Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

World’s first 'gay bible' published

gay bible queen james bible

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#16    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,008 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 February 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Well of course it is.  In Britain after an extensive campaign the words "retard" and "spastic" have been turned into totally banned expressions, even in hyperbolic or humorous use.  A man cannot refer to his mistake as, "What a retarded thing for me to do," without giving serious offense.  I rarely get to Britain and so was not aware of this, and learned the hard way.

When a word comes to be used insultingly, the way to deal with it is to take out the stinger, not kill the bee.
If it can achieve that, fair enough.  I think the real victory will be when there is no need for such machinations.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#17    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,493 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 February 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

I think anyone with an open mind going out to the internet to see the discussions by pro-gay web sites of the texts usually quoted as anti-homosexual can see that the biases against both gays and witches were introduced via questionable translations and some cases and by stupid interpretations in others.

The ancient world, including the Hebrews, had no concept of homosexuality as such. They condemned temple prostitution, which sometimes had a homosexual component in the offerings, and some Bible authors (Paul comes to mind) were clearly uncomfortable about their own sexuality. Pre-scientific societies tend to recognize the existence of transsexuals but not of the more ordinary homosexual who typically is able to hide his or her inclinations.
indeed, and you could add to that the whole concept of "original sin", referring to sex specifically, which was completely the idea of St Augustine.
it always amuses me how much "Christians" attach so much importance to those parts of the Bible that only mention things like this in passing, and about which Jesus had nothing whatsoever to say. it's interesting how little of the things "Christians" argue about so bitterly has to do with what Jesus actually said about anything. Really, I think the Bible coudl really do with some serious editing, to take out the bits that aren't really anything to do with the basic thrust of the story or the actual message of Jesus.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#18    David Henson

David Henson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

• "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

I've heard this resent development in atheist thinking, that the idea of homosexuality didn't appear in any Bible until 1946. Its nonsense. Romans 1:27, Young's Literal Translation 1898, Wycliffe Bible 1382, American Standard Versionn 1901, Darby 1890, Douay-Rheims 1899, Geneva Bible 1599,

Posted Image

#19    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostDavid Henson, on 05 February 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

I've heard this resent development in atheist thinking, that the idea of homosexuality didn't appear in any Bible until 1946. Its nonsense. Romans 1:27, Young's Literal Translation 1898, Wycliffe Bible 1382, American Standard Versionn 1901, Darby 1890, Douay-Rheims 1899, Geneva Bible 1599,
That's a straw man.  Go to the internet and get yourself with the correct information.

#20    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

I read the article, which was certainly an eye-brow raiser by the way!

I proceeded to amazon.com to see what kind of reviews it has gained.
I won't spoil it for you; however, the reviews were utterly entertaining! Especially the 1 rated stars... which is well pretty much over half of the reviews.

On a more serious note, I will say that this bible is one that will -not- be adorning my bookshelves.

Thanks for the information, OP :tu:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#21    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostAsadora, on 05 February 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

I read the article, which was certainly an eye-brow raiser by the way!

I proceeded to amazon.com to see what kind of reviews it has gained.
I won't spoil it for you; however, the reviews were utterly entertaining! Especially the 1 rated stars... which is well pretty much over half of the reviews.

On a more serious note, I will say that this bible is one that will -not- be adorning my bookshelves.

Thanks for the information, OP :tu:
Why not?  I have lots of books I disagree with strongly, including the traditional Bible.

#22    David Henson

David Henson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

• "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 February 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

That's a straw man.  Go to the internet and get yourself with the correct information.

The consensus seems to be that the word homosexuality didn't appear in Bibles until 1946. If that is true then it means nothing because you can't get from that that the Bible wasn't making homosexual references or that historically speaking homosexuality wasn't known of in that time. I think it is intellectually dishonest or willful stupidity.

Posted Image

#23    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

I don't know that the word appears in the Bible today; the thing is that it was the King James Bible that introduced the standard homophobic passages.  Look, I'm not an expert in this but I have read persuasive web sites by experts that show that the standard fundamentalist homophobia is not Biblical.  If you are open minded you will seek them out.

If it is, then all I can say is that is just another strike against the Bible being something to take as a guide.

