Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

500 detained in China over doomsday rumors

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,036 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Police in China have detained over 500 individuals for spreading rumors about the end of the world.

Washington Post said:

Chinese police have detained more than 100 people, among them members of a fringe Christian group, for spreading rumors about the world's impending end, state media reported Tuesday.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    TwilightSilver

TwilightSilver

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

Great read! Thanks Saru! These Apocalyptic "cults" as I'll put it are pretty much insane. Whoever would hurt people and force their religion upon them are no representation of the Bible they preach. I'd rather have a few people knock on my door than to be dragged away and tortured.... :no:  Shameful....

"I'm struggling to say what I want to... but you hurt my brain so much with your nonsense..."

Quote of the week: "When are people going to learn? The rapture is like a health inspection. They don't anounce when they're coming, otherwise you could let things go all year and clean everything up right before they come. The plan is to catch you off guard, so they can see what state things are kept in an on going basis." - ZeddKnite

#3    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Sorry I didnt read the link but thank you for bringing to our attention from a Human Rights perspective.

I must say I am not suprised. Must be tough to live somewhere without freee speech

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,800 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

While I understand the reticence of the Chinese government to have a group agitating in this way I also doubt anything coming from the "officials" in this State.  I believe the Chinese government fears any religion that would take away the population's fear of the authority of that government.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Christianity is frowned upon in many Asian countries . There are a lot of Christians in China though .
I don't get why they would prattle on about this,as its not a Christian prediction .

Miss me?

#6    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,846 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 18 December 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Christianity is frowned upon in many Asian countries . There are a lot of Christians in China though .
I don't get why they would prattle on about this,as its not a Christian prediction .

From the article:

"Nearly half those detained are reported to be members of the group Almighty God, which is also called Eastern Lightning, after a phrase from the Bible’s Book of Matthew. Widely regarded as a heretical Christian sect, the group preaches that Jesus has reappeared as a woman in central China. It has been accused of targeting Christians, kidnapping and beating them to force conversions."

Apparently if you don't accept this woman as the "second Christ" you will face a horrible death - not specifically at their hands, just basically you will be damned for all eternity, the usual fair yadi yada from what I have read of them.

I am not sure of the claims of kidnapping and forcing conversions, that does have odour of Chinese politics of oppression of it's peoples but we'll see.

The cult is quite pervasive and have views extreme enough to cause real damage to folk, psychologically if not physically, from what I have gathered.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#7    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 18 December 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Sorry I didnt read the link but thank you for bringing to our attention from a Human Rights perspective.

I must say I am not suprised. Must be tough to live somewhere without freee speech

You might want to read the entire article.

It does seem like a human rights violation from just the title alone, but, I think their main concern is that the cult members will hurt other people.  If this state run news paper is telling the truth then the cult sounds dangerous.  While I don't necessarily agree with what the state did, I can understand the fear of a cult related massacre.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#8    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

A Christian group in China wanting to overthrow the "red dragon" would be viewed there as a Communist group in America wanting to overthrow the "bald eagle".

#9    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Haw haw haw!

I wish this would happen to those around here who spread those kinda rumours.

#10    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,453 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Good read..

And good to see at least one government in the world is actually taking action against doomsayers.

#11    zaroaster

zaroaster

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

• god save us all

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

they shouldn't go around frighting people will be back hear on 22nd and then when these crackpots realize nothing happened maybe we can all then enjoy x-mas lunch.

#12    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,036 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

The number of people arrested has risen significantly since this story was first posted up and is now closer to 500, most of which being members of the 'Almighty God' group. There's also been a related knife attack on more than 20 children.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-china-20775882

#13    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

View PostSaru, on 18 December 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

The number of people arrested has risen significantly since this story was first posted up and is now closer to 500, most of which being members of the 'Almighty God' group. There's also been a related knife attack on more than 20 children.

Omg...thanks for the update.

Although, I honestly I probably shouldn't read any more about children being murdered... I'm just depressed fromthe helplessness I feel ... :(  want to do something to help the families but what?  Aside from sending them positive energy.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#14    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,683 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

Man, oh man.. This doesn't really surprise me. China often does crazy things. :whistle:

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#15    TwilightSilver

TwilightSilver

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

View PostSaru, on 18 December 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

Wow...I was unaware of the updates. If you get fanatical, then yes. Lock 'em up. The scariest thing about this supposed "doomsday" are the people going nuts over it and hurting people.

"I'm struggling to say what I want to... but you hurt my brain so much with your nonsense..."

Quote of the week: "When are people going to learn? The rapture is like a health inspection. They don't anounce when they're coming, otherwise you could let things go all year and clean everything up right before they come. The plan is to catch you off guard, so they can see what state things are kept in an on going basis." - ZeddKnite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users