taken using black and white CCD systems. Colour images are made by taking multiple images through different colour filters and then combining them. Red, blue and green filters are used to form images similar to how the human eye would view Mars. However other filters (infra-red for example) are often used. When other filters used the images producedwill not be "natural" coloured.

NASA also often exaggerates colours to make details more apparent, or to help determine which minerals are present. These images will also not be "natural" coloured.

Then there is the issue of Mars lighting conditions which make things look slightly different to how they would appear on Earth. NASA sometimes corrects for this, making the images look more natural (this image processing is no different to the "white correction" on a digital camera, which corrects for artificial lighting. Switch that off and everything looks far too yellow).

Without giving specifics of which image, what filters were used and what processing was implemented I'm afraid DieChecker that your claim of tampering, which boils down to a rather pathetic case of, "it doesn't look how I think it should," is not so ridiculous that it should be dismissed out of hand, it is so ridiculous that it should be laughed out loudly before being dismissed out of hand.

Now if you wish to continue making silly accusations please do so in the conspiracies forum.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#19    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,697 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 15 January 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

Now if you wish to continue making silly accusations please do so in the conspiracies forum.
OK. Thanks for the schooling... I'm big enough to admit when I am wrong. And you convincingly showed that any discussions of color here are probably wrong.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users