#24    David Henson

David Henson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 February 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

I don't know that the word appears in the Bible today; the thing is that it was the King James Bible that introduced the standard homophobic passages.  Look, I'm not an expert in this but I have read persuasive web sites by experts that show that the standard fundamentalist homophobia is not Biblical.  If you are open minded you will seek them out.

If it is, then all I can say is that is just another strike against the Bible being something to take as a guide.

I don't want to seek those websites out because I know that the sentiment isn't correct. As a former practicing homosexual, meaning I am homosexual but no longer practice or engage in homosexual activity due to my beliefs, I can say that I wouldn't be displeased if it were true, but it isn't. It is, I think, a growing attempt to influence the consensus of the uninformed.

Posted Image

#25    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,489 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

View Postealdwita, on 17 December 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

Can't wait for the PC edition of the Q'uran!
They do not have same sex marriages, only marriages with 9 year old girls.

Please do not quote me on the same sex marriage bit as I have not read the koran. the other bit we know does happen.

Edited by freetoroam, 05 February 2013 - 06:49 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#26    David Henson

David Henson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 05 February 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

They do not have same sex marriages, only marriages with 9 year old girls.

Please do not quote me on the same sex marriage bit as I have not read the koran. the other bit we know does happen.

I've published online a few different versions of the Qur'an and I can safely say that it is against homosexuality.

Edited by David Henson, 05 February 2013 - 07:57 PM.

Posted Image

#27    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,299 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Thanks still waters im gonna have to buy this.. this is great!

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#28    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,489 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostDavid Henson, on 05 February 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

I've published online a few different versions of the Qur'an and I can safely say that it is against homosexuality.
So in todays society are there no gay muslims?  or have none yet not dare come out of the closet?

Edited by freetoroam, 05 February 2013 - 09:06 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#29    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,299 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 February 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

Why not?  I have lots of books I disagree with strongly, including the traditional Bible.

I say why not too.. I have lots of books I agree with partially.. broadening your perspective is not condemning but gives you a better ability to analyze views, understand others and cultivate your own understanding.. I don't think I have one book I consider 100% fact/correct nor a book that is 100% inaccurate.. there is validity to every stance to a certain degree. But I also think sticking to books that are personally edifying is important too.. being all over the map with differing thoughts and opinions can be a psycological strain (for me at least) at times...

But these are general ideas about owning books you dont particularly ascribe to the beliefs of. Conserning the "New Queen James Bible" I think the title is bold and hillarious.. I like it.. if a person is going to both gay and a christian.. might as well be bold about it.. I don't know which is more popular now a days.... gay or christian? Lol we live in some interesting days!

I have always said we should be writing our own bibles... god still speaks to us, he still performs miracles, there are still testimonies about applying the power of god on a daily basis that bring victory to our lives... we need to be writing this stuff down, preaching it and sharing it... there is good stuff in the bible and it does bring us closer to god, I have read other writings, poetry, example of principle living, testimonies from others - now a day people that have brought me closer to god as well, but of course nothing has brought me closer to god then god himself which is my own personal story.

I am glad about this gay bible... I am sick in my stomach about how gay people have been treated by the church and how so many of them felt rejected by god or chose not to believe in god because they know who they are sexually. Now the definition of "paganism" and "witchcraft" needs further analyzation.. yes the bible has been reconstructed over the years.. for these reasons: to control the people, to please the people, and to preserve the word of god.... well we know a lot of the word of god is missing and destroyed especially if we consider each persons life is a testimony. (I know the history and lineage of Jesus is important, dont get me wrong.) But as we are advancing as a people I really do think our religious doctrine, should be advancing too.

I mention witchcraft and paganism because I believe christianity is a form of both of these things but they get the exclusion of the title because they have rights to an even bigger title, which is self-defined as "not pagan, not witchcraft"

Edit: quoter this whole msg is not directed at you I just used your comment as a springboard to address the whole audience...

Edited by SpiritWriter, 05 February 2013 - 09:59 PM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#30    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

i find it funny how people deflecting the topic to islam
was this queen james a muslim ? i doubt it

it's about gay bible .. face it jeez what islam has to do with it ? :D

Edited by Knight Of Shadows, 06 February 2013 - 12:00 AM.

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users